All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

anyone running 3DO?

scurvy

From what I've read it looks like there is only one emulator for 3do called freedo and it's not that good and has terrible audio.. i'm just debating hunting down all these games for 3do and if it's worth it or to skip this system in my new emulator machine.

From what I've read it looks like there is only one emulator for 3do called freedo and it's not that good and has terrible audio.. i'm just debating hunting down all these games for 3do and if it's worth it or to skip this system in my new emulator machine.

I use it for some roms, but the emulator itself is garbage.. A lot of compatibility issues and bad sound.. One rom will be LOUD as hell, and another will have missing samples, but works fine on my Panasonic 3D0 so the rip is good..

MESS has a non-working "driver" for 3D0, just not working yet.. Lets see if this gets better once the driver is assigned to someone to work on.. :P

I use it for some roms, but the emulator itself is garbage.. A lot of compatibility issues and bad sound.. One rom will be LOUD as hell, and another will have missing samples, but works fine on my Panasonic 3D0 so the rip is good..

MESS has a non-working "driver" for 3D0, just not working yet.. Lets see if this gets better once the driver is assigned to someone to work on.. :P

The MESS driver appears to be pretty much abandoned at the moment.. Updates to it were a long while ago - sadly.

The best hope though is the mess driver, and hopefully the development of that will continue soon.

FreeDO sadly is a very old emulator that has recieved no updates for a very long time (2 1/2 years). Again, sadly, the core emulation is fairly sound but is missing several aspects of the 3DO hardware, so emulation is not as good as it could be. Also, the 3d emulation leaves a lot to be desired, and this is a shame.

At the moment, 3DO emulation is a bit of a lost cause. Though I personally am optomistic that this will change..

There are 2 systems with perfect rom/cd dumps and FAR from perfect emulation, the Jaguar and 3DO... and these upsettingly are 2 of the systems that I really want to play...

God, give me Road Rash 3D0, :(

The MESS driver appears to be pretty much abandoned at the moment.. Updates to it were a long while ago - sadly.

The best hope though is the mess driver, and hopefully the development of that will continue soon.

FreeDO sadly is a very old emulator that has recieved no updates for a very long time (2 1/2 years). Again, sadly, the core emulation is fairly sound but is missing several aspects of the 3DO hardware, so emulation is not as good as it could be. Also, the 3d emulation leaves a lot to be desired, and this is a shame.

At the moment, 3DO emulation is a bit of a lost cause. Though I personally am optomistic that this will change..

There are 2 systems with perfect rom/cd dumps and FAR from perfect emulation, the Jaguar and 3DO... and these upsettingly are 2 of the systems that I really want to play...

God, give me Road Rash 3D0, :(

Also, for what it is worth, the audio emulation in FreeDO seems worse when running on Vista as compared to XP.

Also, for what it is worth, the audio emulation in FreeDO seems worse when running on Vista as compared to XP.

It is worse on Vista.

It is a known audio issue... SSF had the same problems on the earlier releases and NullDC still does unless you modify the audio yourself

alright i'm going to scratch 3do off my list, anything else i should not waste my time on? jaguar seems pretty solid from what i've played so far

Unless you REALLY like the Wing Commander series.

The First Wing Commander was recreated on the 3DO, and had a lot of graphic extra's. It is reasonably playable, with only some sound skipping and minor graphics issues. I have FreeDO running in Gameex with only this one game.... just to make the collection complete.. :rolleyes:

Arjen

Shame that Jag sucks also for emu. Everything is emu'd fine for me except but I can't pack away my Panasonic FZ-1 or Jag just yet.. :P

As for perfect dumps, unless ya do them yourself, there are 3 versions of most of the games that have been classified as "perfect" but the checksums don't match.. Same with 3DO.. Even TOSEC isn't complete on this system..

I'm hoping that with a SDL version of Virtual Jag out now, that perhaps Jaguar emulation will get better in the near future. Other than sound VJ is pretty good. With sound off everything looks pretty good (not many glitches) but it runs pig slow even on a high end machine with sound on -- and it's not even full sound emulation at that. Unfortunately there isn't any speed limiting either -- so with sound off it just runs as fast as it can, which for many titles becomes just plain unplayable. Still, it's a respectable start, so I have hopes for the Jag at least. It's one of my favourite systems.

I don't have as high hopes for the 3DO, though. I haven't seen any work being done by anybody on emulating this system for years. Which is unfortunate. I guess part of it is just a popularity contest. The Jag and 3DO were never popular systems, so I guess it's natural that fewer people would work on emulating them. Not like the PSX which was emulated nearly perfectly even while the system was still on the shelves.