All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Cleaning up Roms

The Visad

Not quite a GameEx qestion, more of a rom question in an attempt to make Gameex Look nice. Listed below are the formats that my roms are in. I know that E, U and J stand for Europe, Japan, and US. My question is what on earth are the bracketed text for? I spent half the morning looking around for information regarding the brcketed text and have found nothing relating to it. I want to make sure that my game list is using the original and best rom for the specific game. It seems NES and Genesis use this as I have not found it on any of my other roms.

Rom name (U) [b1].nes

Rom name (J) [p1].nes

Rom name (E) [!].nes

Rom name (U) [b2].nes

Rom name (J) [p1][a1].nes

Rom name (E) [o1].nes

Edit: I copied this from a website, This is not my work!

I'm guessing the emoticon isn't in the original list! Looks like it should have been a "B"....

Tags are extremely confusing. Here is a quick list of ones you might come across.

Reigonal tags:

[!] - "Verified" as a good dump.

(J) - Japan.

(U) - USA.

(E) - Europe.

(EU) - Europe and USA.

(JU) - Japan and USA.

(JUE) - All regions.

(W) - World (same as JUE)

(Brazil) - duh.

[R-country] - Specific country dump.

Old MD/Genesis reigonal tags:

(1) - Japan & Korea only

(4) - USA & Brazil NTSC only

(5) - NTSC only

(8) - PAL only

(B) - any non USA

Others tags:

(Proto) - Prototype cartridge. This is an unfinished build of a game.

(Beta) - Beta cartridge. This is an unfinished build of a game.

(V1.0), (V1.1), etc - Version number.

(REV00), (REV01), etc - Revision number.

(Unl) - Unlisenced. Probably a pirate.

[a1], [a2], etc - Alternate version. Another acceptable dump.

[f1], [f2], etc - Fixed. Edited (cracked) to work in emulators.

[h1], [h2], etc - Hack. Something about this cartridge has been changed, probably by pirates. The change is likely not noticeable.

[h1C], [h2C], etc - Hack. Something about this cartridge has been changed, definitly by Chinese pirates.

[p1], [p2], etc - Pirate version. The pirates changed something about the cartridge. Likely a simple removal of copywrites or a multipack.

[t1], [t2], etc - Trained. The ROM has been edited to alter stats or other gameplay mechanics.

[o1], [o2], etc - Overdump. Lots of extra data on the end, which is likely garbage.

[b1], [b2], etc - Bad dump. You almost certainly don't want to download this.

[hI] - Intro hack.

(MP) - Mega Play.

[c] - Checksum.

[x] - Bad checksum.

(multiboot) - GBA multiboot. This is the data booted on a GBA through a link cable.

[T+language_name] - Translation + language translated to _ transator.

notes:

There is some ambiguation between tags like [f1], [h1], [h1C], [p1], and [t1].

[hI] has a cool screen added to the beggining of the ROM!

[o1] or [b1] tags mean that the ROM is essentially garbage. I don't understand why those bad eggs aren't dropped from goodsets.

Bad checksums ([x]) aren't nessisarily bad; a good dump of Dynamite Heddy has a bad checksum.

I Would give a link to the site, but they have roms....

Edit: I copied this from a website, This is not my work!

I'm guessing the emoticon isn't in the original list! Looks like it should have been a "B"....

I Would give a link to the site, but they have roms....

Awesome! No links necc... that answered my question perfectly!

Visad

To make your life easier, you can just run your roms through a nointro data file.

If your talking about using CMP (and I think you are) I think it is best to rebuild to a new directory as well, the last I knew, CMP doesn't delete extraneous files, so rebulding to a new directory really cleans things up.