All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Map "Exit game" to something other than escape

The T

I've looked through the Config program and I can't seem to find this, so is there any way to map the Exit Game function to something other than Escape? As a lot of emulators use escape to go to their settings screens, for mapping controls and the like. This is for non-MAME emulators, obviously.

Yes, check out advanced emulator config options. You can set exit to another key or combination as well as disabling exit by escape.

I looked through again and I'm really not seeing that. Could you give step-by-step directions to it? :/ Sorry.

I've been reading various topics on this forum about this issue. And I've seen multiple mentions of "Advanced Emulator config", but I have no idea where to access this. Is it one of the 5 Emulator submenu screens in the Wizard? Is it a separate file you run independently? Is it an option accessible through the interface? I have an Xbox 360 wireless controller, and have been unable to exit emulators using the controller (esc on the keyboard is fine, but I don't want to have to game with a keyboard out in the living room). I saw the custominput.ini file's default was something like "200|202|3|4|5". I understand left/up, but at first I had no idea what 3, 4, and 5 were. Eventually, I found through Window's devices the controller configs, and saw what buttons were associated with 3, 4, 5. So I pressed up/left (corresponding with NW on a compass or about 10:30 on a clock), and then pressed X, Y, and the left shoulder all at the same time during a game, and nothing happened. So then I thought, what if I wanted something easier, so I changed the exit command to 9|10, to correspond with the pressing of both sticks. Again, nothing happened. At this point, I read somewhere that GameEx is 1 number off, so I tried changing the INI to 8|9, but still nothing. So I have been unable to program a command to get my Xbox controller to exit an emulator yet. It would be nice if I could just press the buttons within GameEx, and tell it what I want, so there is no question about what # corresponds to what button. Like when I've set up the controller within a specific emulator, and it asked me to press up, press A, press B, press start, etc.

Also, two more quick questions (maybe slightly off topic): 1) is there someplace that tells me what buttons do what within GameEx. I've found that I can page by holding down A and using the D-pad simultaneous. I just want to know what buttons and combos do what (and I assume these are customizable as well, but wouldn't have any idea how to get started with this). 2) For those using an Xbox 360 controller, it is nice to have the ability to control GameEx menus with the controller, but I'm running GameEx on a HTPC with 7MC, and I was wondering if it was possible to get the controller to work with 7MC. You'd think there'd be cross compatibility since they are both Microsoft products... any ideas how to navigate within 7MC with my controller? Thanks!

That should exit the emulator. You may need to hold down the combo for a couple of seconds. If your using an Emulator adcanced config it will override the global one though. Emulator advanced config is either accessed when clicking Advanced config in the setup wizard on the emulator configuration or as a standalone app in the GameEx windows start menu group under configuration.

You could try an app I wrote called MCEJoy to use the controller win wmc.

In terms of the escape key, this actually cant be configured right now but I plan to change that. You can turn it off though.

On the homepage there is a "default controls" pages.

Thanks for all the info. MCEJoy works ok, but I had to restart the computer to get it to work, and then I couldn't pull up the config menu again until I force quit MCEJoy and restarted it, and then it wouldn't work until I restarted again... Is there a way to choose what controller moved up and down, left right? Right now it is automatically associated with the left stick, but I want to use the D-pad, or both. I didn't see direction options anywhere in MCEJoy.

As for game exit, I can't get anything to work. I was able to find the Advanced Emulator Config, and saw the tab, but it doesn't appear like anything is saving. I make the change, save it then close, but when I re-open, my change isn't there. I have also messed with the custominput.ini file some more. I have it set for just 9, as a test, but even that won't work. I am out of ideas. I press down 9, and hold it for 15 or more seconds, and nothing happens at all. I press down 8 or 10 as well, just in case the numbers are off by one. Any help there?

Finally, I started downloading images using the downloader, and putting them in the appropriate asset folders, yet the view display doesn't change at all within GameEx. How do I get these images I am downloading to display when going through the emulator list? Do I need to choose a special theme, or set up some option or what?

Thanks.

I've now had problems with MCEJoy running while an emulator is running. The issue seems to be with button press doubling, and it seems pressing A once pauses the emulator, and pressing it again runs it (doesn't happen when I force quit MCEJoy). Or pressing buttons will get 7MC to pop up sometimes. Very odd.

That said, I really need to get exit game working with my controller. How do I get support? I am now a paying customer, as I thought getting the full version would help my situation, but it hasn't. And now I'm not sure if I need to go with another software solution since this one isn't working as planned... Do I need to start my own thread (sorry if I hijacked this one).

Also, can anyone respond to what I have to do after I've downloaded cover art. My view looks no different. When I try to change the view to cover view, GameEx doesn't process any covers, so it is just the default thumbnail for all the games.

Not really. I'll let someone who has this feature working answer this one, as I haven't had any luck getting this to work for me either. I actually use joy2key for this until my iPac arrives and I go to buttons instead of joypads.

Hmm... not excited about the idea of using 3rd party software, but if it comes to that I won't mind too much. Does joy2key allow combination? Like pressing 3 specific keys at once will output an 'esc'? Does joy2key allow application specific commands? So that I can get my controller to work in 7MC a certain way, but when I'm not in 7MC, but in an emulator, it works another way and won't double any key presses?

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure about button combos. I use L3 on my PS2 controllers to exit.

You can have joy2key load a specific profile for each emulator via the command line though, set it up in the 'also launch' field. That would solve the different emu different setting problem.

When I get home I can tell you the exact perameters if you need them.

I've actually had a really fine time defining the controller in the input menus of each individual emulator. That is fine. My problem is, Windows Media Center doesn't have such a configuration, so it appears I need to download 3rd party software to get my controller to work inside 7MC. The software that TSpeirs suggested, MCEJoy, works in 7MC, but when I open GameEx and go into an emulator, MCEJoy still recognizes button presses, so it's messing up my input for emulators (like when using ZSNES the A button, which would be jump in Mario World, also pauses the game (because MCEJoy I guess maps that button to a key which would otherwise pause the game in ZSNES). So really, I just need a program that can do what MCEJoy can do (map controller presses to certain key presses), but have it only work in 7MC, and no other program.

Not to mention the added problem of wanting a universal button combination that will act as the escape key does inside GameEx (to exit emulators). It appears GameEx should have this option built in, but some people cannot get it to work correctly...

I have discovered that now the default controller 'game exit' is working for me, 200|202|3|4|5. Part of my problem was I was using the D-pad, not the left analog joystick for the up/left portion of that (and that 3,4,5 actually equals 4,5,6 as read through Windows device manager, as GameEx starts at 0 for some reason). That said, I have tried changing the INI file (and the default ini file as well) and tried using the advanced emulator config program as well, and nothing has allowed me to change the sequence. It sucks, but at least now I can exit games without using the keyboard. I'd really like to figure this out, so any additional input would be appreciated.