All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Which Arcade Monitor?

deano7

I am running Gameex in a Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet which currently has a Wells Gardner 7197 25" monitor and I am Using JPAC.

Anyway, I need a new monitor because the resolution on the current one is OK for games, but terrible in gameex at 800X600 and blurry. It isn't much better at 640X480 either.

I haven't measured if I can fit a 27" monitor in there or not, but I would like one, although the 25 is pretty tight so I am not sure it will work.

Anyone have any recommendations for monitors that I can buy and easily put in my rig?

I have the same monitor as jombee and can also highly recommend it but since your cab is designed for a 25" monitor I don't think you'd be able to make it fit. You'll have to look for a comparable 25".

Well, I assume that the dimensions are 23.5" wide from that link as 235 just doesn't make sense. Is that right JOMBEE? I measured the inside of my cab and it is a hair over 25". Is seemingly has enough clearance. Is there anything I am not thinking about when figuring it could work?

I would guess maybe a bezel might not fit so I would have to create one somehow?

Would I need a new mount?

Would it look funny?

Anyone else try it?

Well, I assume that the dimensions are 23.5" wide from that link as 235 just doesn't make sense. Is that right JOMBEE? I measured the inside of my cab and it is a hair over 25". Is seemingly has enough clearance. Is there anything I am not thinking about when figuring it could work?

I would guess maybe a bezel might not fit so I would have to create one somehow?

Would it look funny?

Anyone else try it?

I just measured mine and the mounting brackets are 24.5" wide, not 23.5.

From my experience, making a monitor fit in a pre-existing cab is really tricky. Mounting them can be a real bear, they're heavy and awkward which makes them tough to maniupulate. The more room you have all around for centering etc., the better. Remember your going to need build some sort of bracket or crossbrace that the metal mounts of the monitor will connect to. You also have to be concerned with the depth.

IMO it would look funny to have only a half inch on either side of the monitor and no bezel. On my first cab I did this with a tv and it looked a little odd. I jury rigged a bezel out of black foam core board you can find at any arts and crafts store.

Would it look funny?

Anyone else try it?

24.5"is the correct width from bracket to bracket. I don't think the depth will be a problem for you, I would be concerned about the height and the width. I would be really concerned with having less than an inch to spare with your width only 25". My cab had a 33" monitor in it (which by the way seemed too big for most games), so I had to build custom mounting brackets to hold my 27" monitor. You would also most likely have to build some type of mounting system. If you are handy with tools it is very easy rig up different mounts, plus you don't have to worry about how it looks since nobody will see it anyways. Betson also carries black plastic bezels that fit this monitor (get curved), and it is easy to cut to fit into any cabinet.

24.5"is the correct width from bracket to bracket. I don't think the depth will be a problem for you, I would be concerned about the height and the width. I would be really concerned with having less than an inch to spare with your width only 25". My cab had a 33" monitor in it (which by the way seemed too big for most games), so I had to build custom mounting brackets to hold my 27" monitor. You would also most likely have to build some type of mounting system. If you are handy with tools it is very easy rig up different mounts, plus you don't have to worry about how it looks since nobody will see it anyways. Betson also carries black plastic bezels that fit this monitor (get curved), and it is easy to cut to fit into any cabinet.

Ok, you guys have convinced me NOT to go for the 27"... If it is 24.5, then that is too tight.

Any comparable 25" monitors that you can recommend or have heard good things about?

Ok, you guys have convinced me NOT to go for the 27"... If it is 24.5, then that is too tight.

Any comparable 25" monitors that you can recommend or have heard good things about?

Unfortunately the only good multi-sync monitors that I am aware of are 27" (betson and Wells Gardner).

Sorry, I don't have much familiarity with 25" monitors. Another Wells Gardner may be a good idea so the fit is exact. Try the BYOAC forums also as mentioned they have some real monitor pros over there.

Sorry, I don't have much familiarity with 25" monitors. Another Wells Gardner may be a good idea so the fit is exact. Try the BYOAC forums also as mentioned they have some real monitor pros over there.

What is the trick to getting on that forum? I tried to register on Friday and still have yet to get admin approval.

I think the problem withthe Wells Gardner comparable monitor is it says that the resolution is 640 X 200. I currently have a WG monitor and windows looks horrible in every resolution. I think that is why. I found this one by Makvision on the Hap site.

http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49305600.htm anyone have one? At least the resolution is 640X480 although I really want 800X600.

What is the trick to getting on that forum? I tried to register on Friday and still have yet to get admin approval.

I think the problem withthe Wells Gardner comparable monitor is it says that the resolution is 640 X 200. I currently have a WG monitor and windows looks horrible in every resolution. I think that is why. I found this one by Makvision on the Hap site.

http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49305600.htm anyone have one? At least the resolution is 640X480 although I really want 800X600.

I'd stay away from Wells Gardner monitors because they have reliability issues (guys over at BYOAC will tell you the same).

:)

Check your "junk mail" folder.

Tempest. If you sent something, I didn't recieve it. I just realized that my junkmail e-mail has been shut down so I just set it up to one that works. Please resend when you get a chance and thanks! Dean

Tempest. If you sent something, I didn't recieve it. I just realized that my junkmail e-mail has been shut down so I just set it up to one that works. Please resend when you get a chance and thanks! Dean

I was refering to what bkenobi said:

I found that when registering at BYOAC it took a couple days and it ended up in the junk mail box when it did arrive. I think they validate members manually to keep bots out.

I think mine ended up in the junkmail too...

Sorry for the confusion, sometimes my answers are too short (and sometimes there too long ;) )

Deano7,

If you get that monitor lemme know how you like it. I'm looking at that particular model to go into my NFL Blitz 99 machine. The monitor I have in it currently is standard res. I have been spoiled by Mame and want a med res monitor to enjoy the game properly. ;)

I am using arcadeVGA. With one of the newer monitors, can I use any graphics card I choose? Is soft25khz a tool to allow that?

DJ infinity, I finally posted this question on the monitor section of BYOAC as has been suggested and I just asked you the same question over there. Too funny.

I have had good luck with my Billabs 27" monitor. They now also have a 25" model, the BL25C90T. Check out http://www.billabs.com/crts.htm for more info.

If you click on "special prices" in the bottom left corner, they have touch screens. It says plug & play compatible. Can you really just get one of these and use them out oh the box? It would be cool to be able to make selections in Gameex using a touchscreen...Of course it raises questions such as:

Would there be an easy way to handle:

1. Alpha paging?
  2. Back?
  3. Scrolling? (I think there's arrows for this)

I guess an on screen keyboard would be nice....

If you click on "special prices" in the bottom left corner, they have touch screens. It says plug & play compatible. Can you really just get one of these and use them out oh the box? It would be cool to be able to make selections in Gameex using a touchscreen...Of course it raises questions such as:

Would there be an easy way to handle:

1. Alpha paging?
  2. Back?
  3. Scrolling? (I think there's arrows for this)

I guess an on screen keyboard would be nice....

The Special Offers shown also expired on 12/01/06. I guess they have not had any new Special Offers in quite some time.

The Special Offers shown also expired on 12/01/06. I guess they have not had any new Special Offers in quite some time.

Darn - I just missed the sale... ;)

After closer inspection, I see that half of the links don't go anywhere either. :(

Edit - I found this:

http://www.acdplace.com/adtoucscreen7.html An add-on screen for $300, A 21" touchscreen monitor is $1000

http://www.oneworldtouch.com/product.html?pid=3 19" lcd monitor for $550

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-manfs/irt...-systems-co-ltd These are so cheap ($300 for 19") that I think it must not be a complete system. They have sizes up to 26"

Just a not about the touchscreen. If the commands are converted to mouse movements (like many touch screens do), then it will work with GameEx just like any other mouse.

That's what I'm hoping for....

Any Idea why the ones in the last link are so cheap? I'm guessing they need additional hardware?

Are my questions regarding "back" and "paging" controls in Gameex relevant?