All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

HELP please - can't get Kega,Zsnes or Zinc working from Game - Ex:-(

empireguitar

jajajaja hi! im back in the forum again, bryan that was freaky funny. the vision thing and do you get a cookie. it has been a long time since i check the forum, been at work updating my system machine. i work with a cnc plasma cutter computer. but im checkin the forum more often to help the new guys.

Right, so I ran the patch/little programme, which let's me use the button to exit Zsnes and Fusion (as it is telling the pc that the button usualy assigned to the "l" key is the ESC key.

I ran MAME, pressed tab and tried to reasign "GUI exit"(or whatever it is to this key), however for some reason MAME does not like to recognise the button when I'm using the patch:-( - i even tried using my keyboard to press ESC to assign Exit GUI to ESC, however MAME still doesn't recognise the button when the patch/little programme is being run. So for now, i just stopped teh patch running and then reasigned exit GUI to the button (acting as the "l" key.

Any suggestions?

MAME can't see program generated key strokes in the vanilla compile. If you want to have those key strokes received in MAME, you have 2 choices.

1) Use a version of MAME <=0.117, which is the version where they switched to the RAW input system if I remember correctly.

2) Compile MAME yourself and disable the RAW input system so it uses the Direct Input system instead.

I personally used option 1 for a long time until I found out about 2. There's a thread here that discusses how to compile MAME with this option.

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=6765&view=findpost&p=53736

MAME can't see program generated key strokes in the vanilla compile. If you want to have those key strokes received in MAME, you have 2 choices.

1) Use a version of MAME <=0.117, which is the version where they switched to the RAW input system if I remember correctly.

2) Compile MAME yourself and disable the RAW input system so it uses the Direct Input system instead.

I personally used option 1 for a long time until I found out about 2. There's a thread here that discusses how to compile MAME with this option.

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=6765&view=findpost&p=53736

Are <=0.117 versions of MAME that old? I'll need to check which MAME i'm using (it's a version post where the MAME devs made the awful descision not to support Hi-Score DATS. I don't play Daytona or Scud racer in MAME (pc isn't anywhere near powerful enough to run them) - but I wouldn't want to loose support for any games/drivers included post 0.117.

Also, wouldn't some of my Rom sets be incompatable with older verisons?

MAME 0.117 was released on 10 July 2007, so it's a bit old.

http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html

I couldn't say for sure what you would lose by not having a matched romset and version of MAME, but ideally you wouldn't do that. If you don't want to deal with downloading a new romset, you could use clrmame to create a version that will be compatible with whatever version you choose to run.

MAME 0.117 was released on 10 July 2007, so it's a bit old.

http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html

I couldn't say for sure what you would lose by not having a matched romset and version of MAME, but ideally you wouldn't do that. If you don't want to deal with downloading a new romset, you could use clrmame to create a version that will be compatible with whatever version you choose to run.

I had an idea (as I would rather not start messing with using a new version of MAME - although I am tempted to start using an Unofficial MAME, which still supports saving Hi Scores - do you think those sort of unofficial builds might support direct input?)

Would it be possible to get GAme Ex to run the "Patch" (which changes my "l" botton to ESC), so that i could run it when I want to play SNES or Fusion games?

For example, when i want to run Snes or Fusion, could I set the patch as a programme in Game Ex and then Run my SNEs or Megadrive emus? - I'm guessing no, as even if I could run the patch through games Ex I wouldn't have a way to stop it running when i want to use MAME:-(

Maybee I could try going on the Fusion and Snes forums to find out if there is a way to get those emus to exit games with the "l" key (which I would also need to do for PinMAME).

I had an idea (as I would rather not start messing with using a new version of MAME - although I am tempted to start using an Unofficial MAME, which still supports saving Hi Scores - do you think those sort of unofficial builds might support direct input?)

Would it be possible to get GAme Ex to run the "Patch" (which changes my "l" botton to ESC), so that i could run it when I want to play SNES or Fusion games?

For example, when i want to run Snes or Fusion, could I set the patch as a programme in Game Ex and then Run my SNEs or Megadrive emus? - I'm guessing no, as even if I could run the patch through games Ex I wouldn't have a way to stop it running when i want to use MAME:-(

Maybee I could try going on the Fusion and Snes forums to find out if there is a way to get those emus to exit games with the "l" key (which I would also need to do for PinMAME).

I uploaded a new L to ESC that behaves diffrent, instead of capturing L and only sending esc it sends both l and esc, this should make it work for everything. If your still on the fence about donating Gameex has alot of these features built in.

L2esc.zip

You can compile any version of MAME you want using HK's MAME Compiler 64 (check the stickies). There is a detailed set of instructions in that thread that even shows you what you need to do to turn on Hi Score support as well as disabling the 'OK' screen and disabling crosshairs by default (although that has been incorporated in the standard build now). If you want to use DirectInput, check out the thread I mentioned above.

Compiling is REALLY easy with HK's app. It takes a few minutes to figure out what you need to do, but after doing it once, you can compile a new version in a few minutes! I'd recommend figuring out what version romset you have and compiling, but there are other options of course.

• 2 weeks later...