All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

HiTo text problem

Noddy

I'm using a mameui32 version with hi score support and no nag screens but when I run it through Gameex at least some of the games trigger the window "HiTo text has encountered a problem and needs to close" the game seems to load ok if I click on it again but its another thing where I can sort it out but its a pain for the casual user. The mame works fine when used directly and HiTo seems to be gameex related? So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to try fix this (I've tried different versions with Hiscore and no nag but get the same results) or if Gameex just doesn't like me using a non standard version of mame?

I've another question that's more general and I dont want to spam the forum so I'll just tack it on here and if anyone can suggest anything for either that'd be great :). My cabinet basically just runs Mame and a jukebox software and I'm trying to figure out whats the easiest way to switch between them (the cabinet only has arcade controls/ipac). Currently I use a shift button to use the hotkey Alt+Tab but that's still a three button combination, again its something thats fine for me but not really user friendly. Am I missing an easier option for switching between GameEx and another application like Jukebox?

Thanks

Thanks, there's only the one appplication in the folder that I can see but when I tried moving a few roms to a clean copy of mame with hiscore/no nag it seems to be working. Sorry should have tried that first but just tried putting new mame.exes in the main folder. I'll try copying the folders across and hopefully leave behind what it doesnt like.

Try removing any excess executables with "MAME" in the filename in your mame folder. HiToText launches the first one it finds currently.

Shoot, I thought I had this one fixed. I'll double check and see if the issue is still in the most current version.

Shoot, I thought I had this one fixed. I'll double check and see if the issue is still in the most current version.

Thanks for chiming in. Your software has moved on a lot so Im no expert but it seems what we need is to be able to tell it the mame executable to use if it really does need to launch it when reading.

Turns out it was the Hi folder causing the problem, I switched it over for a clean one and then set a new hi score to put a Galaga file back in and so far it seems to be working fine.

Know very little on the software side but just incase it's relevant it was having hi files from different versions that triggered it, ie galagao and galaga.

I love how GameEx automatically cut it down to one version of each game so hopefully starting with a clean folder and sticking with gameex should avoid the problem?

Edit: I'm sure the problem disappeared when I took out the other galaga file when I tested it before but the error messages are starting to appear again as I start going through the games again including galaga.

Sorry I didn't really realise what the hito text related to, it's the option in the advanced mame settings to add the high scores to the info page?

I've only just noticed that if I disable that the errors stop and so it doesn't affect mames ability to actually save the hi scores is that right?