All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Cant get over the fact Vista blows

Tom Speirs

I haven't had any blue screens with Vista yet (touch wood) but the thing that has annoyed me the most with Vista was getting my networked all shared again properly... oh and that bloody UAC but I've got it removed now thankfully

Stu

Im having the blue screening pleasure of installing Vista on a new pc (which should be easily up to the job (quad core etc)).. I was actually starting to forgot how much this software blows money cock.

LOL. Yeah! I wasn't much for it either. I reverted back to XP and in no hurry to go back to Vista.

Yeah Im looking at going to 64 xp soon for my dev machine. I really do need the extra ram, and I have 8 GB in the machine, 4 unused.

Anyway, turns out it wernt Vista, the hard disks seem a bit dodgy. there brand new too. Although they wernt packed very good. Oh what a pain in the ass. The whole idea is to replace my media center pc that reboots about 4 times a day but I cant even get the os on this new build.

Yeah Im looking at going to 64 xp soon for my dev machine. I really do need the extra ram, and I have 8 GB in the machine, 4 unused.

Anyway, turns out it wernt Vista, the hard disks seem a bit dodgy. there brand new too. Although they wernt packed very good. Oh what a pain in the ass. The whole idea is to replace my media center pc that reboots about 4 times a day but I cant even get the os on this new build.

Hehe So it was the HDD not Vista? Like blaming the dog when you fart! 8 GB holy mackerel! But I guess you will need all the RAM and CPU you can muster for running VS2008. I'm not sure if you've upgraded to it yet, I haven't. I'm glad we upgraded to .NET 2.0 and 2005 that day though, was definately worth the effort. I don't see .NET 3.0 being worthy of an upgrade for a while yet though.

Hehe So it was the HDD not Vista? Like blaming the dog when you fart! 8 GB holy mackerel! But I guess you will need all the RAM and CPU you can muster for running VS2008. I'm not sure if you've upgraded to it yet, I haven't. I'm glad we upgraded to .NET 2.0 and 2005 that day though, was definately worth the effort. I don't see .NET 3.0 being worthy of an upgrade for a while yet though.

I'm running VB2008 in work, haven't really noticed anything different, definitly nothing as big as when I went from VB6 to 2005 :) I do like the way 2008 starts predicting sooner than 2005 though but that's the only thing I've noticed. Also, everything I've wrote in 2008 has still worked perfectly on any machines that we have with just .NET 2.0 framework installed so there's been no need to run around mass installing .NET 3 everywhere.

Stu

Im having the blue screening pleasure of installing Vista on a new pc (which should be easily up to the job (quad core etc)).. I was actually starting to forgot how much this software blows money cock.

Blows money cock?

Must be that British humour thing again....

The closest I might come (no pun intended) is "Blows monkey cock."

I need an English to english babelfish! :P

And yes, I left myself wide open again....

Here's an idea, get yourself a really crappy internet connection like mine, and it will make Vista seem fast! :lol:

Blows money cock?

Must be that British humour thing again....

The closest I might come (no pun intended) is "Blows monkey cock."

I need an English to english babelfish! :P

And yes, I left myself wide open again....

Here's an idea, get yourself a really crappy internet connection like mine, and it will make Vista seem fast! :lol:

Yeah, thats what I meant, missed a key.

Anyway, all good after 5 hours finally got Vista installed. I slipstreamed service pack 1 with vlite. I then was getting a blue screen on install in a different place. After a few tries thought maybe the dvd didnt burn right so burned it again at 4X and it went on perfect. Im not sure if it was sp1 that did it or whether the new hard drives had to burn in for a bit. Does that happen? Anyway, its up, quick and hasnt crashed yet :)

well after i upgraded to this :

Intel Core2 Duo 6850 3ghz

Xpert Vision Nvidia G-Force 8800 GT 512mb

Corsair Dominator 4x1024 pc8500 DDR2-1066

Asus p5k Pro

2x 500 gb WD Sata2 hdd raid0

then I went for a dual boot Xp for compatibility and vista for directX 10 and other fun but i was honestly really suprised so smooth it all went and how many things there works in vista games and emulators ect ect...

and it wasent meant to sounds like a microsoft salesman :P

and i still uses XP mainly for emulation :)

I can't say I'm a Vista fan, either. It's not the enormous amount of system resources Vista hogs that bothers me, but rather the fact that every time I want to do something it nags me.

I click on FireFox and Vista says, "Are you sure you want to run this application? Yes or No". I click 'Yes'. Vista replies, "This is not a Microsoft product, running this program may harm your computer. Are you really sure you want to run this? Yes or No." I click 'YES'. Vista pops up again, "You know, if you used IE7 you wouldn't be getting these annoying messages. Do you want to use Microsoft's IE7 instead? Yes or Yes."

I exaggerate, but that's what the whole thing feels like.

That, and I'm so friggin' lost trying to find stuff in Vista. I'm a Win98 and XP baby, so when I want to change a setting in Vista I have to hunt for it.

That, and I'm so friggin' lost trying to find stuff in Vista. I'm a Win98 and XP baby, so when I want to change a setting in Vista I have to hunt for it.

I have to agree on that last statement. I think what it is its designed for idiots, so if you know what your doing it takes twice as long to do it.

Like Ive said before there should be an option on install "Im not an idiot please dont treat me like one. Check here". That would save a lot a tweaking everytime you install XP too. Although windows 2000 seemed to already detect this feature. lol

I have to agree on that last statement. I think what it is its designed for idiots, so if you know what your doing it takes twice as long to do it.

Like Ive said before there should be an option on install "Im not an idiot please dont treat me like one. Check here". That would save a lot a tweaking everytime you install XP too. Although windows 2000 seemed to already detect this feature. lol

Even idiots would click on a button like that, and then Vista wouldn't have all of the features that we need! :blink:

Just my two pennies,

I don't like XP 64 because not all my software would run on it neither would my printer. I had to hunt down specific drivers for it. XP 64 is temperamental. XP32 is cool. I prefer the 64 bit builds of Vista. But if you run anything but Ultimate it is a waste of time. The other builds are too stripped down to be enjoyable. I haven't had any problems with blue screening unless overclocking and voltages were off. I don't even have my computer overclocked anymore since buying the acutal boards for all Blitz games. Most of my computers are dual boot because my cd labeling software won't run in Vista. If it weren't for that XP would be left behind.

From my experience.. don't install vista on hardware that doesn't say it specifically supports vista. Also, don't do an upgrade install do a fresh new install.

After 6 months of pain followed by a new PC with an Intel motherboard, everything is running very nicely on vista.

I'm a software developer and have to run it for testing otherwise I probably would have just stayed with my old PC and XP.

Retail and OEM versions of XP will no longer be available after June 30th :blink: