All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Game List, Zinc, Mame, and other issues!

Mittens

I don't even know where to start! I've been working on this for hours the past 3 days, and everything seemed to be going just peachy until I wanted to try to get Zinc games working, but why stop now!

Mame PC Specs: XP SP3, P4 3.00 GHZ, 2GB RAM, Radeon 4350 (for soft15khz)

I currently have my config file for Gameex set up to not use AdvanceMame, but to use Zinc. In my Zinc folder, I have ZincGUI (since I got tired of working through command prompt). I load ZincGUI, point it to my ROM directory C:\ROM\MAME\ROMS, set the games to run with OpenGL (direct3D doesn't give me 60 FPS, only OpenGL does), fullscreen, 640x480, and the games load just fine through that method.

I make sure all things check out in my GameEx config (pointing to Zinc.exe instead of ZincGUI.exe), and when I goto my Mame list in GameEx and go down to Playstation (that's what Zinc's title is, I suppose), it shows all of the Zinc-compatible roms, such as Battle Arena Toshinden 2, Bloody Roar 2, etc. I try to run it, and my screen just goes black. I can hear the game sounds just fine, and it even accepts my inputs for coins and attacks, but I still can't get video. Escape brings me back to GameEx.

My Zinc config file is in C:\Emulators\Zinc, and looks like this

--roms-directory=C:\ROMS\MAME\ROMS

--use-sound=yes

--sound-filter-enable=no

--sound-filter-cutoff=22050

--sound-surround-lite-enable=no

--sound-surround-lite-multiplier=40

--sound-stereo-exciter=no

--use-slow-geometry=no

--use-renderer-cfg-file=renderer.cfg

--renderer=.\winogl\renderer.znc

My next issue is this: I made a Batch file using Romlister and I put it in my Roms directory. I set it to move the ones specified into a different folder so I kept the ones I wanted in C:\ROMS\MAME\ROMS. Everything seemed good there, until I went in GameEx to see! (Let me know if there's an easier method, like if GameEx will recognize a specifically named XML file).

I let the MAME list update, and it showed about 1200 games, so far so good. I tried to play some games, and I'd hear several quick error messages from Windows without any dialog coming up, and it'd bring me back to GameEx. Some games worked, some didn't, but the very same ones worked in MAMEUI32. This happened even though "Playable" was selected in the configuration.

I tried to update the list again, and this time it came back with 700-ish games, even though I didn't change a thing in the configuration. The Zinc list is gone (only Mr. Driller or something shows up), and many games that I did have enabled are no longer visible. I restored my ROM directory, let GameEX make a full list (took quite some time), and now here I am! I don't wanna touch anything unless I know it'll work.

I feel like I have to do so much more to get MAME functioning like I want it to, whereas Hyperspin just had Romlister to XML file, then HyperXML and I was good to go. I don't quite understand "Mame 32 formatted folder", or Custom List Mame 32 ini files. When I find a post that relates to my issue, the tutorials linked are also non-existent any longer, or have moved. I sure hope setting up the J-PAC and booting into GameEx will be easier than this! :)

Any help is appreciated, and I can give more information if needed. :)

Renderer.cfg Fullscreen 0, GameEx set to Windowed = game loads in a window.

Renderer.cfg fullscreen 1, GameEx Windowed = Game loads full screen. However, upon closing GameEx, the settings in GameExconfig under Display Settings revert Windowed back to Full Screen.

Windowed mode GameEx still launches the FE full screen (not sure if it's supposed to), but it loads Zinc games full screen. I can confirm that the Windowed mode setting was saved after exiting the config and returning, but exiting GameEx and returning to config reverts it back to Full Screen.

Renderer.cfg Fullscreen 0, GameEx set to Windowed = game loads in a window.

Renderer.cfg fullscreen 1, GameEx Windowed = Game loads full screen. However, upon closing GameEx, the settings in GameExconfig under Display Settings revert Windowed back to Full Screen.

Windowed mode GameEx still launches the FE full screen (not sure if it's supposed to), but it loads Zinc games full screen. I can confirm that the Windowed mode setting was saved after exiting the config and returning, but exiting GameEx and returning to config reverts it back to Full Screen.

Please post your Zinc options being used in GameEx.

I might try closing GameEx, then saving the changes in Advanced Configuration again if you haven't already done so. I have found that some changes do not appear to register when made while GameEx is running and Advanced Configuration is loaded from within. Not sure if this is a GameEx thing or just my system not letting go of what is in memory (unlike my brain, which seems to let go of things in memory more often these days).

:blink:

I might try closing GameEx, then saving the changes in Advanced Configuration again if you haven't already done so. I have found that some changes do not appear to register when made while GameEx is running and Advanced Configuration is loaded from within. Not sure if this is a GameEx thing or just my system not letting go of what is in memory (unlike my brain, which seems to let go of things in memory more often these days).

:blink:

I never have GameEx open when making changes to the config :)

Please post your Zinc options being used in GameEx.

UseZinc=true

ZincEXE=zinc.exe

ZincPATH=C:\Emulators\Zinc

ZincOptions=--renderer.\winogl\renderer.znc

Are those the options you needed?

UseZinc=true

ZincEXE=zinc.exe

ZincPATH=C:\Emulators\Zinc

ZincOptions=--renderer.\winogl\renderer.znc

Are those the options you needed?

It seems that the renderer file is never being called which stumps me cuz you said it still loads. Hmmmmmm. But I would change ZincOptions to:

--renderer=.\winogl\renderer.znc

According to your Zinc config from your first post then this should be correct. Forgot to put the "=".

Let me know how that works. It should load the correct renderer in GameEx. If still have issues then post the new issue.

I would have thought that since he is using a config file, that he should point to that in the Zinc options. Is that not correct?

That could also work as well. In which case zinc options would be:

--use-config-file=zinc.cfg

After trying both methods, it's still doing the same thing as before sadly :(. No full screen, just a black screen with sound, unless I run the game directly from ZincGUI.

Config files now show this.

GameEx.ini

[General]
Xresolution=640
Yresolution=480
DisplayOnSecondary=False
MAMEPath=C:\MAME
MAMEEXE=MameUI32.exe
ROMPath=C:\MAME\roms
StartWait=False
USeAdvanceMame=False
AdvanceMAMEEXE=advmame.exe
AdvanceMAMEPATH=C:\Emulators\AdvanceMAME
ADVANCEMAMEOptions=-device_video_output fullscreen -quiet -dir_rom "C:\Roms\Mame\Roms"
UseZinc=True
ZincEXE=zinc.exe
ZincPATH=C:\Emulators\ZiNc
ZincOptions=--use-config-file=zinc.cfg

Zinc.cfg

--roms-directory=C:\MAME\ROMS
--use-sound=yes
--sound-filter-enable=no
--sound-filter-cutoff=22050
--sound-surround-lite-enable=no
--sound-surround-lite-multiplier=40
--sound-stereo-exciter=no
--use-slow-geometry=no
--use-stackinram-hack=no
--use-mem-predict=no
--use-renderer-cfg-file=renderer.cfg
--renderer=.\ogl_renderer.znc

The renderer has to be named ogl_renderer.znc in order for Zinc itself to even load games, so that's why I left it like that. I have renamed it to renderer.znc (and made sure everything was changed to reflect that)with no positive results in GameEx though.

Thanks for the help!

I think your problem is that ZiNc doesn't work using OpenGL as a renderer in GameEx.. at least that's been myy experience. You'll need to use D3D instead. Give that a try and see if she flies straight. :)

Well, changing the config to --renderer=.\wind3d\renderer.znc fixed the full screen problem, but now the game doesn't run at 60 fps full screen like it does with openGL haha. Any other recommendations? :).

OpenGL does work with GameEx, just not full screen.

Well it's a simple thing of adding the fullscreen switch in the renderer.cfg file. But now I'm confused as what's going on since you've made a few changes. I would start from scratch and we'll go step-by-step to get it going. If you want real-time support then head to the chatroom and we'll go from there so it will be faster to troubleshoot instead of going back and forth in the forums.

I'll wait until tomorrow to get it resolved in chat! I didn't even know the chat function worked, since the content bar on the left kept redirecting me to gameex.net. I'll be around tomorrow afternoon! :)

I'll check in from time-to-time to see if you're on. If anything then just PM me and I'll try to get to you ASAP.

Zinc issue taken care of by using a PSX emulator instead of using Zinc :P.

I'm almost ready to hook up the PC to the Arcade cabinet, but I've come across another issue regarding Bezels!

Currently in GameEx, I have all of my Bezel options disabled. I don't even have any MAME folders pointing to anything except Snaps and Videos. However, my Neo-Geo games still show a Bezel at the top that I can't seem to remove. They are non-existent in MameUI32, but when I run it through GameEX, they're there. Some games like Pac Man also show bezels on the sides, which isn't too much of an issue but I'd like to know why they are there when my GameEx config says not to enable bezels!

Zinc issue taken care of by using a PSX emulator instead of using Zinc :P.

I'm almost ready to hook up the PC to the Arcade cabinet, but I've come across another issue regarding Bezels!

Currently in GameEx, I have all of my Bezel options disabled. I don't even have any MAME folders pointing to anything except Snaps and Videos. However, my Neo-Geo games still show a Bezel at the top that I can't seem to remove. They are non-existent in MameUI32, but when I run it through GameEX, they're there. Some games like Pac Man also show bezels on the sides, which isn't too much of an issue but I'd like to know why they are there when my GameEx config says not to enable bezels!

Are you calling settings from mame.ini perhaps? If using mame.ini then maybe it's being called in there.

Both locations for the mame.ini file are valid. If you have more than one copy in those locations, one will override the other. From the sounds of it, the INI folder overrides the root. Just be careful about where you keep files (and best to only have one copy).

There is a Key in the ini file to set the location of the ini file. :blink:

# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS

#

rompath "D:\Emulators\Arcade\Mame64\chds;D:\Emulators\Arcade\Mame64\roms"

samplepath D:\Emulators\Arcade\Mame64\samples

artpath D:\Emulators\Arcade\Mame64\art

ctrlrpath D:\Emulators\Arcade\Mame64\ctrlr

inipath D:\Emulators\Arcade\Mame64\

fontpath .

I think the default is "INI" as in a folder called INI under the MAME root directory. I don't know what all ini files it will read from that directory, but you can certainly add other locations if you want to complicate things! :lol:

There are uses that make it good, like if you have different romsets that you want to access from a single version of MAME. You could split your Model2 roms off of your main MAME roms and point MAME to both (for whatever reason) and it would work fine.