All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mapping keyboard input to overload existing gamepad buttons

alexdog69

Is t here any way to do this?

i.e. I have one emulator in particular (NullDC) that won't let me mix input from the keyboard or a different gamepad device when I'm using the gamepad input plugin.

so, I have to map one of the U360-controlled 7 arcade action buttons to start.... instead of mapping one of my IPAC inputs (1P/2P/3P/4P start keys) to start like all the other emus.

kind of a pain since people hit start by accident while playing.... and really annoying sometimes since Dreamcast has a built in 'reboot' key sequence if u hit A,B,X,Y + start :)

im wondering if there is some key2joy type app that can trigger the button #8 input on my U360 gamepad device.

There is no really good way to do a keyboard -> gamepad input. All of the programs out there are set up to do gamepad -> keyboard (xpadder is probably the best of the bunch). You can do gamepad -> gamepad via ppjoy, but I never got it working. I would suggest using xpadder and mapping all gamepad buttons to keyboard inputs and then assigning those keys in nulldc. Brian or Nologic would have better suggestions though as I know they've played with nulldc directly (I still play with the actual console, so I've never looked at the emulator).

Like bkenobi suggested.

Use XPADDER to remap you joypad to keystrokes.

Use NullDC with the Nulldc controller [winhook] plugin and map the keys accordingly.

Really Id suggest this for all emus. Even the ones with decent joypad support. This way you can have one config for all emus.

Makes things easier to troubleshoot and reimplent.

Just my 2 cents, but...

I'm probably going to upgrade the MB and CPU on my cab in the near future, so I will likely set everything up again to make it clean. I am planning on setting everything up all emulators to use keyboard and then use xpadder to map buttons to those keys. It should allow me to switch between configs easier since most of the built in support isn't as easy to change as xpadder.

yes, xpadder is one way to overcome this problem.

the only problem is that you lose analog input support for things like driving games (Daytona, for example). which is my primary reason for searching out an alternative solution maintaining the gamepad input.

i wish they would just add keyboard input support to that nulldc controller winhook plugin.. all the other emus seem perfectly happy mixing gamepad+kb assignments in the controller config.

Yeah, that's definitely a problem. Perhaps you could ask for that kind of support on the xpadder forum or chat room. The author answers questions pretty quickly and any reasonable requests seem to be considered fairly quickly too!