All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Video Snaps aspect ratio issue in preview window

laggerific

I have many widescreen video snaps from various games and emulators, and for some reason they always appear squashed to fill the video preview window. Is there anyway to ensure they keep their aspect ratio and not have it stretch to fill some 4:3 box?

Thank you.

A lot depends on the theme you are using. Keep in mind that most of the themes are geared towards cabs or lower end HTPC so the "windows" for displaying the usual videos are going to lean more towards the 4:3 aspect ratio. What I would recommend is, once you get a little more comfortable with GameEx is consider exploring the creation of your own theme. You may want to look at an existing theme using the Theme Editor to familiarize yourself with the layout. From there you can either create a new theme altogether or modify an existing one to fit your needs with the snaps you are using.

Thanks for the responses...let me clarify to ensure I'm understanding. Tom, when you say that it corrects the aspect ratio, are you saying that it alters the aspect ratio of the source .avi to match whatever aspect ratio is configured in the theme for the video box? Or are you saying that the aspect ratio of the source .avi should be preserved?

Draco...if what you are saying, that the theme dictates aspect ratio, is correct...how would switching it to supporting widescreen .avi's help, as then 4:3 .avis would be stretched wide? Take dolphin, for instance...since it supports wii and GC games, some of the videos are going to be widescreen and others 4:3, so I can't necessarily make a specific theme for each emulator to adhere to an aspect ratio.

Perhaps, I'm misunderstanding, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Draco...if what you are saying, that the theme dictates aspect ratio, is correct...how would switching it to supporting widescreen .avi's help, as then 4:3 .avis would be stretched wide? Take dolphin, for instance...since it supports wii and GC games, some of the videos are going to be widescreen and others 4:3, so I can't necessarily make a specific theme for each emulator to adhere to an aspect ratio.

Please accept my apology for any confusion created as I misspoke about the theme with regards to aspect ratio. Tom is correct in that GameEx in its current form will preserve the 4:3 ratio regardless of the aspect ratio of the video.

This would be an excellent feature enhancement request to allow for the selection of aspect ratio on a "per emulator" basis or as part of the display options to allow for dynamic aspect ratio based upon that of the video and will fit the video to the window within the theme (which, if the window is such that it is normally configured for 4:3 videos, a 16:9 or other aspect ratio video would letter box with the bars on top or bottom - depending on the ratio of the video exceeding 4:3 standards, much the same as on an older television.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the clarification. I would like that aspect ratio be preserved, whether it causes letterboxing, or not. I'll put in an enhancement request. That said, how do I request an enhancement?

Thanks all for your time on this query.

Thanks for the clarification. I would like that aspect ratio be preserved, whether it causes letterboxing, or not. I'll put in an enhancement request. That said, how do I request an enhancement?

Thanks all for your time on this query.

Just make a post in the Feature Requests topic found here.