All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx NetPlay - Client/Server MAME/Mess

8th September, 2010 - GameEx 11.21 - NetPlay

This is potentially quite a special release and something new.

GameEx now has support for Client/Server MAME (Website / Blog) and with a custom GameEx client and back end has the potential to offer multi user MAME internet network play using just arcade controls and gamepads.

1. Download CS-Mame from here (Latest version is ClientServerMAME v1.0). Install it to C:\CSMAME otherwise there may be permission issues in Windows 7.

2. Download and install a Game Card here

3. Run "vmame -cc" to create mame.ini and set your correct ROM paths in mame.ini

4. Enable Client/Server MAME in the Setup Wizard and make sure your path and exe are correct (see screenshot below)

5. To start serving a game make sure you have port 5805 UDP allowed on your router (or use UPNP) and select "MAME" from the main menu, then "All MAME Games", select a game from the list, then in the Game Info screen select "Request NetPlay".

6. Alternatively to join a game select "MAME" from the main menu and then "MAME NetPlay" to get a list of games currently being served you can join.

NOTE: Your ROM version must match the client/server ROM version.

GameEx code should be stable but it is obviously a slightly experimental release.

I will be extending the GameEx online features and user accounts but for now to use this new feature you will need to get and install a GameEx game card as this creates your user account on the server

I strongly suggest checking this out.

For all comments, support, and suggestions please head over to the forum at gameex.info

Client/Server MAME and Client/Server MESS is the work of Digital Ghost.

To request a NetPlay you must have port 5805 mapped. GameEx does however try to create this NAT mapping using uPnP and will also try to create a firewall rule for the executable.

post-367-12843324778_thumb.png

post-367-128433303508_thumb.png

post-367-128433304726_thumb.png

post-367-128433306256_thumb.png

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is how it works.

Get regular MAME working.

Download and install a Game Card. (Get it here: http://www.gameex.com/Community/GetaGametag.aspx )

Download and extract Client/Server MAME (Get it here: http://github.com/downloads/MisterTea/ClientServerMAME/ClientServerMAME_v0_7c_Win32.zip )

Setup the paths to Client/Server MAME and enable.

Select a MAME game then on the info page (with play this game etc) select “Request NetPlay”

Then have someone else run GameEx and select MAME NetPlay on the MAME page with all games, original games etc and select the game you requested netplay for. Other peoples requests will be listed here too.

You should get a prompt to accept connection (requests are database driven and stored on the server) then Client/Server MAME will start as server on your end and Client on the other.

Your request to play the game (request NetPlay) will stay active until either you play the game with someone (accept request) or cancel the request by selecting a MAME game and selecting Cancel NetPlay Request.

Hopefully we will see some games listed under MAME NetPlay (top of the Start page MAME list) once a few people start trying it (fingers crossed!)

http://www.gameex.com/Community/GetaGametag.aspx (get your card here)

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=8590&st=0&p=63036entry63036 (forum topic)

Instructions:

Install the registry key

Run GameEx, and play a game.

Hi Tempest!!!

Thanks for your fast reply!!!

I installed the game card and read all instructions.

I can see a new menu in gameex (Mame NetPlay) but when I enter it I see the message "no games found".

I think is because there are no players hosting a net game at this moment ¿Sure?

I will see the hosting net games in this new menu?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Tempest!!!

Thanks for your fast reply!!!

I installed the game card and read all instructions.

I can see a new menu in gameex (Mame NetPlay) but when I enter it I see the message "no games found".

I think is because there are no players hosting a net game at this moment ¿Sure?

I will see the hosting net games in this new menu?

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully will we get some folks using the feature, and there will be games available. Im really hoping so because one of things that makes this special is it works with arcade controls, eg cabs. It requires no manual input unlike Kailera etc.

I just requested Double Dragon 2 is someone wants to test with me quickly.

EDIT: Although that was probably futile this time of day!

Hopefully we can get some activity at the weekend.

I'm going to set this up this evening after work and give it a try, I just requested my gamer card though so I'll have to get that working first.

I must say I'm a bit pissed of Tom :angry: no Northern Ireland in the list of countries when selecting a flag... and there was me thinking we were the economic epicentre of the world :) way to burst my bubble :P

Stu

I'm going to set this up this evening after work and give it a try, I just requested my gamer card though so I'll have to get that working first.

I must say I'm a bit pissed of Tom :angry: no Northern Ireland in the list of countries when selecting a flag... and there was me thinking we were the economic epicentre of the world :) way to burst my bubble :P

Stu

lol, no England either. Didnt you know we are all supposed to be British now ;)

anyone want to give this a try? I think I have it all setup ok, it says no games found when I choose Mame net play... I'm hoping that's because nobody is playing at the moment rather than me having screwed something up :)

I have a request sent for 1944 if anyone wants to join

Stu