All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

List of GameEx keyboard control mappings?

Oferphuxake

Just got my registered GameEx yesterday. Now for the noob questions. Yes, I searched the forum, looked through the faq and helpfiles and such first. :)

Am I missing a list somewhere that reveals all default keyboard controls for GameEx?

To be more specific, I'm using GameEx as an HTPC frontend (and for emulation), and am controlling it with a remote. I'd like to map volume +/- to the volume +/- keys, pgup/pgdn to the channel +/- keys, etc. etc. but I need keyboard equivalents for all supported commands.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here ya go :)

Thank you for your reply!

I apologize; I should have been more clear as to why I specifically mentioned my desire to map pgup/pgdn to the remote's channel keys and vol+/vol- to the remote's volume keys. See, my setup is an HTPC.

Here's my concern. I have dedicated vol+ and vol- keys, and chup / chdn keys, on my remote. The setup wizard reveals... one key for volume and one key for paging. Opening custominput.ini for a different explanation reveals something that - if I'm interpreting it correctly - troubles me.

See attachment.

I'm guessing this means that one must hold down a button to "shift" the "up" and "down" functions to either "vol+" / "vol-" or "pgup" / "pgdn"

:blink:

I can see this behavior being useful for those who are using a "low-key" (pun intended! :) ) input method. If I were exclusively using a control more primitive than, say, the original PSX controller, this would be perfect!

But I'm using one of these to control GameEx: photo10a.jpg

Not one of these: misc2600controller.jpg

Please tell me there's a dedicated pgup, pgdn, vol+, vol- and that it's simply undocumented? Please?

Otherwise, I won't be able to control volume by using a remote... with... volume buttons on it. :(

post-4678-1216838644_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your reply!

I apologize; I should have been more clear as to why I specifically mentioned my desire to map pgup/pgdn to the remote's channel keys and vol+/vol- to the remote's volume keys. See, my setup is an HTPC.

Here's my concern. I have dedicated vol+ and vol- keys, and chup / chdn keys, on my remote. The setup wizard reveals... one key for volume and one key for paging. Opening custominput.ini for a different explanation reveals something that - if I'm interpreting it correctly - troubles me.

See attachment.

I'm guessing this means that one must hold down a button to "shift" the "up" and "down" functions to either "vol+" / "vol-" or "pgup" / "pgdn"

:blink:

I can see this behavior being useful for those who are using a "low-key" (pun intended! :) ) input method. If I were exclusively using a control more primitive than, say, the original PSX controller, this would be perfect!

But I'm using one of these to control GameEx: photo10a.jpg

Not one of these: misc2600controller.jpg

Please tell me there's a dedicated pgup, pgdn, vol+, vol- and that it's simply undocumented? Please?

Otherwise, I won't be able to control volume by using a remote... with... volume buttons on it. :(

See my post for the "Default controls" assuming custom controls mode is not set the regular page up/page down and regular volume control key codes will work. So really your remote should work out of the box, assuming channel up/down on your remote do send page up and down, you should not need to change a thing.

See my post for the "Default controls" assuming custom controls mode is not set the regular page up/page down and regular volume control key codes will work. So really your remote should work out of the box, assuming channel up/down on your remote do send page up and down, you should not need to change a thing.

Whoops! Sorry; your reply came after I started typing mine. That's indeed what I was looking for!

Any plans for full keyboard support of all functions? Several are listed N/A.

Thanks!!

Dude...

That is by far the funniest post I have ever read. I love the pics to make everything clear! I was already LMAO when I hit "back" on my browser, and about then I deciphered your user name.... now I have tears in my eyes! :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

Dude...

That is by far the funniest post I have ever read.

Thanks! "More flies with funny..." I always say. Please forgive the pun...

I'm still working on mapping the functions. The functions to which Mr. Speirs led me aren't configurable (at least, not that I know?), which is unfortunate because several of the functions are listed as N/A - for the keyboard (!)... and because FireFly uses SendKeys, and SendKeys apparently doesn't do numpad #'s (vs "just numbers").

No biggie, though IMO it's something that should be addressed in the future, at least if "making GameEx HTPC-friendly" is an aim. No sweat - I still have Beyond TV / Beyond Media for video and music playback, and PowerDVD for DVD playback.

Guests at my house already need a manual to figure out my entertainment center anyways. :lol:

I love the pics to make everything clear!

:lol: I almost didn't do that, fearing that I might make the "sarcastic a**hole" impression my first! Well, I am a sarcastic a**hole, but everyone is supposed to find it funny!

I was already LMAO when I hit "back" on my browser, and about then I deciphered your user name....

I can't tell you how many times I pronounce my own username in daily life... ;)

now I have tears in my eyes! Welcome to the forum!

Excellent! Thanks!!!

What particular keys are you talking about that are N/A?I know Play/Pause is marked is N/A but if your remote can send this key it will work, and Im not aware of any numpad keys that are default controls. Only the directional keys, but you can also use the arrow keys.

• 3 weeks later...
What particular keys are you talking about that are N/A?I know Play/Pause is marked is N/A but if your remote can send this key it will work, and Im not aware of any numpad keys that are default controls. Only the directional keys, but you can also use the arrow keys.

Thanks for your reply. On that note, it'd be nice if Play and Pause were separate keys, since they are on a remote.

To answer your question, though, these are the keys (on the page to which you directed me, that somehow I didn't find on my own :( ) for which the "keyboard" column is marked "N/A:"

Music Seek Forward

Music Seek Backward

Fast Forward DVD/VIDEO

Rewind DVD/Video

DVD/Music/ Video Stop

DVD/Music/ Video Play

Thanks again for your assistance!

Although play and pause are two keys on most remotes, when you have media paused on a lot of systems, the pause and play button do the same thing and just resume playing. Some systems do the same with the play button as well. I personally like the capability to use discrete commands for scripting if nothing else, but I don't see it as a huge drawback in this case. Good suggestion though.

Although play and pause are two keys on most remotes, when you have media paused on a lot of systems, the pause and play button do the same thing and just resume playing. Some systems do the same with the play button as well. I personally like the capability to use discrete commands for scripting if nothing else, but I don't see it as a huge drawback in this case. Good suggestion though.

Thanks for your reply.

All the remotes I've ever owned that control media playback - from the VCR to the Laser-Disc, the various CD players, and from the DVD player to the Blu-ray, have had separate play and pause buttons which control separate and distinct play and pause functions. (EDIT: Correction; the PS3 remote's "pause" function does act as a toggle so long as playback is started (DVD / Blu-Ray). However, play is still play, and pause toggles playback, once started, between a play/pause state.) Switching from "the way it's been for a quarter of a century" to something else takes some learning... which must be unlearned when I go back to controlling any other playback device.

Also, sometimes either the PC's receiver does not receive the remote's command -- or the program being controlled does not respond immediately, leading the human controller to assume the former. Said controller may then resort to pressing the button many times in order to ensure that the command was received, which, in a "play/pause toggle" scenario, results in undesired operation.

Ultimately, I'd say the "play/pause toggle" control is a drawback for any but a "robotic" controller which lacks the capability to discern, for whatever reason, whether or not media is in a "play" or "pause" state.

Regardless, having separate PLAY and PAUSE functions does not preclude the possibility of maintaining a "play/pause toggle" function. Winamp's global hotkeys allow for all three. [shrug]

Certainly not at the top of the list as far as priority is concerned, but I would really like to see GameEx become more "HTPC-friendly," and this is one of many small steps along that path.

Tivo remotes have pause buttons and when you are paused, if you hit play then it will play, but pressing pause again will do the same. Also with XBMC if you press play it will pause and play. Anyway, just a couple counter examples. Like I said though, I like the option for dedicated buttons!

Tivo remotes have pause buttons and when you are paused, if you hit play then it will play, but pressing pause again will do the same.

Thanks for your reply.

Unless I'm missing something, GameEx *only* has a play / pause toggle, rather than a dedicated play, and play/pause toggle like the TiVo / PS3 remotes. That would be a slight improvement. It's a limitation, be it a tiny one.

In any case, we still need keyboard equivalents of the following:

Music Seek Forward

Music Seek Backward

Fast Forward DVD/VIDEO

Rewind DVD/Video

DVD/Music/ Video Stop

DVD/Music/ Video Play

I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I have an HTPC; further, one which uses neither MCE nor the MCE remote. I think in the spirit of DIY - and GameEx is *definitely* something for do-it-yourselfers! - the compatibility should be widened.

If I were a programmer, I'd simply donate all the features I wanted. :) Unfortunately in this case, my area of expertise lies in technical writing, and I'm no, no, nowhere NEAR guide-writing capacity for any aspect of this program. Someday! :)

Thanks again for your replies; I'm very happy / relieved that folks here are so helpful!