All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

The GameEx Database Project

greatflash: No problem doing an update to the databases as the version numbers will help me keep track of things.

Tom: Thanks for the update it's really appreciated!

I was thinking now that Tom has changed GameEx so that it will try NoIntro->GoodName->TOSEC to find a game match, perhaps I should change GameEx DBM to only write a name to the mdb if it's different from the last one? That should save some storage in the mdb's what do you think?

greatflash: No problem doing an update to the databases as the version numbers will help me keep track of things.

Tom: Thanks for the update it's really appreciated!

I was thinking now that Tom has changed GameEx so that it will try NoIntro->GoodName->TOSEC to find a game match, perhaps I should change GameEx DBM to only write a name to the mdb if it's different from the last one? That should save some storage in the mdb's what do you think?

That sounds like a good idea.

Any chance of getting the editor to auto-correct the dates it polls. sometimes it get 9th june 1992, june 1992, 9/06/1996, etc..

got to update mine is the saturn one as they are in english format.

Ps. cant do the spectrum db at the moment for the same reason as the c64 one - TOO many matches if brackets are totally ignored.. :(

Any chance of getting the editor to auto-correct the dates it polls. sometimes it get 9th june 1992, june 1992, 9/06/1996, etc..

It doesn't matter what format they are stored in the xml's as when you convert them to mdb's it converts them to the Access date format.

BTW I found this collection of No-Intro Screenshot packs which should be good to make sure they are matching okay for No-Intro dats in the databases.

It doesn't matter what format they are stored in the xml's as when you convert them to mdb's it converts them to the Access date format.

BTW I found this collection of No-Intro Screenshot packs which should be good to make sure they are matching okay for No-Intro dats in the databases.

Ok! thanks anyway. I just have to swap the month and days round. no probs

Just another update for the Saturn DB,

All dates have been corrected to MM/DD/YYYY format. Some descriptions have been edited/extended. Japanese Shooters (mainly) have been added (in part). Game list now up to 524 titles.

HK: [Console] Sega Saturn v1.096 (Flash) *Received*

Had a little bit of spare time so done a PC Engine FX db.

There are only 22 games listed at the moment (not that there are many anyway - 70 or so), but the db contains some of the BEST fx releases. Still, 22 is still 15 smile.gif

This had no dats to work from so the naming is spread across all 3 naming columns in the hope of catching most naming conventions (torrent name checked those present).

And, I know that this one is not on my list of db jobs, but hey smile.gif

HK: [Console] NEC PC FX v1.007 (Flash) *Received*

GameEx DBM Version 1.28 Released

- Now you can select multiple games in the gamelist to delete

- Copy and paste added to game editor

- Various other tweaks and fixes

Well done clever clogs.. :)

Updated saturn (AGAIN)

HK: [Console] Sega Saturn v1.105 (Flash) *Received*

GameEx DBM Version 1.29 Released

- Had to do some pretty major changes to allow for multiple games with the same name (needed for C64 database)

Please report back any problem with this version. There is a good chance I've introduced some bugs in this one.

Flash: Cheers mate, and I have something for you :) Yes I've converted the GameBase 64 database to our xml format (20,000 games!). I'll PM you with a download link a few minutes.

Just a note while working on the Dreamcast DB,

A warning to all, TOSEC is a terrible dat system..

The amount of errors in the Saturn Tosec is silly, not just years that are out, double entries (Freestyle Scooter & Razor Freestyle Scooter), also games that are nothing (Capcom Vs. SNK - there was not a game called just that? - though it contains them all?)..

Oh well, just grumbling... :)

Sorry, there has never been a game called 'capcom vs. snk' - I told you I'm a perfectionist :)

TOSEC lists

Capcom Vs. SNK (2000)

Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000 Pro (2000)

Capcom Vs. SNK 2 - Milionaire Fighting 2001 (2001)

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNK_vs._Capcom_(series)

This is the game you linked to:

http://www.snk-capcom.com/reviews/capcom/Naomi/cvs.htm

So, Capcom Vs. SNK (2000) must really link to Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000

Ha!

It checks for a match in the following order: NoIntro, GoodName, Tosec. Seeing as the databases are missing a lot of games currently I dont foresee any problems.

Somehow there is a problem with how the matching works. If the goodname does not match the filename of the rom - no match is found. The roms I am using are in TOSEC format (Saturn) and if the TOSEC is the same as the Goodname (No-intro appears to make no difference) then a match is found. If Goodname does not match the TOSEC (that is the same as the filename) then the match is rejected even it the TOSEC matches the filename.

Also - a strange one this... I have a db for the saturn (still being updated along with a Dreamcast one) and 5 from the bottom of the list is a game called "Virtual Hyldide" in all three naming fields (exactly the same - and this works everywhere else?), I also have the rom named "Virtual Hyldide (J).7z" that perfectly matches the db entries (have copied & Pasted till my fingers bled) and no-matter what I do, I cannot get it to match.. Perhaps this is related.

Just re-checked and there are 2 entries that are perfect matches to the rom and neither tie up with the DB? Don't know what other infomation to give?

I posted here as I thought it was better than the original GameEx release thread.

Hold on - did you do anything in the 9.41 release. Still using 9.40 as I though the latest was only for LCD plugin?

Somehow there is a problem with how the matching works. If the goodname does not match the filename of the rom - no match is found. The roms I am using are in TOSEC format (Saturn) and if the TOSEC is the same as the Goodname (No-intro appears to make no difference) then a match is found. If Goodname does not match the TOSEC (that is the same as the filename) then the match is rejected even it the TOSEC matches the filename.

Also - a strange one this... I have a db for the saturn (still being updated along with a Dreamcast one) and 5 from the bottom of the list is a game called "Virtual Hyldide" in all three naming fields (exactly the same - and this works everywhere else?), I also have the rom named "Virtual Hyldide (J).7z" that perfectly matches the db entries (have copied & Pasted till my fingers bled) and no-matter what I do, I cannot get it to match.. Perhaps this is related.

Just re-checked and there are 2 entries that are perfect matches to the rom and neither tie up with the DB? Don't know what other infomation to give?

I posted here as I thought it was better than the original GameEx release thread.

Hold on - did you do anything in the 9.41 release. Still using 9.40 as I though the latest was only for LCD plugin?

I have just found a bug, which would make things a little screwy. Ill try to get a new release out shortly.

EDIT: Please try 9.42

I have just found a bug, which would make things a little screwy. Ill try to get a new release out shortly.

EDIT: Please try 9.42

It appears to work a treat now. Just had a quick check and all is present and correct. Thanks again Tom...

Off to bed now (2.40am) ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

You sure about TOSEC being wrong? I've heard that they are some of the best sources available for some stuff. For example, apparently they use the game's release date from either the MFG, SEGA, or the game disc itself. I haven't done a lot of review, but the game names are different depending on the market they are released into, so while in the US it may be callled "Capcom vs. SNK", it may be "Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000 Pro" or "Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000" in other markets yet be the exact same game.

You sure about TOSEC being wrong? I've heard that they are some of the best sources available for some stuff. For example, apparently they use the game's release date from either the MFG, SEGA, or the game disc itself. I haven't done a lot of review, but the game names are different depending on the market they are released into, so while in the US it may be callled "Capcom vs. SNK", it may be "Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000 Pro" or "Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000" in other markets yet be the exact same game.

It is not pro, pro is listed in TOSEC, Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000 is not. This is the same name in all 3 releases. so, I believe that the tosec name refers to Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000. Even on the video you posted, you will see the subtext of the title.

I was only having a grumble about the Saturn toesc in general. It is not well maintained and contains spelling mistakes on jap names, missing data, and duplicated roms (razor freestyle being a good example). Oh, and it also misses absolutely hundreds of games... Ohhh 3-4 hundred are not present that I know of.

Perhaps the TOSEC was abandoned when it was realised that almost EVERY iso rip is different (from original rip - corrupt audio, converted from one format to another, re-injected mp3 audio, missing cd audo, etc) as to make it pointless to try to keep it up to date?

Who knows?

All I want to do is make sure the DB's I create are as perfect as possible. This is also a good example of how nice it will be when Tom allows GameEx's rom list to display the generic name field from the DB. This way "Capcom Vs SNK" would be displayed correctly as "Capcom Vs. SNK - Millennium Fight 2000" without having to rename a tosec set. This would also alow characters that cannot be used in a windows filename to be used. Quotes, \ : etc...

Just wondering if any volunteers have some status updates on the databases their working on?

Flash: What's the status of the Sega Saturn one? Is v1.105 final for now or you got more updates coming? I'd rather you post it when it's "complete" so don't worry about uploading if your still working on it. How that C64 one? I think it could be trimmed down alot, 20,000 games is probably overkill. Perhaps we should do a "No-Intro" trimmed release as well?

Brian: I noticed your dedicating alot of your time to HyperSpin lately which is not a problem but do you want me to assign your databases to someone else? Your going to have even less time when it's actually released. Don't worry I don't think your a "traitor" or anything :P, just need to keep the databases organised is all :)

Tempest: Given up already? :D

PimpDaddyStu, bkenobi, shaunopp and Stub: ??

The GameEx DBM program is at a stage where I think were happy with and should do enough to help producing databases as easy as possible. But it does have some functions that may be a bit confusing. If you need help with the program just ask, perhaps we should do a tutorial or something. Maybe I can convince Flash to make one *duck*

Just wondering if any volunteers have some status updates on the databases their working on?

Insert cricket chirping sound.... :lol:

I downloaded the app and it looks straightforward. What's left for DB's that need working on? Let me know or assign me one and I'll get going.

I downloaded the app and it looks straightforward. What's left for DB's that need working on? Let me know or assign me one and I'll get going.

The first post shows what databases are currently assigned to who, so feel free to pick one. I'm not sure if Brian is going to be doing the ones he's assigned to or not as he's been a bit busy lately, but he might end up doing them I'm not sure, I guess he'll let us know when he reads this thread.

Flash: What's the status of the Sega Saturn one? Is v1.105 final for now or you got more updates coming? I'd rather you post it when it's "complete" so don't worry about uploading if your still working on it. How that C64 one? I think it could be trimmed down alot, 20,000 games is probably overkill. Perhaps we should do a "No-Intro" trimmed release as well?

Brian: I noticed your dedicating alot of your time to HyperSpin lately which is not a problem but do you want me to assign your databases to someone else? Your going to have even less time when it's actually released. Don't worry I don't think your a "traitor" or anything :P, just need to keep the databases organised is all :)

Tempest: Given up already? :D

PimpDaddyStu, bkenobi, shaunopp and Stub: ??

The GameEx DBM program is at a stage where I think were happy with and should do enough to help producing databases as easy as possible. But it does have some functions that may be a bit confusing. If you need help with the program just ask, perhaps we should do a tutorial or something. Maybe I can convince Flash to make one *duck*

The Saturn DB has improved greatly since my latest post to you. As it stands there are nearly 660 items listed and I will post again when happy with it. It should not be too long - I am spending a lot of time checking spelling on the Jap releases (you would be suprised how many there are) and adding other spellings to the empty fields. Even TOSEC has things wrong and (I have stated this before) all the correct spellings are placed in the GameEx name field (lets hope Tom gives us a chance to use them - as an option, as it is really needed).

The Dreamcast DB is flying along and is at the arse-end of the letter R, covering all USA and Euro releases and several Jap (English playable). I hope to have this one finished also fairly soon.

Both the Intellivison and the Colecovision DB's are also being worked on. They will include ALL releases and prototypes. I will post when done.

The PC-FX one really needs extending, but I will leave that untill the major ones are done.

Right... The C64 one will be done and contain all games that are worthy of a description. The thought is to include all games, add the year (when known), the Publisher (or 'PD' if so), and a description when needed. If the game is a type-in basic program or like, then the description will be left blank. (i will add all them at a later date). But the C64 and Spectrum are last on my list. My thoughts are that we have lived without them so far, a few more months will not hurt. :)

Headkaze: PS. Written an application to use data from facebook. It is a start on my road to c# :) Not looking too bad at the moment.

Brian is a traitor :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Latest update of the Saturn collection.

Now contains 654 games and is complete for now.

HK - please give it one final check for me, there is no easy way to spell check, but all should be ok??

Cheers.

Time to finish that dreamcast one.... (GOD!)

HK: "[Console] Sega Saturn v1.181 (Flash).zip" received

Thanks Flash. I wonder who are these 4 people downloading the database before me are? To whomever is doing that this data is in xml format so it can't be used in GameEx and the data is also copyright so you can't use it for anything else.

Ok if this is final then I'll be converting it to mdb and sending it to Tom. I'll let you know if I find any errors. Also can you keep checking the categories are coming out okay. If you find a problem with them let me know, I'll show you the algorithm I'm using to "guess" the categories from the other columns and maybe you can help me improve it. I don't think I even have any calculations for "Traditional" category. Perhaps you could just check it over for me anyway? I'll PM you now.