All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[ RESOLVED ] 64 bit?

simbamame

Hi guys,

Im currently running an AMD 64 x2 processor but im using wondows 7 32 bit, i want to upgrade to 64 bit, but on asking the guy in our local PC shop if all my settings would be saved he was " erm, well i recon so?" didnt really fill me with joy !. So i left! I searched google but it doesnt seem to answer this.

SO my question is.. if i buy a copy of windows 7 64bit and install is there an option to keep all my settings and programs, id hate to have to install and configure all my stuff again, obviously drivers which i dont mind.

Ian.

This article should be enough to get you started. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

You can backup your files and settings and "reinstall" the 64bit version. Personally I would backup your GameEx settings and any other emulator and other important program settings and separately as well just in case.

This article should be enough to get you started. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

You can backup your files and settings and "reinstall" the 64bit version. Personally I would backup your GameEx settings and any other emulator and other important program settings and separately as well just in case.

Nice 1 cheers mate, im lucky that i have GameEx on a removable drive that runs in my cab so should be ok for that and thanks for the link will check it out.

Ian.

Do you have another PC with enough storage space to backup your current setup? I ask as there is the Easy Transfer utility that I used that allowed me to upgrade from Vista 32-bit Home to Windows 7 64-bit and backup whatever I needed to to a drive on another PC. It allows you to save most settings and accounts as well, however, you will likely have to reinstall a few things as some will require the 64-bit version on a 64-bit OS (Shark 007 codecs comes to mind here for one).

Do you have another PC with enough storage space to backup your current setup? I ask as there is the Easy Transfer utility that I used that allowed me to upgrade from Vista 32-bit Home to Windows 7 64-bit and backup whatever I needed to to a drive on another PC. It allows you to save most settings and accounts as well, however, you will likely have to reinstall a few things as some will require the 64-bit version on a 64-bit OS (Shark 007 codecs comes to mind here for one).

Yes i have 1.5 terrabytes of drive in 2 partitions ( plus a removable drive ) and about 800 gig is used so i recon so, 1 partition has vista so that would be wiped ( i had it as a backup in case win7 was ever currupt and i could still have access to the system as it quad boots, i also have a a copy of ubuntu ( linux ) again i can re-install that so in theory i only need about 200 gig, then i can reformat and install win7 64 bit on the c: drive, then i guess its just a case of importing the settings from the saved area?

Ian