All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

The GameEx Database Project

Okay volunteer's check your PM's this project has officially started!

greatflash has already PM'ed me with the databases he intends to work on, so here they are:

greatflash - Sinclair ZX-81, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Acorn BBC Micro, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, and MGT Sam Coupe.

Okay volunteer's check your PM's this project has officially started!

greatflash has already PM'ed me with the databases he intends to work on, so here they are:

greatflash - Sinclair ZX-81, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Acorn BBC Micro, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, and MGT Sam Coupe.

Already playing with the Database Manager - What a wonderful piece of software. Having a lot of fun and you have made it a JOY to use..

Will keep you posted!

What a lot of work you have done, and in a masochistic manner - what a lot of work you have created :) :) :)

Still having lots of fun..

Playing with BBC. Doing it manually. So far 557 games added (without descriptions).

After a little play, can I be so bold (and humble to expect a reply smile.gif ) to offer just a little suggestion(s)?

1) is there anyway you can allow sorting by heading. As I am adding games manually, it would be nice to sort the Publisher heading ascending to allow me to easily check that all publishers are entered correctly (ie. Inc & Incorporated, Co. & Company, Spelling missedcakes, etc)

2) is there a way to enable an instant search. Ie. so, after entering a game title - i could click search and have Google (or whatever) open up in a browser window to search for SYSTEM+TITLE. This would help speed things up a bit..

3) Can I have a softer cushion?

4) After entering a new Game, could there be a way to click NEXT on the box to go straight to entering a new game. so i can just go game, click, game, click, etc smile.gif

Yes, I told you (Headkaze) it would be trouble to get me on the team <snigger>. You should try living with me - ask the wife!

Edit - There is no 'Traditional' genre. what do I use for cards, darts, dominoes, pinball, etc?

I'm glad it's working okay for you greatflash. I really liked your suggestions so I've just added them into Version 1.2 :)

Version 1.2 Released

- Added game list sorting by clicking on the headers

- Added Search button to search Google for system + title

- Added softer cushion algorithm (should relieve buttock soreness by 50%)

- Adding game will now loop until cancel is selected

- Added "Traditional" genre

I'm glad it's working okay for you greatflash. I really liked your suggestions so I've just added them into Version 1.2 :)

Version 1.2 Released

Ill upgrade now :)

Version 1.2 Released

As always Headkaze, great work!

Upgraded and will continue work on the BBC set later today (up to 1841 now)

I'll take a look at all of the Atari stuff...I will post back if I can't figure it out. :blink:

I haven't even started yet, and I'm pretty sure I'll have problems with the "softer cushion algorithm". I don't think it fits my existing profile! ;)

It might be nice if the list at the top of the post was edited as things are spoken for, so it will be a "To Do" list...

I'll take a look at all of the Atari stuff...I will post back if I can't figure it out. :blink:

I know I said I would work on the Atari stuff...

I went ahead and did Fairchild instead, because it was smaller, and I would like to have someone verify that I am doing this correctly before I press on. I think I did steps 4a-4d correctly for all databases, but I'm not sure how much info to add in 4e.

If someone would take a look and say "So far so good, but as an example in the game Tennis you should add blah blah blah to the whatever field", I would appreciate it.

Or you can just tell me Ive screwed the whole thing up in a Tempestuous manner... :(

_Console__Fairchild_Channel_F_v1.000__Tempest_.zip

Tempest: The file you sent is just the original file. Unedited. Did you forget to press the save button before upload? Did I forget to mention that in the ReadMe? Oops yes I did I will have to remember than in the next release.

greatflash PMed with with a really important point. If your going to test the mdb's in GameEx currently it still only works for GoodTool lists. I e-mailed Tom about adding support for NoIntro and TOSEC so we can actually start testing those fields. Stay tuned on that.

I will also be doing another update soon so that when you double click a game to edit it, then press "OK" it will go to the next game in the list to edit until you press "Cancel" the reason for this is so you can edit games in bulk. And now with the sorting feature added I think this will help alot.

Version 1.21 Released

- Double clicking a game in the GameList and pressing OK will now take you to the next game in the list to edit.

Well done on another fine update.

Just an idea.. can you do updates to contain only the updated code. Bit concerned that someone will extract the archive and overight. The update contains XML dir that would kill someones work (wouldnt it?)

It is bound to happen :(

Version 1.22 Released

- Added an "OK + Next" button which I think works better than my previous update which always jumped to the next record when you pressed OK. This time you can edit a single record by clicking OK and "OK + Next" will jump to the next record.

- Added an option for greatflash called "Jump to Missing Data". When you press the "OK + Next" button by default it will go to the next record. I think this will work fine for filling in missing data when used with the column sorting. If you enable "Jump to Missing Data" it will jump to the next record that has missing data rather than just the next record. It's up to you which one you use.

- Pressing the "Get" button will no longer wipe out any custom entered data.

I sent everyone a PM for how to download the exe only so you don't need to download the whole archive each time there is an update.

Big thanks to greatflash for all the feedback and ideas on how to improve this program :)

I've heard Tempest say that in the past and see what he's produced............. :P

I'm not sure what that means... :(

HK,

I did the Fairchild again...The save button always gets me, I'm the one who requested the reminder in CPWizard if you remember.

I think I get the get/fix, make up a name part OK. When I click on get numplayers, and get category, I don't see anything happening.

When I did all those map files for Guy, I didn't even know what a map file was for :blink: , but I did them. I learn best by watching, but unfortunatly, there's nobody here to show me. If it's more trouble than it's worth to walk me through this, I'll understand, I just don't want to waste alot of your time, or mine....

I did manage to generate this error along the way, but please don't ask me how...

6/29/2008 9:32:45 AM: GameEx Database Manager v1.22
6/29/2008 9:32:45 AM: Reading Config
6/29/2008 9:32:45 AM: Reading Config
6/29/2008 9:50:22 AM: ERROR @ PopulateGameList (frmMain)
6/29/2008 9:50:22 AM: Failed to compare two elements in the array.
6/29/2008 9:50:22 AM: at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`1.SwapIfGreaterWithItems[TValue](T[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 a, Int32 b)
at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`1.QuickSort[TValue](T[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 left, Int32 right)
at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`1.Sort[TValue](T[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Array.Sort[T](T[] array, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Sort(Int32 index, Int32 count, IComparer`1 comparer)
at GameExDBM.frmMain.PopulateGameList(SortModeType SortMode)

_Console__Fairchild_Channel_F_v1.007__Tempest_.zip

Just an attempt at some light ribbing. Apparently I'm not as good with it as you are, so ignore the comment. :ph34r:

Tempest didnt get it - ha ha..

Oy - stop ribbing Tempest. that is very naughty :( Bad Bad Bkenobi!

<snigger>

I'm not sure what that means... sad.gif

HK,

I did the Fairchild again...The save button always gets me, I'm the one who requested the reminder in CPWizard if you remember.

I think I get the get/fix, make up a name part OK. When I click on get numplayers, and get category, I don't see anything happening.

When I did all those map files for Guy, I didn't even know what a map file was for blink.gif , but I did them. I learn best by watching, but unfortunatly, there's nobody here to show me. If it's more trouble than it's worth to walk me through this, I'll understand, I just don't want to waste alot of your time, or mine....

I did manage to generate this error along the way, but please don't ask me how...

6/29/2008 9:32:45 AM: GameEx Database Manager v1.226/29/2008 9:32:45 AM: Reading Config6/29/2008 9:32:45 AM: Reading Config6/29/2008 9:50:22 AM: ERROR @ PopulateGameList (frmMain)6/29/2008 9:50:22 AM: Failed to compare two elements in the array.6/29/2008 9:50:22 AM: at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`1.SwapIfGreaterWithItems[TValue](T[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 a, Int32 b)at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`1.QuickSort[TValue](T[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 left, Int32 right)at System.Collections.Generic.GenericArraySortHelper`1.Sort[TValue](T[] keys, TValue[] values, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)at System.Array.Sort[T](T[] array, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Sort(Int32 index, Int32 count, IComparer`1 comparer)at GameExDBM.frmMain.PopulateGameList(SortModeType SortMode)

Oh tempest... what are we gonna do with you heh?

For some reason I can only get it to fill the cat but not number of players?

You will have to do a bit more work to fill the rest of the data!

http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&platform=34 - will help with the years of release

http://www.gamestats.com/index/platform/fc....sort.order=asc

http://www.vglist.com/fairchild.shtml

This may help a bit. Game description may have to involve you also playing them!

Sorry! smile.gif

I think i missed an opportunity there:-

HOW?

<snigger+1>

Version 1.23 Released

- Fixed bug with "OK + Next" button not working

Sorry about that, download the ExeOnly package again to fix the annoying bug that slipped through last release.

Tempest: That database you uploaded is incomplete. Also if a dat file doesn't have the game listed I think it's best we either leave it blank or use a fake name instead. We definately don't want the wrong game name listed.

Some examples:

The game Hockey, you have under TOSEC as "Hockey & Tennis" but there is another game called that which is already in the TOSEC game column. Same thing with "Tetris by Peter Trauner" for TOSEC, which you have as "Tetris" but there is already a game called Tetris. I would either generate a fake name (using the "?" button) or just leave it blank.

It's very confusing I know, you should try and explain some of this stuff! lol. I think you will get it after playing around for a while. Just keep trying to get the Channel F database done right and I'm sure you will figure it out soon enough.

So to re-iterate, when you first start GameEx DBM all the data that's already there. Our goals are to 1. Fill in the GoodTool/NoIntro/TOSEC names by using "Get" (if they have a dat file for it), then fixing the missed or incorrect matches 2. Use "Get Category" to generate a category 3. If we decide to use the "Add Missing" then we should be prepared to scour the web to fill in the rest of the missing data 4. Fill in missing data manually

Just a note for others entering data..

Firstly:

GameEx has a strange but that occurs when displaying the information from the Description field. Any text that contains a '&' is terminated before the symbol. I am currently working on the BBC list and have come across the wonderful and GameEx unfriendly A&F Software, as will peoples working on Spectrum, C64, MSX, Amstrad, Atari 8bit, Atari ST, Amiga, and IBM PC. I don't know what to suggest? I loave the idea of using 'A and F software' as a substitute. I personally will leave it as is, in the hope that Tom will modify the way DB's are read and cached.

Example of Problem:-

A&F Software's Chuckie Egg is a home computer video game released in 1983................

Becomes

A

Also, line spaces are not formatted into the GameEx display. I will continue to put paragraph breaks into the decriptions. Perhaps this could also be fixed?

PS. Hoping to have BBC finished by Friday :)

Just a note for others entering data..

Firstly:

GameEx has a strange but that occurs when displaying the information from the Description field. Any text that contains a '&' is terminated before the symbol. I am currently working on the BBC list and have come across the wonderful and GameEx unfriendly A&F Software, as will peoples working on Spectrum, C64, MSX, Amstrad, Atari 8bit, Atari ST, Amiga, and IBM PC. I don't know what to suggest? I loave the idea of using 'A and F software' as a substitute. I personally will leave it as is, in the hope that Tom will modify the way DB's are read and cached.

Example of Problem:-

A&F Software's Chuckie Egg is a home computer video game released in 1983................

Becomes

A

Also, line spaces are not formatted into the GameEx display. I will continue to put paragraph breaks into the decriptions. Perhaps this could also be fixed?

PS. Hoping to have BBC finished by Friday :)

Ill look into it.

Cheers.

greatflash: Please leave in the & symbols and paragraph breaks in the descriptions. Either Tom will fix this in GameEx, or I will fix them when you create the mdb using GameEx DBM. But it's definately best to keep them in the databases so we have the original data.

EDIT: Oops Tom posted, so there we go :)