All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] "BlueBalls"

greatflash

@tempest: I'm just waiting for the next beer fest to come...

actually I don't have any :( we didn't harvest enough potatoes this year to trade it for some... (wow, this was hard to admit. over here you are a worthless piece of sh+t without them)

anyway back to the thread... can you explain to me why 3DO doesn't make sense? I thought the emu runs a lot of commercial games... :huh:

@BK - That would be considerate of you, could you PM us before you go? B)

@Chris - Would you mind posting a pic of yourself in your lederhosen? :o

@Flash - If you want to talk about your theme, could you please start a new thread, and stop hi-jacking this one? ;)

:P

what - another new thread...? This always happens when I start one... Good grief!

No - I will stick to this one... I'm sure that with a bit of careful thought I can swing this one back to the theme....

Chriss knows how to take a joke, mind you - beginning to wonder about him using 2 s's on his nick?

still, i would like to see that picture also :D

anyway, after careful thought, i would just like to mention that i have also changed all the default sounds! (in the theme that is, I am working on one at the moment - remember?)

:) 2 all

@tempest: I'm just waiting for the next beer fest to come...

actually I don't have any :( we didn't harvest enough potatoes this year to trade it for some... (wow, this was hard to admit. over here you are a worthless piece of sh+t without them)

anyway back to the thread... can you explain to me why 3DO doesn't make sense? I thought the emu runs a lot of commercial games... :huh:

can't you just nip to ASDA - there's a 2 for 1 on potatoes ;)

Well, the 3DO emu has not been updated since 1968 and is quite slow and a pain to run! I could do one then, perhaps it is best t have the theme as complete as possible.

My Jaguar emu is proof of that ^^

:)

Ok, Ok... 3DO is now on the list for a background.. (there must be something better to use than Gex though?)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Jaguar stuff. That emu is pretty good too ;)

ok, and jaguar!

PS. not doing one for ps3 or xbox 360 just so you can have a list of unplayable games :)

Just a little update on the theme.

The Daphe/mame pictures are a bit of a mock-up, the background and foreground are both done as shown, but the picture is from Photoshop as GameEx does not support overlays on anything other than custom emulators. All the images i am doing also have custom overlays to compliment them. Come on Tom - please can we have the overlays for other screens like mame? You have come so far with improving the look/flexibility of GameEx, it can't be that hard to add the rest, can it???

This is a list of all backgrounds that will be in the theme (the ones with X's are complete - as are jukebox, radio, etc). Any suggestions for images to use or systems to add would be greatfully recieved!

3DO

Amstrad cpc x

Apple II x

Atari 800 x

Atari 2600 x

Atari 5200 x

Atari 7800 x

Atari Jaguar x

Atari Lynx x

Atari ST x

Acorn BBC x

Bally Astrocade x

Commodore Amiga x

Commodore c64 x

Commodore CD-32

Commodore Plus 4 x

Commodore Vic-20 x

Colecovision x

Daphne x

Fairchild Channel F x

Future Pinball x

Magnavox Oddyssey

Mattel Intellivision x

MGT Sam Coup'e x

MSX (Version 1)

MSX (Version 2)

NEC PC Engine x

NEC Pc-FX

Nintendo Gameboy

Nintendo Gameboy Advance

Nintendo Gameboy Colour

Nintendo N64

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Nintendo Super Gameboy

Nintendo Virtual Boy x

Quickshot Supervision

ScummVM x

Sega 32x

Sega Dreamcast x

Sega GameGear

Sega Master System x

Sega Mega CD

Sega Megadrive x

Sega Naomi x

Sega Saturn x

Sinclair Spectrum x

Sinclair ZX81

SNK Neo-Geo CD

SNK Neo-Geo MVS

SNK Neo-Geo Pocket

SNK Neo-Geo Pocket Colour

Sony Playstation

Texas Instruments TI-99/4a

Vectrex x

Thanks to Tom and all!! :)

PS. Not sure about the red base in the mame overlay, or the size of the overlay?

post-3753-1221426250_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221426305_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221426317_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221426327_thumb.jpg

This is looking pretty good!

I asked in another thread as well but what is the trick to setting up these new themes? I have not installed this one yet but is there something different when setting up themes where the images is in front of the video?

There is not 'trick' as such. each emulator background consists of 2 files, a standard background one and a foreground one.

i.e.

pc-engine.png

pc-engine_Foreground.png

Select the standard background (pc-engine.png in this case) and GameEx will automatically overlay the other image when the emulator is selected. This only works for custom emulators at the moment (Tom??).

Take a look at the files in the <current theme>/media/ directory to see what i mean (if you are using a theme that uses overlays).

Go Flash Go! I can't wait to deploy this theme!

I sadly noticed there's no PSP backgrounds in the works? There's a good deal of homebrew that runs under the current emulator.

What do you mean by "custom emulators"?

How will this look at 1024 X 768?

Custom Emulators are the ones you specify yourself (unlike Daphne and Mame that are already pre-built in GameEx). For example, if you add a PC-Engine emulator to GameEx - this is a custom emulator, and as such - overlay backgrounds will work for it. Hope that explains it? (not great at explaining things - sorry)

The theme is designed to run from 1024x768 up to 1920x1200 (and beyond i would think). The actual image sizes lay in between at 1680x1050 to allow GameEx to apply its own scaling up or down to suit (gameex does a great job doing so).

So, in answer - yes is should be fine at 1024x768.

Go Flash Go! I can't wait to deploy this theme!

I sadly noticed there's no PSP backgrounds in the works? There's a good deal of homebrew that runs under the current emulator.

Ok, i will add one for PSP. Mercury would be a good image to use as it was a good launch title, ridge racer is too often used.. Unless you have any other suggestions?

Mercury's good with me (although at present it doesn't run on the emulator). :)

Nintendo DS is another one I would seriously consider as No$GBA currently runs some commercial roms. ;)

See? I know you want more work! Hehehe!

Mercury's good with me (although at present it doesn't run on the emulator). :)

Nintendo DS is another one I would seriously consider as No$GBA currently runs some commercial roms. ;)

See? I know you want more work! Hehehe!

Could not find good enough artwork for mercury, so I went for another PSP defining moment - love it or hate it, Locoroco.

I will do a DS one as you have got a good point (not that I can get ANY emu to run full screen for GameEx though)

Ok, done a few more systems (PSP is mocked as I have not got it set up).

Any thoughts as always are welcome... ;)

post-3753-1221511097_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221511109_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221511121_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221511135_thumb.jpg

Hey Flash can you please change the title of this thread to be a bit more descriptive eg. "Flash's new theme". I understand it was a joke title in the beginning, but I think you've created a great theme and it's getting some nice feedback, so you should give it a proper name ;)

So the question is, what is the name of this theme? "Flash Blue" maybe?

Hey Flash can you please change the title of this thread to be a bit more descriptive eg. "Flash's new theme". I understand it was a joke title in the beginning, but I think you've created a great theme and it's getting some nice feedback, so you should give it a proper name ;)

So the question is, what is the name of this theme? "Flash Blue" maybe?

I had totally forgotten about the topic title ;)

All changed now.. Thanks for pointing it out (doesnt really work now that you changed yours :lol: )

I was calling it simply "Bluebox", Black, blue and white used to be a bit of a favourite on the c64 for the 3 colours used in sprites and backgrounds (well, i used to use them - Warhawk has several levels in that scheme).

Cheers mate.

-------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Had a few thoughts on the theme that I would REALLY like some feedback on. The images posted here use artwork behind the main rom lists. I can't make my mind up one way or the other if they are nice enough to use or overkill?

Anyway - they can easily be removed, but feedback would be nice before I go and do the same to others. I know you may say that it is personal preference, but I would like this theme to appeal to as many as possible before I go to the work of creating a 640x480 version (ulp!)

Thanks to all who have shown an interest.

post-3753-1221598540_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221598558_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221598567_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221598577_thumb.jpg

post-3753-1221598587_thumb.jpg

Just curious about other resolutions. This one is obviously wide screen which looks great! I would say most people are running 4:3 at 640x480 (TV and low or medium resolution arcade monitor) or 800x600 (high resolution arcade monitor). When this scales, how does it do that so that it doesn't break things badly? Or, if you have to do it prior to release and assuming you will be releasing a non-wide screen version, will you make sure things aren't screwy? If not, will you release the psd files so that they can be edited correctly? No pressure, I'm just curious since this is looking so good I'll be jealous if I can't use it. :blink: