All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Instant Sheller / Key Wiz / Startup problem

TalkingBull

I am using a KeyWiz40-ST on my system and when I start up my cab normally and open GameEx, I don't have a problem. When I use Instant Sheller, the KeyWiz software doesn't load properly and I lose my button configuration. If I disable Instant Sheller and put GameEx in the Startup folder, it loads with the proper keyset but for some reason, GameEx will only load minimized! How can I fix this???

The best way is to use a logon script that loads what you need in the order you need it. The script can be in pretty much any language you want (I personally use AHK). Basically, you just go through each program in the right order calling them and then put GameEx at the end of the list. It's probably best (if you use AHK) to put a "WinActivate" at the end to make sure nothing steels GameEx's focus.

From the AHK Helpfile (My new best friend!)

Six attempts will be made to activate the target window over the course of 60ms. Thus, it is usually unnecessary to follow WinActivate with WinWaitActive.

When Loading a program, I usually use WinWaitActive, Just in case the window isn't there to WinActivate.

Hmmm... Maybe I can do something like this with the script that steals focus from GameEX.

I would recommend checking out AHK (AutoHotKey). The script that you write can be compiled into an EXE so that you don't need to install anything on a system that the code is deployed on. The forum is very active and easily searchable. And, since several people here are users, you can ask for help and might get a solution!

Anyway, it's a really easy language that's about as human readable as it gets. But, that doesn't take away from it's capabilities. You can remap buttons, launch programs, simulate user inputs, perform complex logic, etc. If you need help crafting a specific script, someone here can get you started (or maybe even write it for you if you ask nice enough ;)).

Ugh... this is all very new and confusing to me... also somewhat difficult to work on in the cab. The problem would no longer exist if GameEx would just stay maximized when it loads. Does anyone know why it is minimizing? It does it about 70% of the time too so I don't know why it does it sometimes but loads normally others. I don't have anything else running on this thing.

I know exactly why it's minimizing! There is another program running that steels the focus from GameEx. Since GameEx is maximized in your setup, when it loses focus it will minimize (this is how Windows is designed to work). GameEx could probably check to see if it was minimized and restore itself automatically, but I don't want it to do that since I do sometimes minimize it to work on something behind the scenes.

The solution here is to determine what's steeling focus, first. Then we can figure out how to either restore focus or get it to stop doing it in the first place. This is not really a GameEx problem so much as it is a problem with the way things are set up. But, the first step is figuring out what's causing the problem (the program that's steeling focus).

Do you have video snaps or an intro video? If so, do you use the FFDSHOW codec on the main page, an official release, or another codec pack entirely?

This sounds like there is something else loading and is racing GameEx to see which will start first. Usually it's the other app, but sometimes it's GameEx. When GameEx wins, the other steals focus and you see GameEx minimized. The reason I ask about codecs is that there are some that use a system tray icon when initiated. As a result, when you view your first video for that codec GameEx will minimize.

Do you have video snaps or an intro video? If so, do you use the FFDSHOW codec on the main page, an official release, or another codec pack entirely?

This sounds like there is something else loading and is racing GameEx to see which will start first. Usually it's the other app, but sometimes it's GameEx. When GameEx wins, the other steals focus and you see GameEx minimized. The reason I ask about codecs is that there are some that use a system tray icon when initiated. As a result, when you view your first video for that codec GameEx will minimize.

I don't use an intro video and I have K-Light Mega Codec pack installed which doesn't have an icon in the system tray. I really want to use Instant Sheller but it won't let KeyWiz load if I do that. As far as I can tell though, there isn't any other program running whatsoever. I don't get it.