All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Help! :)

MegaMartyMan

Hi,

First off, i didn't even know what a frontend was until a few days ago. I happened to run into a gameEX video online showing what it does and I was impressed! The ability to consolidate and use all of emu apps from one program is awesome! Anyway, on to my problem. I set everything up using the basic setup and took my time through it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I then set up my emulators and after some playing around, I got the JNES and Project 64 to work pretty good. However, the ZSNES is not working. I've spent at least 6 or 7 hours reading forums, the submitted configs page and just making different changes to it. What happens is when i click on a game, my screen goes black for a few seconds and goes directly back to the gameEX page I was just at. The emulator does work on windows without the use of gameEX. I've tried changing the gui in my config file from 0 to 1 and then back to 0 a few times and that doesn't seem to do the trick either. I've copied a few of the user submitted configs to a "T" (minus file and emu locations of course) and no luck. I get the same problem everytime. I get the same thing with GENS as well.. Although I haven't spent much time messing around with the options on that one yet. I will paste the extracted emulator file below but I've changed it so much it probably won't be of much insight... unless i'm typing something in wrong or there is simply a space where there isn't supposed to be one etc. I wouldn't be asking a question about this unless I've spent a good amount of time trying to figure it out myself. This is quite lengthy, so I will paste the text and see what happens. I'm not computer illiterate, just "new program" illiterate.. :) THANX!!!

[Emulator_2]

Enabled=True

STARTPAGENAME=Super Nintendo

TITLETEXT=SNES

StartPageLogo=[Console] Nintendo SNES

ROMFilter=*.smc;*.zip

RomPath=C:\Users\owner\_AAA Vids\A - Super Nintendo\Games

RomsInFolders=True

SnapPath=c:\emulators\Nintendo SNES\Snaps\

TitlePath=c:\emulators\Nintendo SNES\Titles\

BoxPath=c:\emulators\Nintendo SNES\Boxes\

CartPath=c:\emulators\Nintendo SNES\Cartridges\

ManualPath=c:\emulators\Nintendo SNES\Manuals\

ControlPanelPath=c:\emulators\Nintendo SNES\Controls\

InstructionsPath=

WorkingPath=C:\Users\owner\_AAA Vids\A - Super Nintendo

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=

SendKeys=

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=False

Debug=False

MAPFile=

AlsoLaunch=

Command=zsnesw.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

configFile=

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=

PlayMusic=

DontShowInfo=

PlaySelectionMusic=

SelectionMusicFolder=

PCGame=False

DATABASE=[Console] Nintendo SNES

UseDbName=

GamesIn7Zips=

MergeSets=

PlayInScreenSaver=False

ShowMostPlayed=True

RandomMostPlayed=True

CDCheck=False

CDCheckFile=

CustomArtName1=

CustomArtPath1=

CustomArtName2=

CustomArtPath2=

CustomArtName3=

CustomArtPath3=

[GENERAL]

DumbyValue=

ShowDesktop=False

Try changing this to

ShowDesktop=True

I know I had alot of problems with this one when I started out. I ended up just setting a black background and setting this to true by default. Mose apps/Emus I have require this setting, or it will do what you are describing.

ShowDesktop=False

Try changing this to

ShowDesktop=True

I know I had alot of problems with this one when I started out. I ended up just setting a black background and setting this to true by default. Mose apps/Emus I have require this setting, or it will do what you are describing.

Thanx for your reply dezblack! I'm pretty sure I've changed that option from yes to no a couple of times but I will give it another shot after work. I will post back whether or not it worked.

Hey guys,

I tried to follow your instructions the best I could. And I will tell you how I deciphered them.. My computer literacy only goes so far unfortunately. I know enough to get by, so bare with me.

Dezblack - What I did was copy the command line out of gameEx configuration and pasted it into the "run" dialogue box on my system (windows vista) and all I got was an error that it could not find file. I tried it with the N64 (which works in gameEx) command line just to see what would happen and I got the same error. I also don't know how to convert to a progra~1.

Brian - The only thing that I can think of as far as not running it in a games database is to run the emulator stand alone on windows and it works just fine. I found the runlastgame.bat file you were refering to and all it did was flicker what looked like a small dialogue box for a really small fraction of a second.

Again, thanx guys and I think I should be honest and tell you that I haven't donated yet but I definately plan on doing so once I get this working! You can count on it! Thank you for your patience.

Hey guys,

I tried to follow your instructions the best I could. And I will tell you how I deciphered them.. My computer literacy only goes so far unfortunately. I know enough to get by, so bare with me.

Dezblack - What I did was copy the command line out of gameEx configuration and pasted it into the "run" dialogue box on my system (windows vista) and all I got was an error that it could not find file. I tried it with the N64 (which works in gameEx) command line just to see what would happen and I got the same error. I also don't know how to convert to a progra~1.

Brian - The only thing that I can think of as far as not running it in a games database is to run the emulator stand alone on windows and it works just fine. I found the runlastgame.bat file you were refering to and all it did was flicker what looked like a small dialogue box for a really small fraction of a second.

Again, thanx guys and I think I should be honest and tell you that I haven't donated yet but I definately plan on doing so once I get this working! You can count on it! Thank you for your patience.

The database I am referring to is in your config, edit this line

Also the RUNITGAME.bat is the command gameex uses to launch the emulator, that fact that it is flashing and closing is because it is erroring out. Right click on the RUNLASTGAME.bat and choose edit, then select its contents and choose copy, next click on start>run and type "cmd" without quotes. then right click in the dos box and choose PASTE, then press enter. This should show you the error, please let us know what it is.. I bet a dollar it cannot find the path or file specified.

Dont give up, we will get you going in no time. :) Trust me.

Brian is doing here what my thought was, but easier =)

There is a built in tool with gameex that lets you test to see what gameex cant find, thats the RUNLASTGAME.bat file. He's giving you a WAY easier route than I would at your level lol. Thanks Brian!

Thanx guys! I will get to it when I can.. within the next couple of days or so.. I have a project at work due on friday and a good buddy of mine had a transformer blow up on him at work yesterday, so i'll be in and out of the hospital as well and i just put a bid on a house. Things are kinda crazy right now but I can promise ya i'm not giving up! l8r

Brian is doing here what my thought was, but easier =)

There is a built in tool with gameex that lets you test to see what gameex cant find, thats the RUNLASTGAME.bat file. He's giving you a WAY easier route than I would at your level lol. Thanks Brian!

Ya, I like that way. There is an even easier method tho too, that is to enable debug mode in the emu configuration. This will prompt at each step gameex does and lets you find where it is failing.

Thanx guys! I will get to it when I can.. within the next couple of days or so.. I have a project at work due on friday and a good buddy of mine had a transformer blow up on him at work yesterday, so i'll be in and out of the hospital as well and i just put a bid on a house. Things are kinda crazy right now but I can promise ya i'm not giving up! l8r

I hope your friend is ok, I work with high voltage too at times, it can be very unforgiving.

My best

Brian

Mega marty dont give up man check your roms filters and follow this instructions they're good at emulators and frontends. im new with the frontends too. if you need help just post even know im new i can help a lil this guys are always busy but they always checkin the forum for people who need help :D i love this site B)

The database I am referring to is in your config, edit this line

Also the RUNITGAME.bat is the command gameex uses to launch the emulator, that fact that it is flashing and closing is because it is erroring out. Right click on the RUNLASTGAME.bat and choose edit, then select its contents and choose copy, next click on start>run and type "cmd" without quotes. then right click in the dos box and choose PASTE, then press enter. This should show you the error, please let us know what it is.. I bet a dollar it cannot find the path or file specified.

Dont give up, we will get you going in no time. :) Trust me.

I tried running it without a database and the same thing would happen... This is the error that I'm getting "'Zsnesw.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Thoughts?

Mega marty dont give up man check your roms filters and follow this instructions they're good at emulators and frontends. im new with the frontends too. if you need help just post even know im new i can help a lil this guys are always busy but they always checkin the forum for people who need help :D i love this site B)

Hey darktouch, I'm starting to love this site too! Great people who are willing to help and I can't say enough great things about Brian and Dezblack helping me out with this! I'm pretty excited to get this working!

hey marty did you change the gui in the CFG file

; Transparent Messages - doesn't work with small font (0 = NO, 1 = Yes)

GUIEnableTransp=0

try to check that, yeah brian hes always helpin but i dont ask for help to much cause he call me lazy lol, :lol: jajajaja lmao just kiddin everybody its just being to nice with me.and i almost got my gameex running. but my computer doesnt have that much of hard drive memory but im getting a new one. for now im getting a portable hard drive. let me know if that option work and good luck marty B)

hey marty did you change the gui in the CFG file

; Transparent Messages - doesn't work with small font (0 = NO, 1 = Yes)

GUIEnableTransp=0

try to check that, yeah brian hes always helpin but i dont ask for help to much cause he call me lazy lol, :lol: jajajaja lmao just kiddin everybody its just being to nice with me.and i almost got my gameex running. but my computer doesnt have that much of hard drive memory but im getting a new one. for now im getting a portable hard drive. let me know if that option work and good luck marty B)

Yes, I went back and forth from 0 to 1 while changing other stuff as well. Thanx tho!

my bad marty this is the right one----; Disable GUI (0 = NO, 1 = Yes)

guioff=0

This is what it looks like right now...

; Stereo Reversed. Swaps left channel with right. (0 = off, 1 = L <-> R)

ReverseStereo = 0

; GUI Disable (1 = Disable GUI, 0 = Enable GUI)

GUIDisable = 0

; New Graphics Engine (1 = Enable, 0 = Disable)

NewGfx = 1

hey marty i just to have the same problem but i download another emulator its was the same as znes but i just start from scratch and on the filter just leave *.smc instead of *.smc; *.zip dont use the zip. so get another emulator i had the same problem so i start from scratch try that. let me get my configuration maybe that can help you <_<

hey marty i just to have the same problem but i download another emulator its was the same as znes but i just start from scratch and on the filter just leave *.smc instead of *.smc; *.zip dont use the zip. so get another emulator i had the same problem so i start from scratch try that. let me get my configuration maybe that can help you <_<

Yes, I like that idea and will give it a shot. I will let you know!

Enabled=True

STARTPAGENAME=Super Nintendo

TITLETEXT=Super Nintendo

StartPageLogo=snes

ROMFilter=*.smc

RomsInFolders=False

RomPath=C:\Emulators\Super Nintendo\roms

SnapPath=C:\Emulators\Super Nintendo\Snap Video

WorkingPath=C:\Emulators\Super Nintendo\

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=

SendKeys=

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=True

RemoveBrackets=True

ShowDesktop=False

Debug=False

MAPFile=

AlsoLaunch=

Command=zsnesw.exe "[rompath]\[romfile]"

OLDatZip=

TitlePath=C:\Emulators\Super Nintendo\Title Snap

BoxPath=

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

CartPath=

configFile=

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=snesbak.png

PlayMusic=

PCGame=

DATABASE=

DumbyValue=

GamesIn7Zips=

PlayInScreenSaver=True

ManualPath=

ControlPanelPath=

InstructionsPath=

lastgame=

DontShowInfo=

PlaySelectionMusic=

SelectionMusicFolder=

UseDbName=

MergeSets=

ShowMostPlayed=

you can only change the folder name, try not to change the exe name, good luck that my config

Got it! And I feel like an idiot. That should have been the first thing I tried. I was thinking too much into it. Instead of downloading it, I renamed the emulator file to zsnesw and double checked my config file with the one darktouch sent me. ... apparently, I changed the emu file name a long time ago. Of course it couldn't find it.. GAAAHHH lol

Well, thanx for all of your help guys. I really appreciate it. I'm sure that that's why the genesis emulator isn't working as well. You guys rock! I'm sure i'll be roaming the forum at times and will run into you all again! Take care! :)

I tried running it without a database and the same thing would happen... This is the error that I'm getting "'Zsnesw.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Thoughts?

Most likely, you have the wrong name, or wrong path to the executable.