All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Alternative LCD Display for Cab /w LCD Smartie

Sound_Doctor

Just wanted to pass this along as I know I found it interesting:

http://palmorb.sourceforge.net/

It allows you to use any old palm device, running palmOS 2.0 or better as a inexpensive LCD Display.

Ive tried it here at the office emulating a matrix orbital display, and it works great, and it also works with any other LCD driving software such as LCD Smartie.

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend hopefully to see if it works with the Tie in from Gameex.

It seems actually a better option than adding a dedicated lcd display, as you get a LCD, and a touchscreen all in one.

[edit] added features list:

Features:

Free - published under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Supports PalmOS 2.0 and above.

Fairly complete emulation of a Matrix Orbital LK204-25 LCD (with a 4x20 display).

25 Keys (sent to host). Graffiti also supported.

Color support.

Serial (RS232) support - fully configurable.

(experimental) USB support. A LCD Smartie 5.3+ build is required for USB support on Windows.

BlueTooth (Serial Port Profile), and InfraRed (IrCOMM) support.

Visual display of 6 General Propose Outputs (GPOs).

Visual display of 8 Custom defined characters.

Full built-in help.

Very configurable.

Backlight support.

Palm's Auto switch-off disabled as long as data is received, and battery level isn't too low.

Great for debugging software that drives Matrix Orbital displays!

SoundDoc

I just wanted to post a quick followup:

(grabbed some excess hardware lying around the office, only had access to the legal roms)

aaarrgghh. can't post the images for some reason. Find them attached (maybe I can?)

post-25-1109973950.jpg

post-25-1109973973.jpg

post-25-1109974020_thumb.jpg

The last one is the way I'm going to mount one in my cab, backlite on, inversed image, so it glows, in a opening just large enough for the active area of the screen.

With the availiable plugins for smartie, so many options, so little time....

sd