All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] "BlueBalls"

greatflash

Just curious about other resolutions. This one is obviously wide screen which looks great! I would say most people are running 4:3 at 640x480 (TV and low or medium resolution arcade monitor) or 800x600 (high resolution arcade monitor). When this scales, how does it do that so that it doesn't break things badly? Or, if you have to do it prior to release and assuming you will be releasing a non-wide screen version, will you make sure things aren't screwy? If not, will you release the psd files so that they can be edited correctly? No pressure, I'm just curious since this is looking so good I'll be jealous if I can't use it. :blink:

Well. I have kept the photoshop files for ALL the backgrounds and graphics. I was going to resize the main background (the frame) and move all the incidental graphics to suit (rather than resize them)

Here are two images, one is a scaled version and the other is a quick photoshop re-model. I think the borders may need to be re-jigged to compensate?

PS. what do ya think of the images in the list?

PS. Tried to zip a psd file for the gameboy one, can out at 4.37 meg so can't upload it for you to have a look at, sorry :(

PS. Sorry the Octopus is flying... :blink:

post-3753-1221603386_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221603397_thumb.jpg

Upon further thought BK, re-modeled the template to construct a 640x480 one to see how it looked done correctly (did not modify the icons though).

Anyone else - please look above at the collection of 5 images, these have pictures behind the game lists - thoughts?

BK, template is available for 640x480 if you wanna play?

post-3753-1221605892_thumb.jpg

I think those look really good! Impressive work :)

So, it should be fairly easy to do them at 640x480. What are your experiences with using a 1024x768 them in 640x480? Only asking as I wondered if it would be better to resize to 1024x768 and let GameEx take care of the 640x480 version with its own rescale? Your thoughts please oh kindly sir! :P

I've never used the newer themes. I'm currently using one of the RedEx themes (Default - RedEx - Arcade800x600). I can't remember off the top of my head, but as I recall, Windows doesn't really like 640x480 now that I think about it. I think I've been using 800x600 or 1024x768 which the video card then scales down to tv resolution (~640x480). I guess that means that 1024x768 should work fine, but I know 800x600 will work. If I get a chance this evening, I'll fire up the cab and try the newer themes to see what's up. I'm sure Tom got it right or else someone would have spoken up by now.

EDIT: I had another look at my backed up GameEx.ini and it looks like GameEx is actually scaling to 640x480. So, as long as the new themes work like the old ones, everything *should* work if you just made 1024x768. Btw, you said something about making a template available, but I searched the thread and didn't see anything. If you upped a raw theme with just the MAME background or something, that would probably give me enough to make sure it works correctly at 1024.

I've never used the newer themes. I'm currently using one of the RedEx themes (Default - RedEx - Arcade800x600). I can't remember off the top of my head, but as I recall, Windows doesn't really like 640x480 now that I think about it. I think I've been using 800x600 or 1024x768 which the video card then scales down to tv resolution (~640x480). I guess that means that 1024x768 should work fine, but I know 800x600 will work. If I get a chance this evening, I'll fire up the cab and try the newer themes to see what's up. I'm sure Tom got it right or else someone would have spoken up by now.

EDIT: I had another look at my backed up GameEx.ini and it looks like GameEx is actually scaling to 640x480. So, as long as the new themes work like the old ones, everything *should* work if you just made 1024x768. Btw, you said something about making a template available, but I searched the thread and didn't see anything. If you upped a raw theme with just the MAME background or something, that would probably give me enough to make sure it works correctly at 1024.

I have done a template at 640x480 that I was going to upload here. what I will do is make a 1024x768 one (same ratio so should be ok) later today and will upload that for you to check for me please. If i know it works then i will finish the theme at 1680x1050 (to support up to 1920x1080 - widescreen res's) then work on converting down to a 4:3 res set (1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, 128x96 :) )

Oh the joys. At least i have had no bad comments about the graphics in the rom list. It will be a bit more worth but may be worth it? What the hell do I use for the Fairchild Channel F?

EDIT: Done one to 800x600 for 2 reasons, 1 - it sits between the 2 other 4:3 resolutions for easy scaling up or down, 2 - the psd is less than 2 megs so i can upload it here for you.. :)

EDIT:Template removed for now - THANKS BK!

post-3753-1221637765_thumb.jpg

I WANT, ME WANT, I WANT, ME WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW NOW NOW!!!

I like the artwork you have added in behind the romlists makes it look all the more flashy.

Very nice looking so far, cant wait for the d/l to be up!

Thanks for your interest and glad you like the list images. Work is still going on, but there is a fair bit left to do (just over half way).

Out of interest, what resolution do you run gameex in?

The currently complete backgrounds are as follows (the ones with the 'x')

3DO

Amstrad cpc x

Apple II x

Atari 800 x

Atari 2600 x

Atari 5200 x

Atari 7800 x

Atari Jaguar x

Atari Lynx x

Atari ST x

Acorn BBC x

Bally Astrocade x

Commodore Amiga x

Commodore c64 x

Commodore CD-32

Commodore Plus 4 x

Commodore Vic-20 x

Colecovision x

Daphne x

Fairchild Channel F x

Future Pinball x

Magnavox Oddyssey

Mattel Intellivision x

MGT Sam Coup'e x

MSX (Version 1)

MSX (Version 2)

NEC PC Engine x

NEC Pc-FX

Nintendo DS

Nintendo Gameboy x

Nintendo Gameboy Advance x

Nintendo Gameboy Colour x

Nintendo N64 x

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES x

Nintendo Super Gameboy

Nintendo Virtual Boy x

Quickshot Supervision

ScummVM x

Sega 32x

Sega Dreamcast x

Sega GameGear

Sega Master System x

Gega Mega CD

Sega Megadrive x

Sega Naomi x

Sega Saturn x

Sinclair Spectrum x

Sinclair ZX81

SNK Neo-Geo CD

SNK Neo-Geo MVS

SNK Neo-Geo Pocket

SNK Neo-Geo Pocket Colour

Sony Playstation

Sony PSP x

Texas Instruments TI-99/4a

Vectrex x

Thanks!

BK: Did you nab the template?

Just a few more images for a bit of feedback (again!).

Had another play with the PSP and Daphne ones to add the list images.

post-3753-1221685980_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221685989_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221685998_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221686006_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221686013_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221686020_thumb.jpg

Not yet. I'm still at work, but I'll grab it when I get home. BTW, have you checked how vertical MAME videos fit in the AVI snap window? I've noticed that sometimes in my current theme they tend to run over the edge a bit.

Yes. The preview box is square to accomodate vert and horiz. On the full res theme the area is 700x700 pixels. the secondary preview box is also set to handle all box sizes nicely and also vert title captures. :)

Looking good Billy Ray...

That is very kind dear sir!

(What have I and achey breaky heart got in common? - I know there is a tempest dig in there somewhere? ;) )

Cool! I didn't get a chance to look at this last night since I was dealing with other issues. I was lucky enough to contract the Antivirus XP 2008 piece of crap. Took me a couple days to get it removed. By the way, if anyone else gets this little gem, use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to remove it. I had Avast! running but it didn't stop it. I installed Spy-bot, but it couldn't help either. The above program was able to remove it completely.

Back on topic...I'm hoping to get a chance to look at this tonight. I downloaded it yesterday, but didn't really know where to put it. This isn't a complete theme, so do I just drop it in a complete V4 theme and go to NES (setting my NES emu to that background of course)? That seems wrong. Admittedly, I didn't have time to open the archive and 7zip doesn't open on my work machine. :ph34r:

Cool! I didn't get a chance to look at this last night since I was dealing with other issues. I was lucky enough to contract the Antivirus XP 2008 piece of crap. Took me a couple days to get it removed. By the way, if anyone else gets this little gem, use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to remove it. I had Avast! running but it didn't stop it. I installed Spy-bot, but it couldn't help either. The above program was able to remove it completely.

Back on topic...I'm hoping to get a chance to look at this tonight. I downloaded it yesterday, but didn't really know where to put it. This isn't a complete theme, so do I just drop it in a complete V4 theme and go to NES (setting my NES emu to that background of course)? That seems wrong. Admittedly, I didn't have time to open the archive and 7zip doesn't open on my work machine. :ph34r:

no, it is a 1024x768 photoshop file. I thought you may like to play and see how it comes out on a 640x480 cab set-up. I have no idea if the "system originally released" text will still be visible or if the theme itself will work at this resolution. Just open it in photoshop and save the .png as a background for GameEx, you know the rest... :)

If any changes need to be made to the text size, position or font, please zip it up and return and I can use that as a basis for the 4:3 theme!

Thanks for your help BK.

I checked it out last night on a 800x600 them and it looked pretty good. The text in the upper right is slightly blurry, but it's a TV, so what do you expect. I wouldn't make it any smaller, but it's probably ok in the size it's in. Everything else looked good.

I haven't had any problem with scaling, after playing around with things, so I'm thinking that 1024x768 might be good enough as a single theme (smaller resolutions would just let GameEx scale down). The only question would be how GameEx would scale fonts...hmmm.

In any case, the NES image looked good!

How long till the 640x480 version?

BK: Thanks for doing that for me, really helps also to know how things look on a CRT to. So, I know what to do now. 2 different theme resolutions. One for widescreen (1280x1024 will result in a LITTLE squishing - but should not really show) and one for 4:3 at 1024x768 and that will support all other resolutions via scaling. I don't think the fonts will be an issue. The fonts for the main list etc will be sized in accordance for the 1024x768 version, slightly larger than the widescreen ones.

Beaps: The theme will be completed first at the widescreen resolutions. This will not support 640x480, but when that is done it should/will be a simple task to recreate it in a 1024x768 sized theme that will scale down to 640x480 for cabinet use. That is my hope anyway. When I do the 4:3 one (if BK does not mind) I will ask if BK can check it at 640x480 and then that will also be released. It should not be too long, gonna give it a break this weekend and carry on monday.

Thanks for your interest. I will post here how things are going.

EDIT: Going for a 800x600 that will scale up to 1024x768 and down to 640x480 - this will make sure all fonts still look good!

Sounds good! My only concern with 800x600 is loss of quality for those using 1024x768. Is it possible to have the images saved as 1024x768 in the png files and then have the theme scale them to the right background size? That way the background info wouldn't suffer and the fonts would be right also. I don't know what quality issue this would turn into (maybe imperceivable), just thought I would suggest it in case it is possible.

Sounds good! My only concern with 800x600 is loss of quality for those using 1024x768. Is it possible to have the images saved as 1024x768 in the png files and then have the theme scale them to the right background size? That way the background info wouldn't suffer and the fonts would be right also. I don't know what quality issue this would turn into (maybe imperceivable), just thought I would suggest it in case it is possible.

You would not notice the differnce from 800x600 to 1024x768. I am now off to bed, but I will post 2 pictures at the 2 resolutions for you to see tomorrow.

Nice Theme GreatFlash. Looks like you put a lot of work into it. Any chance you would mind sharing where you get some of the high quality artwork from? I have tried to do searches on Google, found some stuff, but not the highest res. Thought you might have some good info. Hope its not a bother.