All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

3D Models for GameEx

Here are some models converted using SketchUp and the ZbylsXExporter plugin for Google's SketchUp. You can see what they look like using mview.

I've also added a ruby script I modified called BatchXExporter (copy to Google SketchUp plugins folder) which can convert a directory of models. Open the file in a text editor and change the "Output_path" value to the folder containing the skp files (don't forget to have a '/' character at the end of the path)

Amiga CD32

Atari 2600

Coleco Vision

Commodore 64

Commodore Amiga

Commodore PET

Fairchild Channel F

Magnavox Odyssey

Mattel Intellivision

Nintendo GameBoy

Nintendo GameBoy SP

Nintendo GameCube

Nintendo N64

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Pinball

Sega Dreamcast

Sega Genesis

Sega Master System

Sony Playstation 2

If you find a missing or better quality model on 3d Warehouse convert it and upload or post a link here and I'll convert it. I will update this post when I add more.

Download console 3d models

Download Gozer's 3d arcade cab models

mview.zip

bomb.zip

ZbylsXExporter.zip

BatchXExporter.zip

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are some models converted using SketchUp and the ZbylsXExporter plugin for Google's SketchUp. You can see what they look like using mview.

Amiga CD32

Atari 2600

Coleco Vision

Commodore 64

Commodore Amiga

Commodore PET

Fairchild Channel F

Magnavox Odyssey

Mattel Intellivision

Nintendo GameBoy

Nintendo GameBoy SP

Nintendo GameCube

Nintendo N64

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Pinball

Sega Dreamcast

Sega Genesis

Sega Master System

Sony Playstation 2

If you find a missing or better quality model on 3d Warehouse convert it and upload or post a link here and I'll convert it. I will update this post when I add more.

Models.zip

Thanks Ben.

Thats a good fine. Quite a lot there too.

Anyone want to have a go at converting them? Maybe there are some there that are not in the original 3D arcade ones that HK converted. If so we can add a few more to the MAME set on the site.

I converted the Star Wars Cockpit using the plugin HK provided. I'm not too sure how to correct as one of the panels is missing and other details inside the cockpit did not make the conversion correctly. I have provided a copy of my attempt along with the original Sketchup which looks great in the mviewer.

swcockpit.zip

Thats a good fine. Quite a lot there too.

Anyone want to have a go at converting them? Maybe there are some there that are not in the original 3D arcade ones that HK converted. If so we can add a few more to the MAME set on the site.

273 models to be precise. I've downloaded them all but I don't think they follow the MAME naming convention which is a PITA.

I have create a ruby script that will go through an entire directory of skp models and convert them to x. But we really need the models renamed first.

Attached is a list of the models. If someone can go through and find the correct MAME names and list them next to these I can rename them and then convert them in bulk. Anyone?

EDIT: I've uploaded my BatchXExporter ruby script to the first post for converting a directory of skp files in bulk.

list.txt

Attached is a list of the models. If someone can go through and find the correct MAME names and list them next to these I can rename them and then convert them in bulk. Anyone?

So how do they need to be renamed? What is it exactly that you're looking for?

So how do they need to be renamed? What is it exactly that you're looking for?

I think the easiest way would be to import list.txt into Excel and use the second column to enter the MAME name.

Along with the Arcade Cabs collection by Gozer use MAWS to find the ROM name.

For example the "Altered Beast arcade game" filename is alteredA.skp. A search on MAWS for "Altered Beast" I can see the ROM name is "altbeast". If you click on a clone you will see a 'parent' entry. It would probably be best to use the parent ROM name for most cases.

Later on I will go through and rename all the files and then batch convert them.

OK, I have uploaded a more complete list (again, open in Excel tab delimited) for the Gozer vs MAWS list. I have also included a copy of the MAWS (MAME) 0139.u3 list. I am sure that I could probably open every skp file I don't have a mame name listed (and I may do so later if I have time). If someone would like to take it from here, that is fine as well.

I am currently going through those that I identified and cleaning up the list a bit, as some are just cab mock-ups and others are not cabs altogether. Additionally, where there is apparent duplication, I am selecting what I feel to be the best looking cabs (there isn't much but in a few places there are wood vs painted cabs where the painted cabs look more authentic). I will upload the completed list shortly.

Thanks again Draco. So are we ready to convert then? I will knock up a little utility to rename the models here and then start a bulk conversion.

Unfortunately the star wars cab does concern me. There may be others it has trouble converting. I am really busy at the moment to go through and check out the script. What I may do is just convert them all and then we can go through and check them all together. If there are any ones that need fixing I can attempt to fix them later or try a different plugin.

Thanks again Draco. So are we ready to convert then? I will knock up a little utility to rename the models here and then start a bulk conversion.

Unfortunately the star wars cab does concern me. There may be others it has trouble converting. I am really busy at the moment to go through and check out the script. What I may do is just convert them all and then we can go through and check them all together. If there are any ones that need fixing I can attempt to fix them later or try a different plugin.

Aye, Captain - fire at Will!

Okay have them renamed now. We have 211 MAME cabs and 62 misc cabs. I guess I could convert the misc cabs later and have them as a supplimentry pack. Since some of them are generic cabs Tom could have them display as defaults if the real cab is missing. We can also use the pinball cab to display for pinball games.

Running the MAME batch off now... Fingers crossed all goes well!

Quick update.. the last batch failed since there were quite a number of models with missing textures. After examining the plugin for a while I realized it was infact working perfectly except that the models themselves had poly's grouped off and the exporter could only examine the groups. So what I had to do was expand the scripts to "explode" the models a few times before exporting. That seemed to sort out the models I looked at (although there was still a problem with starwars but I managed to fix that one manually).

So anyway I'm running another batch this time exploding each model 4 times and then exporting. Hopefully this time we will have better luck.

I have uploaded the new scripts to the first post including a separate plugin for exploding models (called bomb.rb). Please note that I had to make the batch exporter save each .skp file back out after exploding otherwise it would prompt to save after each model.

Glad to have been able to help. I hope that you are able to use the images as some are very good. I am sure as more explore the 3D Warehouse and other stores that we will find some more 3D treasures!

Tom - While this topic would likely fit under one of the other threads, I think that it has sufficient uniqueness & focus to warrant being pinned so that we do not lose this in the normal forum posts.

The work that HK has done is fantastic to get this going and we could probably merge the .X files thread into this one as there are some good contributions in that thread as well.

Just my two cents... Mike

Tom - While this topic would likely fit under one of the other threads, I think that it has sufficient uniqueness & focus to warrant being pinned so that we do not lose this in the normal forum posts.

The work that HK has done is fantastic to get this going and we could probably merge the .X files thread into this one as there are some good contributions in that thread as well.

Just my two cents... Mike

I think merging with another thread is a good idea but not pinning it as we have way too many pinned topics as is. Some of them need to be merged together. I wish we had subtopics to better organize things.

I think merging with another thread is a good idea but not pinning it as we have way too many pinned topics as is. Some of them need to be merged together. I wish we had subtopics to better organize things.

Since we have the sub-forums now, pinning this would work since it is one of the projects that goes hand-in-hand with the work HK and Tom have done to add the 3-D models functionality to GameEx. Again, my two cents as usual.. wink.gif

Since we have the sub-forums now, pinning this would work since it is one of the projects that goes hand-in-hand with the work HK and Tom have done to add the 3-D models functionality to GameEx. Again, my two cents as usual.. ;)

Noted. Will merge in a few. You have more than 2 cents in there now. LOL. You need to keep your 2 cents out. :P;)

I don't necesarily agree that is should be moved yet. Its still a very active topic. Merging it is probably a good idea though. However, I have no objections :)

We'll let it grow a bit before we move it then. When the submissions and work have been done then we'll merge it. ;)