All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Arcade artwork during demo/screensaver mode

laggerific

For some reason I don't see arcade games bezels during the demo mode while I do see them when playing the actual games. Is there any option to set those to display? I see something about vertical game bezel in the gameex setup, but that just shows the same mame/gameex bezel for each vertical game. Should I be able to set it to show the proper bezel artwork during the screensaver mode?

In the advanced configuration under attract/screensaver there is a setting.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

I believe that is specific to the vertical games, and then it appears to only be the static and generic MAME/GameEX one.

Have you checked within MAME > Default Game Propeties > Miscellaneous to enable Bezels, Backdrops, and Overlays? This would be set within MAME itself, not GameEx.

Have you checked within MAME > Default Game Propeties > Miscellaneous to enable Bezels, Backdrops, and Overlays? This would be set within MAME itself, not GameEx.

Bezels and such are working when I manually select to play a game through GameEX or MAME itself...what I am trying to figure out is how to see them specifically during the GameEX *Screensaver* mode.

If you run the GameEx Setup Wizard and select it's search feature, type in "bezel" and it will show you the relevant settings.

Thank you...I did that and it showed me the Bezel feature under advanced MAME settings which speak to showing the bezel for vertical games. I think I may be misspeaking, though, when I say bezel. It is what MAME refers to as artwork. I see the following switch in the gameex log for when it is running games in screensaver mode "-artpath artworkgameex". In that folder is one piece of artwork, the generic gameex/MAME art. I really like the Bezel info that is displayed during attract mode, which shows the marquee, icon and info on the game...I don't want to lose that.

That said, is there any way to add the game specific artwork that plays with MAME games when in the attract mode for gameex?

Sorry for using the wrong lingo on this topic...

Thank you...I did that and it showed me the Bezel feature under advanced MAME settings which speak to showing the bezel for vertical games. I think I may be misspeaking, though, when I say bezel. It is what MAME refers to as artwork. I see the following switch in the gameex log for when it is running games in screensaver mode "-artpath artworkgameex". In that folder is one piece of artwork, the generic gameex/MAME art. I really like the Bezel info that is displayed during attract mode, which shows the marquee, icon and info on the game...I don't want to lose that.

That said, is there any way to add the game specific artwork that plays with MAME games when in the attract mode for gameex?

Sorry for using the wrong lingo on this topic...

The only way to display artwork is if you have Show MAME Bezel set to No in Attract/Screensaver settings. It then defaults to the original command-line as well as adds the volume switch to mute it. So if your mame.ini file is set to show artwork or if your command-line is set to show them then they will show in attract mode. This does however lose out on the information included on the bottom of the screen.

The only way to display artwork is if you have Show MAME Bezel set to No in Attract/Screensaver settings. It then defaults to the original command-line as well as adds the volume switch to mute it. So if your mame.ini file is set to show artwork or if your command-line is set to show them then they will show in attract mode. This does however lose out on the information included on the bottom of the screen.

Ah, I had a nagging fear in the back of my head that that would be the case. Weird, though, that it can still show that generic artwork on vertical games during the attract mode...so at least it appears to be technically possible? Well, it would be a nice feature if we could get it, but I do prefer the Bezel if I've got to pick between the two...very nice info to have.

Thank you!

Ah, I had a nagging fear in the back of my head that that would be the case. Weird, though, that it can still show that generic artwork on vertical games during the attract mode...so at least it appears to be technically possible? Well, it would be a nice feature if we could get it, but I do prefer the Bezel if I've got to pick between the two...very nice info to have.

Thank you!

Anything is possible. It would just require a change in code. This would be a feature request. Best to post in the dedicated thread if this is wanted. As of now though this is how it works by design.