All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Emulation poll

mesk

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you emulate the most?

• I only emulate classic games that are unavailable to purchase at a retail store
    • I emulate whatever I can get my hands on
    • Both

Hello everyone now before anyone gets the wrong idea,this poll is purely just for fun.

To me,emulation was always about preserving classic games before the hardware they ran on does not work anymore.

lets face it,there will be a time when every Atari 2600 console ever manufactured will stop working,then what is to happen to the software that ran on that hardware?lost to time? that would be irresponsible on our part,as these games are gaming history.

Now as computers get faster and faster,and emulation software gets more and more sophisticated,games are being emulated that are still available in a retail setting.(I do not care about the second hand market like ebay,because not everyone has $500.00 to drop on Swordquest Waterworld)

My very good friend emulates whatever he can get his hands on,and laughs at me when I go to gamestop and buy gamecube,ps2,or xbox 1 games,but I feel that these game developers deserve to get paid for their hard work.

To all my GameEX friends that do emulate newer consoles,please dont get upset with me,as im not passing judgement on any of you.Thank you :)

Hello everyone now before anyone gets the wrong idea,this poll is purely just for fun.

To me,emulation was always about preserving classic games before the hardware they ran on does not work anymore.

lets face it,there will be a time when every Atari 2600 console ever manufactured will stop working,then what is to happen to the software that ran on that hardware?lost to time? that would be irresponsible on our part,as these games are gaming history.

Now as computers get faster and faster,and emulation software gets more and more sophisticated,games are being emulated that are still available in a retail setting.(I do not care about the second hand market like ebay,because not everyone has $500.00 to drop on Swordquest Waterworld)

My very good friend emulates whatever he can get his hands on,and laughs at me when I go to gamestop and buy gamecube,ps2,or xbox 1 games,but I feel that these game developers deserve to get paid for their hard work.

To all my GameEX friends that do emulate newer consoles,please dont get upset with me,as im not passing judgement on any of you.Thank you :)

I don't think anyone would get upset with you.

The fact of the matter is if you are getting xbox 1, ps2, game cube games at gamestop you are not supporting the developer. They are used and you are only supporting Gamestop.

Now lets be honest here, there are no good Xbox 1 emulators. Ps2 emulation is coming along very nice along with Gamecube and Wii.

Ps3 and of course xbox 360 emulation wont happen anytime soon.

Now, I own a Wii and a DS.. I dont own a Xbox360 or Ps3.

Of course there are new games you cannot get here. (like the TypeX arcade games)

I will admit to only downloading games to consoles that are not currently in development. EG no new gen systems.

I think that supporting the developer is nice too. I also think that game companys really only care about people pirating the stuff htey are trying to make money off of. To me grabbing that torrent of Mvsc3 or MK7 is not worth it, my luck Id be made an example of.. Not to mention I dont have any of those systems they are released on..

Brian

For me it's a thrill tweaking stuff just right. I have all three major consoles so I feel good about supporting devs. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the challenge of new tech (or recycled old tech in the Wii's case!)! :)

To tag on the comment about piracy. Having been an owner of an Atari 800 XL as its parent company transitioned through several hands before the demise of support in the US, I have seen the arguments for and against it. For it because the system was no longer supported and titles no longer available in the public domain. Against it because of laws protecting intellectual property, copyright, etc.

I can see Brian's point about buying from GameStop, etc. Only GameStop benefits from the sale of a used game. It can be argued that, with a game trade-in, perhaps, that the trade-in is a "loss leader" to get you to buy something else new. Sure they discount the retail price by the amount of the trade, but they still make a profit if you see something that ya gotta have and they only have it new. There's a good chance you may buy it.

I was reading an online article by one of the programmers for some titles released through Steam. The discussion was surrounding the very subject of software piracy. Their views were pretty simple. "Why do we need DRM if our product is good?" Sins of a Solar Empire was one of their best selling games and they made so much more in profit for writing a good program than many that have their's heavily bogged with DRM schemes of one sort or another.

For me, i'll be honest, yes on the Arcade machine i'll try and emulate as much as I can get (well what I can get my brother to get) :)

I'm a hoarder, always have been and will be, i own a 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, NDS, Xbox, N64, SNES . . etc . .etc . . you name it and i've either got it or had it and god knows whats in the attic, anything from my Commodore 64 with Disk Drive to Amiga 600, Spectrum 48k.

Having them all these games on one machine just makes it so much easier, i still go into Gamestation or Game and look at the 'old' games to see if any classics are there. Having all these brilliant games (and some real dodgy ones aswell!) on the 1 machine just makes it easier.

Me and my brother will have a few friends round and we'll have a 'random' night, where we pick a game at random via GameEx's "Play Random Game', with this quite excellent facility, i've played some great games i've never heard of, but also some dreadful ones

Just to comment on GameStop:

Used games piss devs off enough that the new idea of having to pay for a pass to play games online, so supporting Game and GameStop is just the same as pirating (only it's a grey area).

Just to comment on GameStop:

Used games piss devs off enough that the new idea of having to pay for a pass to play games online, so supporting Game and GameStop is just the same as pirating (only it's a grey area).

I only buy used games for ps2,xbox 1 and cube.when i buy new games they are always unopened,i wont buy a preowned "new"game.

The last tangible game I bought was Puzzle Quest 2 for NDS. The game is cool, with both aspects of gaming I like, puzzles and RPG. On the same note, I was emulating it and playing a copy for PC before I actually purchased it. If that says anything. I have a few systems modded (DC, Original XBox, a 360, PS2 and Wii and a PSP and NDSi) with pretty much the same thing on them as my cab. I emulate SNES, NES, ScummVM and so on, on all those systems but my cab and GameEx brings it all together and makes it fancy with artwork and video snaps and whatever. Plus I can't emulate a Dreamcast on a PSP. Yet....