All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Completed Feature Requests (Moved)

I'm wondering if there could be support for WMP vizualizations to display whilst playing a song from the Jukebox. A really awesome plugin is called G-Force which will create an infinity of entertaining patterns along with the music.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't remember if this has been requested, but how about "launch before", "also launch" etc that's available for emulators, but also for "External Applications"?

The new configuration app is fast and kick-ass btw.

Emph

Don't know if this has been requested but what about an option to filter Favorites by system too?

Right now it's able to filter by year, category, manuf, etc. it would be good to enter favorites and them look for your favorite games from each emulator.

I think it would be also great to completely separate Zinc from Mame. I would like to use a different rom path for Zinc.

Thanks so much and congrats for such a great front end!

Love that you seperated the emulators out, instead of one - five. Can you label the buttons with a hint of the emulator that they go with? Maybe put the exe name in (), or the description in () and (empty) or (blank) in ones with no emulator. You also could just put bubble help to show you a summary about what's behind the button when you hover over it. I always forget if pinball in 3 or 4.

Perhaps it's time to make GameEx support plugin's, that way people can add/remove the features they want. That is the problem with a feature rich application, for some it's just useless overhead. Although GameEx has great features that XP users dont have, people using MCE might feel the extra stuff is just unessesary (perhaps they just want a simple front-end to play Mame?).

Another benifit of plugins is that other authors can add features to GameEx. GameEx would be more modularized thus adding features, fixing bugs and maintaining code is much easier (ie. Bug in karaoke plugin -> fix karaoke plugin).

Things like GameExtender, Karaoke, Weather, Radio, TV, (etc. etc.) perhaps even multi-emulator support could all be made into their own plugins. Although I've never written plugins for a .NET application (I've written DLL plugins before just not in .NET), so I'm not sure how you would do it; there could still be a DLL solution for .NET.

What do you think Tom? If you want I could help you design the specifications for them and even help you document and create an SDK if you want.

I know I wouldn't mind writing a few plugin's for GameEx myself.

i like the idea HeadKaze im not a coder sadly but i can see the benefits in your idea and futher more it should/could take some work of Toms Hands as well

i myself love all the options/functions GameEx have (afcouse im not using them all) but it makes me feel i can do things the way i like afcouse there are still some limits but its still superior to alot of others Frontends out there :)

Tom, I really think we need to make the TITLETEXT not required. People are now getting into creating custom backgrounds and game system logos go in place of where the title text would go.

At least make it configurable to turn off. Right now I just throw a TITLETEXT=| to minimize the text from showing up. I am sure this will take you 5 minutes.

Tom, I really think we need to make the TITLETEXT not required.  People are now getting into creating custom backgrounds and game system logos go in place of where the title text would go. 

At least make it configurable to turn off.  Right now I just throw a TITLETEXT=| to minimize the text from showing up.  I am sure this will take you 5 minutes.

I want this as well, but a solution is using a blank font for titles. I have a font called "Nero Faker" that I use for this and it works perfectly. It's attached btw.

/Emph

nero_faker.zip

How about a favorites mode, where each emulator/section you go into shows just your favorites for that section with a link or button show all. 90+% of the time I want to play my 5 or 6 favorite genesis games, 8 or 10 favorite nes games, 6 or 7 favorite pinball games, 15 to 20 favorite mame games, etc. While favorites is great as it is, if I put my favorites from each section I get 100+ games, and going through 5 or 6 screens of favorites becomes sortof a pain. This would also be a pretty eligant way to handle the request people have made for folders in favorites.

I also think it would be sortof cool that when friends are over and say something like to bad you don't have xyz you could hit oh, go to mame and hit the green button.

You really want to get carried away, have an all/favorites/most played toggle that cycled through the 3 lists in each section.

How about a favorites mode, where each emulator/section you go into shows just your favorites for that section with a link or button show all.  90+% of the time I want to play my 5 or 6 favorite genesis games, 8 or 10 favorite nes games, 6 or 7 favorite pinball games,  15 to 20 favorite mame games, etc.  While favorites is great as it is, if I put my favorites from each section I get 100+ games, and going through 5 or 6 screens of favorites becomes sortof a pain.  This would also be a pretty eligant way to handle the request people have made for folders in favorites.

I also think it would be sortof cool that when friends are over and say something like to bad you don't have xyz you could hit oh, go to mame and hit the green button.

You really want to get carried away, have an all/favorites/most played toggle that cycled through the 3 lists in each section.

Thanks sWampy, great ideas. You've given me some inspiration here, and I think I have a way (slightly different) now to improves the favorites system a little.

Thanks sWampy, great ideas. You've given me some inspiration here, and I think I have a way (slightly different) now to improves the favorites system a little.

I was having trouble getting to sleep last night, and some reason this popped into my head, I started to get up and post it last night, but said no, I'll sleep on it and if it still seems like a good idea tomorrow, I'll post it.

hi tom.is there anyway you could enhance the attract mode so it could randomely boot an emulated game as well as mame games

you could add an option to each of the emulators config i.e

enable atract mode true/false

because it wouldnt work on my pc games very well.

i often walk past my arcade machine and see mame games but id love to walk past

and see sonic or mario .you know real classics.

by the way i love the category seperator in all the emulators now .there great

and the new menu transitions look quite cool

ive posted a picture of my arcade machine here take a look

im quite proud of it :)

post-464-1142692702_thumb.jpg

I want this as well, but a solution is using a blank font for titles. I have a font called "Nero Faker" that I use for this and it works perfectly. It's attached btw.

Thanks Emph.... good deal. You rock. But how do you define this phantom font from within each emulator. Do you define it in the system wide font selection and then have a some kind of standard text that will always be hidden in the title?

Every once in a while I see a screensaver going and I'm like "man that's a cool game" and I never get to see the title screen before it exits. What about the ability to say press "select" while watching the attract mode screen saver and be able to start playing the game. (Because we are just watching an actual game running right)

~wb

Every once in a while I see a screensaver going and I'm like "man that's a cool game" and I never get to see the title screen before it exits.  What about the ability to say press "select" while watching the attract mode screen saver and be able to start playing the game. (Because we are just watching an actual game running right)

~wb

Mamewah has this ability, and I love it. I think gameex used to have this feature, but it somehow got broken/removed. Mamawah had another cool feature where it's screensaver at random just played movies/displayed snapshots. You could set it to when you exit the screen saver it was positioned at the last game shown, so you could just hit select to play that game. I really miss that feature.

Thanks Emph.... good deal.  You rock.  But how do you define this phantom font from within each emulator.  Do you define it in the system wide font selection and then have a some kind of standard text that will always be hidden in the title?

I use a system wide definition. In the theme.ini file it's called "Title font or something like that". I started using it when I tried zinc the first time, since that title couldn't be blanked in any other way and that that apparantly wasn't important enough for Tom to "fix". ;) Hope you get it to work like I meant it to. You never know when you'll have a need for at blank font.

Emph

Mamewah has this ability, and I love it.  I think gameex used to have this feature, but it somehow got broken/removed.  Mamawah had another cool feature where it's screensaver at random just played movies/displayed snapshots.  You could set it to when you exit the screen saver it was positioned at the last game shown, so you could just hit select to play that game. I really miss that feature.

Now I have found myself wishing I could play the odd game that shows up on the screensaver, to have a quick start to play option would be groovy indeed!

Now I have found myself wishing I could play the odd game that shows up on the screensaver, to have a quick start to play option would be groovy indeed!

You can see the last game that was played in the screensaver by selecting "Last MAME game"

Also - the dont exit game by doing coin-in should be fixed in the latest release.

hi tom

i just installed the latest gameex 5.84

and it still exits attract mode when i press a gamepad button

is there a setting in the config im missing or is this a bug thats been around for a while

thanx gerble1000

hi tom

i just installed the latest gameex 5.84

and it still exits attract mode when i press a gamepad button

is there a setting in the config im missing or is this a bug thats been around for a while

thanx    gerble1000

My bad, it's actually supposed to exit when you press a gamepad button. I messed up on that one, its supposed to do that. What should work now is pressing coin in to stay in attract mode, so 4 or 5 on the keyboard.

Just so I dont raise hopes, Vertical support is never likely to happen.

The reason is simple, in that the GameEx GUI will just not fit on a vertically reported display at Low res Arcade Monitor resolutions. It would need to be running at at least 1024X768 and as low res arcade monitors cant support this resolution thats the reason.

If there was actually demand for running GameEx rotated but at high res, then I will certainly implement it.

What are your thoughts?

I'm all in for vertical MAME as well (I have a rotateable monitor).

If I succeed in creating a design where the GameEx GUI fits on a 288x640 (maybe even 256x640) screen would you then consider implementing it? (I might have to design a special font). Please!

(Today I work as an art director and I used to do (more than 15 years ago!) lots of graphics for various demo groups on both C64 and Amiga - so I'm used to "pixel challenges" :-))

I'm all in for vertical MAME as well (I have a rotateable monitor).

If I succeed in creating a design where the GameEx GUI fits on a 288x640 (maybe even 256x640) screen would you then consider implementing it? (I might have to design a special font). Please!

(Today I work as an art director and I used to do (more than 15 years ago!) lots of graphics for various demo groups on both C64 and Amiga - so I'm used to "pixel challenges" :-))

I've still not ruled it completely out, especially now there's a theme editor, but feel free to go ahead, can't guarantee anything though.

OK not sure if I have seen this one or not but... what about a button at the top or an option in the list to activate the screensaver?

sometimes when i put on music i want to immediatly have the ss go on but instead just have to wait for it to kick in... unless i am missing something.