All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAP Files and Emulators (MESS)

Rychem28

I am wondering if the GameEx MAP files have the ability to send different command lines to a given emulator (in this case MESS) for any given rom file.

For example, I have one list for all Genesis/Megadrive games, however MESS can not distinguish and automatically select the appropriate clone in order to run some of the Megadrive games, if using Genesis as system in the MESS command line (and the GameEx ini) I will get an error saying that the rom is not playable on the genesis.

Before GameEx, I had been using MAMEWah and it had allowed for separate ini's to be created for each rom, so that I only had one Genesis/Megadrive list but was able (albeit after a little work)to run any rom by changing the command line on the fly.

It appears that the Map files allow custom naming, but can custom command lines also be sent along. Or am I stuck creating a separate MegaDrive emulator.

Thanks.

Although MAP files don't pass arguments to the command line, you can set them up as seperate emulators and group them so they all share the same list/category when you select a ROM.

At least that seems like a good workaround, especially if you keep the ROMs in seperate folders already.

Not to sound like a total dolt, how do I go about doing that? I opened the MameEmu Magician included with the GameEx install and mapped the rom to correct emulator. Then I tried placing that rom in the list I wanted it to show up in, but is still does not seem to be running the correct command line.

Thanks.

Well, you set up MESS twice and change your command line in GameEx Advanced Config (I'm oldschool and don't really know my way around the setup wiz). Then if your Genesis config for MESS is under, say, emulator #13 and the megadrive one is under emulator #14, go to group #1 (before emu configs) and add the two numbers in. Choose a logo and a name to display and you're golden. The list will combine and the command line you specify will pass for the emulator you chose to put those ROMs in.