All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Convert Dreamcast image format

shaunopp

Anyone with experience making self bootable .cdi images from an original DC disk or converting BIN/CUE file to self bootable .cdi's?

Utilities like bin2boot and bin2boot_gui are supposed to work for the latter but didn't for me. Haven't been able to successfully turn any of my other Dreamcast discs into bootable .cdi's either.

Anyone with experience making self bootable .cdi images from an original DC disk or converting BIN/CUE file to self bootable .cdi's?

Utilities like bin2boot and bin2boot_gui are supposed to work for the latter but didn't for me. Haven't been able to successfully turn any of my other Dreamcast discs into bootable .cdi's either.

I used Ultraiso to convert several cue/bin dreamcast images to .img, they all worked.I opened the files in UltraIso and then re-saved them. I did not use the inbuilt convertor.

I used Ultraiso to convert several cue/bin dreamcast images to .img, they all worked.I opened the files in UltraIso and then re-saved them. I did not use the inbuilt convertor.

I don't think an .img file will do me any good with nulldc. I haven't been able to get anything to work but a couple .cdi files that I already had. I've tried creating new .cdi images from an original disk with Diskjuggler but no luck with that either, null dc just sits on the music screen and hangs.

you cannot create a image from a origanl DC disk unless you use a Serial device from the DC or a Network card (this is the quickest way) . I still have my seial connector and my Nic for the Dc and havent done it in a long time. if you need to make a Bootable image then you will need to doctor the image with some utils and ive forgotten there names.

Allso dont forget a DC disk is not a CD it is a GD rom and can hold upto 1 Gb of info, The max a CD can hold is up to 900 Mbs with the special extended CDs.

Normaly you can only get 850 mb on a normal cd if your lucky. Most of the time you have to reduce the size of the video and sound so it will fit.

If your dumping your own roms they will be in GDI format. As this is the original format... Some people strip out data to make them fit on CDR.

NullDC supports GDI images so my next thought is you want to make some of your other images bootable.. Im not sure why the other methods you have tried failed. But this thread may be entering the realm of piracy.

How are you dumping your games? Perhaps we can help you there... As mentioned above you cannot just stick your cd in the pc and make an ISO.

Read more here

http://dumpcast.thekickback.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153

There are a number of guides that use DiscJuggler to add self boot capability. I haven't modified a DC image in a LONG time, but I know it is possible to convert a non-selfboot cdi image to a selfboot cdi. I don't know about bin/cue though.

So, here's the full scoop. There's a small shop by my house that sells old Dreamcast games cheap. I stumbled upon Soul Calibur and a couple other games I thought would be good in a cab for a couple bucks and I figured I'd grab'em and use with nulldc. I thought I could easily create self-booting .cdi's from them but apparently I missed the memo about that not working. :lol:

Since that wasn't working (and I legally own a copy anyway) I grabbed a couple files online, one in .cdi format and the other cue/bin. Cdi seems to work fine but not the cue/bin. I found utilites like bin2boot and bin2boot gui which are supposed to convert the cue/bin's to .cdi's but they didn't work. I also tried mounting the cue/bin file and and creating a .cdi from it but obviously that didn't work either. What I don't understand is that if the cue/bin files don't work, why are they so prevalent online?

I guess my solution is A.) Buy a legal version of the game. B.) Grab it's equivalent online but stick to self booting .cdi's.

So, here's the full scoop. There's a small shop by my house that sells old Dreamcast games cheap. I stumbled upon Soul Calibur and a couple other games I thought would be good in a cab for a couple bucks and I figured I'd grab'em and use with nulldc. I thought I could easily create self-booting .cdi's from them but apparently I missed the memo about that not working. :lol:

Since that wasn't working (and I legally own a copy anyway) I grabbed a couple files online, one in .cdi format and the other cue/bin. Cdi seems to work fine but not the cue/bin. I found utilites like bin2boot and bin2boot gui which are supposed to convert the cue/bin's to .cdi's but they didn't work. I also tried mounting the cue/bin file and and creating a .cdi from it but obviously that didn't work either. What I don't understand is that if the cue/bin files don't work, why are they so prevalent online?

I guess my solution is A.) Buy a legal version of the game. B.) Grab it's equivalent online but stick to self booting .cdi's.

Check out this link, I have not had time to try it yet, so please be my guinea pig and then let me know :) (arn't i a lazy boy?)

http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-discussion/...ork-nulldc.html

You have to register to download the files, but google will find them for you :)

found utilites like bin2boot and bin2boot gui which are supposed to convert the cue/bin's to .cdi's but they didn't work. I also tried mounting the cue/bin file and and creating a .cdi from it but obviously that didn't work either. What I don't understand is that if the cue/bin files don't work, why are they so prevalent online?

to convert from bin/cue just use bin2boot and it will give you a CDI image after simple and fast conversion. If you have any errors, post up what they are and I will try and find you an answer.

This is the method I did just tonight, good luck!

to convert from bin/cue just use bin2boot and it will give you a CDI image after simple and fast conversion. If you have any errors, post up what they are and I will try and find you an answer.

This is the method I did just tonight, good luck!

I posted about it last night and then decided to try it! Sadly it did not work on the 3 titles i tried. Perhaps it was because my images were already self-boot bins? It read the image ok, asked if i wanded to create and ip file and regardless of selection, exited imediatly?

Shaunop has also tried it to no avial..

What did you do? :huh: