All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx NetPlay - Client/Server MAME/Mess

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just wanted to add, I want to be very open about exactly what data is sent accros the network and stored on the server if required, for any other part of GameEx also if that kind of thing worries you. So please ask if you have concerns.

It just occured to me that may worry some folks.

I can confirm though no files other than pngs (snapshots etc) are either sent or hosted and only what is required to operate is captured.

Im sure you probably do, but do you actually have the port mapped via network address translation to your local machine IP? You shouldnt be disabling your routers firewall and it should not be an open port but a "mapped" port.

Unless I have it mapped to my PC's IP incorrectly (which it isn't to the best of my knowledge). I have gone back though and mapped a port range (5800-5850) for local and remote. Just need to test again...

Just put it in your normal MAME folder (where your regular MAME build is) and then set the paths for client/server MAME in the configuration apps. Its a new untested build of MAME so I made it so it works alongside normal usage of MAME rather than replacing.

in wich config app ? GameEx config app ? "advanced config" ? i don't have any option there about Client/Server MAME and i am up to date with GameEx (i got the full version )

would be a good idea to explain in detail in a doc or somethin the way to setup the server

Is there some audio indication that someone has accepted my request? I have arcade ambiance running and the screen saver keeps starting. Unless I'm just sitting and watching and backing out of the screen saver....

I also notice pictures not showing up on my gamer card but game title is, something on my end?

in wich config app ? GameEx config app ? "advanced config" ? i don't have any option there about Client/Server MAME and i am up to date with GameEx (i got the full version )

would be a good idea to explain in detail in a doc or somethin the way to setup the server

You can either select Custom in the setup wizard and look at Client/Server MAME. Or its at the end of advanced MAME confg in the advanced utility.

By the way, people have to accept the request for it to connect. If it goes back to the list, they have not accepted. Its not a bug.

Well I ran it and only one game was listed and then I selected it and GameEx just froze and nothing happened and couldn't do anything had to force quit GameEx.I did goto my router config and opened port 5805 both is that correct?

No, GameEx didnt freeze it was waiting for the other person to accept (which was me) and I didnt accept it. If youd have waited you would have returned to the list. The router port is irrevelant for outgoing connections. The port is used when you request (host) a game.

Cheers.

Ok!

You can either select Custom in the setup wizard and look at Client/Server MAME. Or its at the end of advanced MAME confg in the advanced utility.

ok i got it now ...it wasn't in the advance mame config but i found it in the setup wizard,now i got the "net play" option :)

i just need to forward my port properly now and should work

thanks for your help

ChrisQc

ok so now as i said i see "MAME net play" and when i click on it there is one or too game ,if i choose one the GameEx windows goes Black ...( no any other activity mame or so ) then it goes back to GameEx netplay game list wich is now empty,i go back then on the list again the game are now there ,if i try to play one...same thing ...

ok so now as i said i see "MAME net play" and when i click on it there is one or too game ,if i choose one the GameEx windows goes Black ...( no any other activity mame or so ) then it goes back to GameEx netplay game list wich is now empty,i go back then on the list again the game are now there ,if i try to play one...same thing ...

chrisqc.png

Who's hosting the game? I don't see any users at this time. The host has to accept for you to connect.

Sorry for dropping out of the games whoever was playing. Some things I noticed:

Huge lag making shmups very hard to play

Very long blank screens making one wonder if anything is happening

If you don't have C.S. mame file IN the mame DIR your hotrod won't work

Would be nice if there was some sound indicating someone wants to join your game. I have my machine in the hall and I don't really want to just stand there hoping someone will eventually join - some sort of sound chime would be great

Great feature though!

/2¢

yeah it was me playing giga wing with you :) it did work great here no lag ,i forwarded the required port 5805 everywhere: in my router and in windows firewall.like you said it could be nice to have a sound for request that would work even if you are in screen saver mode

i have a question regarding the mame.ini file ...my ip adress change constently so is it possible to use a url instead of an ip adress ? if so in wich form ? just the hostname like that : exemple.zapto.org ? or should i put it like that : http://exemple.zapto.org ?

thanks

ChrisQC

i have a question regarding the mame.ini file ...my ip adress change constently so is it possible to use a url instead of an ip adress ? if so in wich form ? just the hostname like that : exemple.zapto.org ? or should i put it like that : http://exemple.zapto.org ?

thanks

ChrisQC

What kind of router are you using? Many of the newer routers will allow for assigning of static IPs within the router's domain. Usually just requires inputting the network adapter MAC and then associating it with the IP.

yeah but it never worked for me to use dyn dns or similar ,so i use no-ip instead ,i already got my domain on no ip

so i just need to know if in mame.ini it is possible to use a url instead of an ip adress if so in wich form http://domain.org or simply domain.org

thanks

ChrisQC

yeah but it never worked for me to use dyn dns or similar ,so i use no-ip instead ,i already got my domain on no ip

so i just need to know if in mame.ini it is possible to use a url instead of an ip adress if so in wich form http://domain.org or simply domain.org

thanks

ChrisQC

In order for port forwarding or port triggering to work, the PC must have a static IP to assign the port behind the NAT. URL will not work as the application is designed currently.

So does this mean that it's not possible to have multiple cabinets with this feature enabled? I have a racing cab in addition to my primary cab. I would LOVE to get some Offroad, Championship Sprint, Danny Sullivan, etc races going at some point, but that means I can't have access to the main library, correct? :(

Of course, I still have to get things put back together for any of that to matter anyway.

I think it's a great idea to make a sound when someone joins the game.

If you are using CS-MAME then your ROM set should match the version. The ROM version needs to be the same when running NetPlay.

Just checked the xml file output by MAME

<rom name="pacman.6e" size="4096" crc="c1e6ab10" sha1="e87e059c5be45753f7e9f33dff851f16d6751181" region="maincpu" offset="0"/>
<rom name="pacman.6f" size="4096" crc="1a6fb2d4" sha1="674d3a7f00d8be5e38b1fdc208ebef5a92d38329" region="maincpu" offset="1000"/>
<rom name="pacman.6h" size="4096" crc="bcdd1beb" sha1="8e47e8c2c4d6117d174cdac150392042d3e0a881" region="maincpu" offset="2000"/>
<rom name="prg7" size="2048" crc="b6289b26" sha1="d249fa9cdde774d5fee7258147cd25fa3f4dc2b3" region="maincpu" offset="3000"/>
<rom name="prg8" size="2048" crc="17a88c13" sha1="eb462de79f49b7aa8adb0cc6d31535b10550c0ce" region="maincpu" offset="3800"/>
<rom name="chg1" size="2048" crc="2066a0b7" sha1="6d4ccc27d6be185589e08aa9f18702b679e49a4a" region="gfx1" offset="0"/>
<rom name="chg2" size="2048" crc="3591b89d" sha1="79bb456be6c39c1ccd7d077fbe181523131fb300" region="gfx1" offset="800"/>
<rom name="pacman.5f" merge="pacman.5f" size="4096" crc="958fedf9" sha1="4a937ac02216ea8c96477d4a15522070507fb599" region="gfx1" offset="1000"/>
<rom name="82s123.7f" merge="82s123.7f" size="32" crc="2fc650bd" sha1="8d0268dee78e47c712202b0ec4f1f51109b1f2a5" region="proms" offset="0"/>
<rom name="82s126.4a" merge="82s126.4a" size="256" crc="3eb3a8e4" sha1="19097b5f60d1030f8b82d9f1d3a241f93e5c75d6" region="proms" offset="20"/>
<rom name="82s126.1m" merge="82s126.1m" size="256" crc="a9cc86bf" sha1="bbcec0570aeceb582ff8238a4bc8546a23430081" region="namco" offset="0"/>
<rom name="82s126.3m" merge="82s126.3m" size="256" crc="77245b66" sha1="0c4d0bee858b97632411c440bea6948a74759746" region="namco" offset="100"/>

GameEx could in theory unpack the ROM and check it's crc/sha1 matches to determine if you have the correct version. That way only listing ROMs you can actually play against.