All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Cabinets and HTPC Setups Running GameEx

David R Hilgendorf

EDIT: Tspeirs: Most of the posted images are in the gallery now. Click Gallery link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share pictures of your cabinet running GameEx by Replying to this topic.

This topic should be for info about your cabinet project only.

If you wish to comment on a cabinet, please post a new topic.

Thanks.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MAME'cab :

Cab : arcade electronic

with AMD Athlon XP2000 256 Mo Ram DD : 35 Go + 80 Go

Personnal Hack keyboard, with mouse + Joystick in player 1

Personnal Spinner with Hack Mouse

Dance Pad TX 2000 for Stepmania :P

Light Gun : Act Lab

Microphone for Karaoké :blink:

And french version of Gamex with personnal skin in full screen

Soft running :

MAME

Virtual Music Jukebox

Stepmania

VP-Man

Karawin

1964 and Project 64

5 light gun games (Mad dog, house of th dead 2 and 3...)

post-11-1110009227_thumb.jpg

post-11-1110009250_thumb.jpg

post-11-1110009306_thumb.jpg

post-11-1110009324_thumb.jpg

post-11-1110009341_thumb.jpg

Here's my 'MarkII Arcade Machine'. It's running GameEx of course which I think is the best frontend especially for an MCE based machine. It's based on a 19' half-height comms rack, with 21'' monitor on top with perspex cover, then modelling foam board stuck on the front/sides. The effect works great and everything fits perfect. 'MarkI' had artwork and marque but I found these wrinkled with time so I have decided to leave this one blank. LED is a nice touch and can display scrolling text. Whole thing can be built in hours and dismantled/moved in minutes. Plays Mame, movies, home videos, pics, mp3s from a central storage server over wireless using WPA encryption.

Chris.. (MK, UK).

post-19-1110658859_thumb.jpg

post-19-1110658888_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is:

I thought I'd do something a little different. I took a video with my cheap digital camera.

It shows my living room (batchelor pad), complete with 70" front projected TV and Arcade Cabinet running MCE/GameEx and GameEx shell.

Its 10mb here is the link:

http://tomspeirs.com/gameex/download/Tom_Home_GameEx.AVI

[it's not great quality but you may find it fun to see, as it shows GameEx setup for Cabinet and also Home Entertainment]

Ok, I've done some updating on my cab and thought I'd share some new pics.

Things I've done since last pics:

Changed out the 2 T-Stick+ for Midway 49 way sticks. (You can see the new menu items I added to switch joystick modes!) I am working on replacing the handles with Red Balltops.

Figured out how to change the LED Marquee :)

Here it is as of today:

post-4-1112648799_thumb.jpg

post-4-1112648823_thumb.jpg

Hereâ??s a picture of my MAME cabinet and my beautiful daughter Emily. We both love the cabinet. It has recently been â??upgradedâ?? from â??Game Launcherâ? to â??GameExâ?.

I will update the picture soon to include GameEx running on the screen.

Mame.JPG

• 1 month later...

mame_finished.jpg

This is a quick picture I took of my Mame cabinet. I also recently added a bezel around the TV... You can find a lot of pictures and information about the build process that I went through on my Tech Projects Blog site listed below. This has really been a fun project. Thanks for the great front end to manage all the games!

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I'd throw my cabinet into the ring as well..

This is my first cabinet and I think it turned out pretty well.

Has all the goodies on it...Trackball, Light gun, Spinner, 4 way, 8 ways, and pinball flipper buttons on the side....

GameEx works very well for my project..I love it!

Thanks again for your work!

post-126-1118790754_thumb.jpg

post-126-1118790714_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
post-69-1131161249_thumb.jpgpost-69-1131161263_thumb.jpgFinally got my cab to point I could move it from the garage into the house,still have some tweaking to do if can pry my kids hands off the joysticks.Thanks to all in the arcade community that helped me along on this project.Its been interesting.

post-69-1131161539_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time4Akshuns Cab System 1 MameCab!!

post-384-1133294665_thumb.jpg

post-384-1133294685_thumb.jpg

post-384-1133646025_thumb.jpg

Specs:

IBM PC

1 Gig Ram

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB DDR VGA & DVI DUAL DISPLAY

150 Gig USB Drive (for roms and Mp3s)

Multisync 95 19 inch Monitor

Cambridge Soundworks Dolby 5.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer

X-Arcade 2 Player Joystick

Cheapy Japanese Wireless Keyboard

Software:

GameEx Front End (Galaxian Theme!!)

Mame32 (.101)

Still Need to Do:

Install Marquee Light

Paint Monitor Bezel black

Consider an X-Arcade BaseKit to make the control area cleaner.

Notes:

System1 Cabs (Indy Jones, Marble Madness, etc.) are absolutely perfect for Mame Cabs!! They include front door access to your pc and components and a nice shelf for mounting your monitor. Very little woodwork needed!! About 10 minutes worth!!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my mostly finished cabinet. I still need to add some sideart and a bezel to spruce it up a bit....I took the photo without the flash in order to see the screen OK (and show the glowing balltop joysticks!)

cab-gamex.jpg

For those who are curious, this was a old arcade cabinet that I refinished. It used to be red and ugly. I got it from a local arcade. It was a generic machine with a monitor that could be used as landscape or portrait (it now has a 27" flat tube CRT TV). I completely gutted it out, reinforced it and covered it with new Formica. It has been a year long process to get all the pieces needed, then one week of 1am work days (could only work on it at night). Finally, I added Game-Ex. I am very pleased with this program and am excited to see where it goes....L8R!!!

JSC "MrScary" :D