All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

NEWS: GameEx 11 released

Tom Speirs

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can no longer start GameEx :(

Hopefully it's not a Win2K thing - don't really want to upgrade the OS.

Attached my log.

It looks like it's because your display is set to 16-bit. I'm sure Tom will look into it as soon as he can.

Just a quick update on my situation:

I let GameEx run for over three hours in attract mode (manually launched from Programs sub-menu) and haven't had a single problem. She's been running great. I hit ESC and waited five minutes for GameEx to automatically turn over to Attract Mode, and viola. Monitor goes to sleep until I cold boot my PC.

Move my beyond reasonable doubt to 100% positive that it's related.

.:EDIT:. I also noticed that I'm not on the GameEx Live page anymore... Is this because of my Gamer Card or just a coincidence? Publish to server is checked in my setup.

Can no longer start GameEx sad.gif

Hopefully it's not a Win2K thing - don't really want to upgrade the OS.

Attached my log.

Larry - following is the statement from Tom regarding the 10.49 release and above:

".net framework 2 service pack 1 is the minimum required framework for GameEx since the project was upgraded to visual studio 2008 and the installer has been updated to detect and install this. I'd also like to point out that windows 98 and ME are no longer supported. I would have personally supported them still, but the development tools I am using do not allow me to. The minimum supported OS is 2000 SP4 and XP SP 2..."

You should be fine so long as you meet/exceed the requirements. Check your video settings as suggested and let us know what you find.

... The minimum supported OS is 2000 SP4 and XP SP 2..."

You should be fine so long as you meet/exceed the requirements. Check your video settings as suggested and let us know what you find.

I changed the settings so GameEx would not switch to 16bit mode (now stays in 32bit True Color mode) and it now starts again. Seems to take a bit longer to start but so far so good.

Now I just need to update my theme now that transparent PNG's are working correctly.

Thx

11.00 works great for me, but when I updated to 11.01 my zDoom games work but when I try to run quake mission packs is just exits back to gameex. Granted quake is not run thru zdoom it is thru my Steam account but I have them catagorized so they all are all listed under DOS Games. Under 11.00 they run just fine both my zdoom games and my quake games. Very strange.

I never had a problem with the language thing at all under 11.00.

11.00 works great for me, but when I updated to 11.01 my zDoom games work but when I try to run quake mission packs is just exits back to gameex. Granted quake is not run thru zdoom it is thru my Steam account but I have them catagorized so they all are all listed under DOS Games. Under 11.00 they run just fine both my zdoom games and my quake games. Very strange.

I never had a problem with the language thing at all under 11.00.

Try running game again and if you have the same results then try running in debug mode to see what could be causing it. Maybe something got turned off or switched. Can always post the runitgame.bat file's contents here so we can have a look see.

Very strange. I looked at that file and it's trying to run my doom game under d-fend reloaded when it's not under that it is under zdoom, but when I switch back to 11.00 it runs fine. Is that too confusing. Here is what is says under 11.01:

G:

CD "G:\My Emulators\DOS\D-Fend Reloaded"

dfend.exe "Doom II - Hell on Earth"

and here is what it says under 11.00:

F:

CD "F:\My Games\DOOM\zDoom"

"F:\My Games\DOOM\zDoom\zdoom.exe" -iwad doom2.wad

That is what it should be! Makes you say WTF! go figure

Hi,

I've got a few problems with the new version. It worked for a while, but no videos or snapshots were shown anymore. Then I switched Themes a few times to see if that helps. But now Gameex crashes as soon as I select an Emulator. The log (attached) says something about a video player at the end...

I've only got a small Nettop-PC with an Intel Atom Chip, but up to now it could handle Gameex well enough. Is it maybe not powerful enought for Direct3D?

log.txt

Tom I couldn't be more sure look at it, I posted what it's doing as I'm not imagining it. This is the same thing it did with the betas all except one of them don't remember which one thou.

Hi,

I've got a few problems with the new version. It worked for a while, but no videos or snapshots were shown anymore. Then I switched Themes a few times to see if that helps. But now Gameex crashes as soon as I select an Emulator. The log (attached) says something about a video player at the end...

I've only got a small Nettop-PC with an Intel Atom Chip, but up to now it could handle Gameex well enough. Is it maybe not powerful enought for Direct3D?

Can you please try rebooting and doing a manual reinstall over the top. This does not appear to be an error relating to direct3d. I think basically a few files were not updated when you upgraded. What version did you upgrade from?

PS: It really should still be supported on most hardware. It barely uses the full potential of Direct3D. If cards support DirectDraw i would have thought they would support Direct3d to the extent required.

Cheers, and please report back.

Tom.

Tom I couldn't be more sure look at it, I posted what it's doing as I'm not imagining it. This is the same thing it did with the betas all except one of them don't remember which one thou.

Well, the only change is as I said. So its very strange. I think this is due to some other issue, but Ill look at it. Please post your log with this issue happening.

OK Tom now it gets stranger. Well as soon as I said it works ok in 11.00 well here is what I did just now. I ran zdoom's Hexen game and it ran ok, then I exited and ran Quake mission pack 2 and it wouldn't run it kept exiting back to GameEx. Now I installed GameEx 11.01 and did exactly the same thing mentioned about running Hexen, then Quake mission pack 2 and it works. Go figure. I'll keep an eye on it as it maybe happening randomly and when it does I'll post the log.

Hello All,

I auto updated from 10.80 and now GameEx does not show anything. It's a black screen but I can hear my startup video play and all other sound. When I exit GameEx my desktop is viewable again. I went to the config and tried a different theme but got the same result. I've attached my log. My thanks in advance.

log.txt

Every time I click on mame it tries to update the game list and after a minute or so, Game Ex either crashes with an error, or the system reboots.

I was using 10.something for the last couple of weeks without too many problems, but I updated to 11 last night and now it crashes every time I run it.

Win xp pro

Athlon xp 3200+ 1gb ram

What video card and drivers and you using? Ensure your not using 16-bit color anywhere, and ensure hardware accellaration for the card is on.

It's an older card - Nvidia GeForce FX5500 Forceware 175.19 - the last update for this card. I checked in the video card settings and GameEx and it looks like everything is 32bit color. Not sure if it has hardware acceleration. Can I do anything else?

Under display settings - compatibility - ensure hardware accelaration is to the full. Ensure the desktop is running 32 bit.

I'm sorry I can't find compatibility under display settings in GameEx or in my display driver. Is this a setting in GameEx? The desktop is running 32 bit.

Please post your log with this happening. I suspect the reboot is due to some other issue such as overheating.

where is the log saved? Beats me why it would overheat just updating the games list. Game ex crashes every time this way in the same place. Just sometimes it gives an error message and sometimes it reboots. Ir had been playing on an earlier version for a couple weeks now. All I did was install the new version and tell it where my mame was

l

where is the log saved? Beats me why it would overheat just updating the games list. Game ex crashes every time this way in the same place. Just sometimes it gives an error message and sometimes it reboots. Ir had been playing on an earlier version for a couple weeks now. All I did was install the new version and tell it where my mame was

l

The log.txt file is located in the LOG directory of your GameEx install.