All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

playchoice 10 games

coinheaven

after i hit the insert coin button, how do i select a channel? i looked at the default keys and didnt see anything about a channel select button.

Taken from the FAQ at MAME:

How do I start a PlayChoice-10 game?

The Playchoice-10 system was a multigame arcade machine. MAME emulates a Playchoice-10 with one game in it. However, the "channel select" menus and timer still are there in MAME. PC-10 games are timer-based, which means coins buy playing time, instead of a certain number of lives. Game ends when time is up, although you can reset, start and continue unlimited times, as long as you have time left).

To start the game, do the following:

1. Run MAME with the PC-10 game you want to play (ex. "MAME PC_SMB3" would run Super Mario Bros 3, or "MAME PC_RCPAM" would run RC Pro-AM).

2. Insert a coin by pressing 5 to put some time on the timer (300 Units Per coin).

3. Press 0 to select channel one.

4. Press - to "Enter" the game.

5. Press 1 to select Options.

6. Press 2 to Start Game.

Thanks for the instructions. I don't understand why I couldn't figure it out. PC-10 games are obviously SOOOOO intuitive :blink:

Oh well, at least I know it's possible to play them now!

Couldn't figure out cuz perhaps never read the FAQ? LOL. :P

I Had remembered seeing it awhile back which is why I jumped in! I never played them either. ;)

Seems we do more setting up and helping others than actually playing. :blink:

Ok, you caught me :ph34r:

I actually never thought to read the MAME FAQ since there are other oddities that I've run across that don't provide an easy set of search terms.

-= WARNING =-

This thread may get slightly off topic below

-= WARNING =-

For instance, I'm just getting around to setting up my new Namco GunCon2 controllers with Guncon2Mouse (or WinGun) and am experiencing a problem with the mouse cursor jumping across the screen from the right side to the left side as I move the gun from left to right. I don't have a clue what to put in google to narrow it down. This wasn't a problem with my Scoprion3's, but it is with these different guns. Makes it really tough to play PC-10 Hogan's alley!

You won't have this issue since you have LCD Topguns. I didn't go with those this time either after reading that you have to be ~3x the distance from the screen as the distance between the bars. That would damn near put me in the next room! Your guns will work correctly out of the box either with the Topgun's driver or the Guncon2Mouse/WinGun driver since yours are based on where the gun is pointing and not where the scan line is located.

I've read I may have an issue with using these since this gun works better with 100Hz CRT's and my set is 60Hz. I really didn't want to buy yet ANOTHER set of guns, so I'm really hoping these can work. The other thing is that these do look pretty damn cool!

guncon2big.jpg

I see your memory is fading as fast as mine... I do have the topguns, but they do not have the drivers for XP64, instead, they came out with the Topgun II. I already have a pair of the GunCon2 guns, (Like you, I'm not buying another set of guns) and I thought that I had read that a piece of hardware was required to get the guns to work. It seems like they were even using some hardware that Ultimarc used to make to get them to work. Hmmm... It seems like at was a frequency issue, and they were using the hardware to change it. Maybe they were talking about using them with an arcade monitor? This is all from memory, so not Golden!

At any rate, you and I discussed this in a thread before, and you said they would work without the hardware.... Let me know if it does indeed work. Please?

I will someday install the Topguns on my driving cab, so I can play "Lucky & Wild"

The Topguns *should* work without hardware. The Guncon's *should* work out of the box as well. The problem is that the Namco guns are apparently fancy and can work on both HD and SD CRT's. They apparently seem to default to HD when run with a PC. I thought I was getting a better gun, but now that I read more about it, I may have been wrong.

Here's the problem with them. They will not work correctly with the guncon2pc driver (Acorn's driver), but they will work with WinGun (Smog's driver). WinGun treats each gun as if it's a single mouse, so you it apparently doesn't play nice with current versions of MAME. The guncon2pc driver treats each gun as if it's a separate mouse, so you get separate axis. It *should* work with current versions of MAME. The problem is that the NAMCO gun cannot work with Acorn's driver due to the "rolling X" problem. Smog's driver was specifically designed to fix this problem, so it will work there.

Smog pulled his site down for some reason, so unless you have a copy of the driver "WinGunV0.82B.zip", you are SOL. I do, but I didn't like it as much as the guncon2pc version. At this point, I'm just going to try to get things working with an older version of MAME and the WinGun driver so I can play some games. I'm hoping this will allow me to use it with some PC titles so I can get enough quality games to make the trouble worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
If you still want to find those drivers there in the wayback machine. www.archive.org that site records all webpages and their changes

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://acorns...inGunV0.82B.exe

this is the only place I have found it

Not only did I download the driver, I bookmarked the Wayback Machine website.

Not bad for your first post! What magic trick are you going to reveal in your second? :rolleyes:

I searched all over the place to find that file and the way back machine was the only place I found it. I didn't post the link in October only because I was afraid someone would see it and request the file be removed. Course if noone knew it was there it doesn't help anybody anyway, so...

Btw, does anyone have their guncons working with the WinGun driver AND have Logitech Rumblepads installed and working? I had my guns working great and then I installed my gamepads. Now I can't get MAME to recognize the guns. I'm going to try reinstalling the WinGun stuff today. I looked and it seems like Logitech added a bunch of crap to the HID section so I'm not sure if that's screwed anything up. <_<

• 2 years later...

ok i followed your directions and it still doesnt work for me i dont know whats wrong with it

Which directions did you follow? What is it that you're trying to do? Please give more details than it "doesn't work for me". Any errors? Which step can not be completed? More detail will help us troubleshoot. ;)