All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] CPWizard v2.35

headkaze

Good idea ^_^ I'm waiting for this and I think all of us

Can you explain in more detail what you do and what happens? I've never used save states before, I thought they were automatically saved on exit then reloaded on start. Is Mame getting paused during this process? I need as much detail as you can so I can post a question on Mameworld.

I don't use the automatic savestate, I disabled it in the options because I like the originality of the arcade games.

Sometimes I like to save at various locations pressing shift-f7 and demands of the position I press 1 or 2 or 3, etc.

When I hit shift-f7 cpwizard shows just like when I hit "P"

I don't use the automatic savestate, I disabled it in the options because I like the originality of the arcade games.

Sometimes I like to save at various locations pressing shift-f7 and demands of the position I press 1 or 2 or 3, etc.

When I hit shift-f7 cpwizard shows just like when I hit "P"

Well I gave it a try but no response yet :(

Headkaze,

I finally have gotten some of my own "issues" worked out with Mame/GX/CPWizard. I fix the joystick problem I was having, and I changed a couple of settings in MAME. Ms. Pac-Man was using 100% of my processor speed, I have it now around 50% :rolleyes:

I think theses two things were causing the problem I had before with CPWizard not displaying on pause, my joystick interfering with key commands, and there just wasn't time for my processor to do anything else.

Now that I have everthing working well, (CPWizard pops right up on pause) I have to tell you that when I use escape to exit the CP image, mame is minimized to the taskbar. I am running windows xp pro, CPWizard 1.62

Also, when you have time could you check out my ramblings here:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?sh...ic=3292&hl=

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm supposed to announce this or not, but Headkaze has released CPWizard 1.65, and It is very cool!

I Cut from his website: http://members.iinet.net.au/~freeaxs/cpwizard/

4-2-2008 - CPWizard v1.6 Released

• Fixed mainmenu command line option not exiting back to menu
  • 5-2-08 - v1.61 Fixed info disappearing when not using the Mame Output system.
  • 18-2-08 - v1.62 Changed Label Link in Display Options to Label Arrow to avoid confusion with Label Links.
  • 19-2-08 - v1.63 Added help. Big thanks to Matt McLemore (tempest)
  • 22-02-08 - v1.64 - Fixed bug when exporting bezels (Kenpachi)
  • 28-02-08 - v1.65 - Added drop down list for Key Words

This latest addition of having the Keywords in a drop down list takes all the guess work out of displaying custom control panels based on control type. Through the use of the Keywords, I now have custom panels for Joystick (2wayhorizontal, 2wayvertical, 4way, 4way diagonal, and 8way) each control panel has the correct directional arrows for the joystick along with the proper label for each game :rolleyes:

Also with the use of Keywords, it is easy to alpha fade the controls that are not supposed to be used for each game. For example with each of my joystick panels, I removed the labels on the spinner, and trackball and alpha faded them out so only the joystick, and buttons (if used) are shown as controls to use.

Thanks Headkaze! - Working with this program has given me a great appreciation of the work that you have put into it, and at this point, I just don't see how it can get any better!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been using CPwizard for some time now and except some little problem in the first settings I could make it work quite well. I have a problem though :( .. In my Control panel I have a trackball and a spinner. I'm using Mameui32 and CPWizard 1.60 (I just updated to version 1.65 half a hour ago, but my problem is still there), and at the beginning I configured the option to recognize the trackball and the spinner like one unique mice; then I put in Cpwizard the respective labels (mouse1up/down/left/right for the trackball and mouse1left/right for the spinner) but only one couple of mouse1left/right was shown (the trackball one). At this point I turned on the multiple mice option in mameui32; I configured every control in the mame menu and deleted the unused ones to be sure there would be no conflict. At this point the trackball is assigned as mouse2, while the spinner is named mouse4. Now I re-edited all the labels for the spinner and the trackball, naming them accordingly (mousecode2 for the trackball and mousecode4 for the spinner), but the things got worse :blink: . When I preview the CP of games using the trackball or the spinner all the labels assigned in mame to "left" disappear, even the ones assigned to joysticks with keycodes. For example, looking at the arkanoid cp there are these labels: "fire" on button one and "right" on the player 1 joystick, on the analog joy, on the trackball right axys. Label "Left" appears only associated with one useless button on player2's side, and the mousecode4's label never existed in my tests. Now for the spinner I tried using mousecode1 labels, but the only one showing is the "right" one :(

Now, I think I'm doing something wrong, but after a week or two still I can't find a solution; maybe has anyone had my same problem? Anyone knows what's wrong?

Apart from my problems I think CPwizard is a really cool piece of software, thank you Headkaze for your hardwork!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been using CPwizard for some time now and except some little problem in the first settings I could make it work quite well. I have a problem though :( .. In my Control panel I have a trackball and a spinner. I'm using Mameui32 and CPWizard 1.60 (I just updated to version 1.65 half a hour ago, but my problem is still there), and at the beginning I configured the option to recognize the trackball and the spinner like one unique mice; then I put in Cpwizard the respective labels (mouse1up/down/left/right for the trackball and mouse1left/right for the spinner) but only one couple of mouse1left/right was shown (the trackball one). Apart from my problems I think CPwizard is a really cool piece of software, thank you Headkaze for your hardwork!

I was having problems similar to this when I had my monitor rotated vertically, Is your vertical?

I cut this from my post:

Well, I don't know if you are going to believe this or not, but I got tired of fighting everything (lightguns,zinc,nebula) in my cabinet because of my vertical monitor. So I rotated my monitor back to horizontal, changed the setting for screen rotation in MameUI32 to default,changed my Intel extreme graphics card back to no rotation, turned off rotation in Gameex, and Voila! the CPWizard displays the panels correctly. This is why I quit programming, things are just too complicated for a guy like me. I don't know how you guys do it.

Obviously HK is the expert on this, but if you will upload your layout file, and any custom .PNG's you might have from the media folder, I will be happy to take a look.

Hi Tempest, thank you for your reply. My monitor is classic horizontal, I never thought about using a vertical one for the reasons you stated in your last post ;)

I'm attaching a zip with my control panel layout, background and cpwizard ini (I hope these are the files you need..).

Thanks a lot for you help! :lol:

Hi Tempest, thank you for your reply. My monitor is classic horizontal, I never thought about using a vertical one for the reasons you stated in your last post ;)

I'm attaching a zip with my control panel layout, background and cpwizard ini (I hope these are the files you need..).

Thanks a lot for you help! :lol:

The files I downloaded were strange...Can't really explain it, 7z didn't see it as a .zip, so I just pulled the files I needed out of what looked to be your desktop? and your CP had a bunch of super-sized outlines of numbers and letters. No, I don't do drugs....that's not it ;) So I deleted all the random stuff out of the way to get to your CP. None of the images show up because they are T5 series and I only go up to T4, but that doesn't matter...I don't see any labels on your CP at all, only images. Maybe all that random stuff I deleted were labels? I think that the file must be corrupted. I see that somebody else downloaded it, Would you verify what I'm seeing?

Barcio,

Could you try uploading the files again? Or would you download the ones you uploaded before and see if they work for you?

Ooops, excuse me tempest, I forgot to include the t5 buttons. Well, they're simply the T2 button series downsized. Anyway, I could open my zip and the layout was looked right, but I used the same zip software to compress and uncompress it.. I think the random stuff you saw in my layout were the labels ;) , however I'm including a screenshot of how it looks on my pc. Thank you very much Tempest

p.s. I zipped the files with winrar now, they should be ok this time I hope

CPW_Barcio_2.zip

Ooops, excuse me tempest, I forgot to include the t5 buttons. Well, they're simply the T2 button series downsized. Anyway, I could open my zip and the layout was looked right, but I used the same zip software to compress and uncompress it.. I think the random stuff you saw in my layout were the labels ;) , however I'm including a screenshot of how it looks on my pc. Thank you very much Tempest

p.s. I zipped the files with winrar now, they should be ok this time I hope

Screenshots huh? Good Idea! Here's one of the first CP I downloaded:

post-2333-1204552597_thumb.jpg

When I drag one of the Shapes at the bottom aroun, you can see it looks like an "M"

post-2333-1204552644_thumb.jpg

I downloaded your new zip, it unzippped ok, but I basicaaly get the same picture as above, only now I can see your images (now that I have the T5 files), and when I right click on one of the large characters (such as the "M") It is indeed a label! So, in effect when I deleted all of the characters, I was deleting your labels. Really Strange....

Anybody want to jump in here? You don't have to wait three days to join in. ;)

Barcio,

I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help. I just can't get your CP to display correctly. I got it closer than before, but without knowing what you have, I wouldn't be able to tell you what to do. I'm sure somebody else will jump in here soon. :(

Woah, my layout is really messed up when opened on your cpwizard :blink: .. I think it is a problem of my pc, there must be something wrong or some files missing.. Anyway thanks a lot Tempest, you've been very kind ;)

Hey guys I've been really busy lately. If you can work out what CPWizard is doing wrong that would help out alot because I don't have a great deal of time to look into it right now.

The reason the layout was displaying strangly is the font sizes. For some reason they are not being saved as pixel sizes and it's interpreting them as huge fonts.

Anyway I just quickly went through and replaced the font sizes so you can view the layout. Like I said if you can figure out why it's not displaying the labels correctly that would be a huge help. Otherwise I'll have to find some time to look into it.

Thanks again Tempest your being a great help around here, and it's much appreciated!

Barcio: Great looking layout! Can you also post some of your Mame files here. Namely mame.ini, ctrlr\* (if your using a ctrlr file), cfg\default.cfg and cfg\* (add some cfg's for games that are not displaying labels correctly). Zip them up inside their folders and post them here. At least then we have a setup that resembles what you have and we can find out the problem from there.

AKC_CP_Mame.zip

Hey guys I've been really busy lately. If you can work out what CPWizard is doing wrong that would help out alot because I don't have a great deal of time to look into it right now.

The reason the layout was displaying strangly is the font sizes. For some reason they are not being saved as pixel sizes and it's interpreting them as huge fonts.

Anyway I just quickly went through and replaced the font sizes so you can view the layout. Like I said if you can figure out why it's not displaying the labels correctly that would be a huge help. Otherwise I'll have to find some time to look into it.

Thanks again Tempest your being a great help around here, and it's much appreciated!

Barcio: Great looking layout! Can you also post some of your Mame files here. Namely mame.ini, ctrlr\* (if your using a ctrlr file), cfg\default.cfg and cfg\* (add some cfg's for games that are not displaying labels correctly). Zip them up inside their folders and post them here. At least then we have a setup that resembles what you have and we can find out the problem from there.

I am a little busy today, but I can work on it all day tomorrow.....it's just nice to know that I wasn't doing something wrong!

Barcio,

I can see your panel now! If you would upload the files that HK asked for, I can take a look.

Thanks.

Hi, excuse me if I didn't post earlier but I've just come back from work..

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm uploading the files Headkaze told me to. I included a screenshot of the arkanoid panel, which explains clearly my problem. As you can see only the right controls are displayed.. The cps of games which don'use use the spinner or the trackball have no problem at all, every control is displayed correctly, but when the trackball or the spinner are in use the cps start going crazy.

I included my ini files and some config of the games which give me problems, I didn't include every cfg because they're too many and I don't want to confuse you :rolleyes:

By the way guys, you're really helpful indeed. I really thank you :P

Mameui32_barcio.zip

Hi, excuse me if I didn't post earlier but I've just come back from work..

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm uploading the files Headkaze told me to. I included a screenshot of the arkanoid panel, which explains clearly my problem. As you can see only the right controls are displayed.. The cps of games which don'use use the spinner or the trackball have no problem at all, every control is displayed correctly, but when the trackball or the spinner are in use the cps start going crazy.

I included my ini files and some config of the games which give me problems, I didn't include every cfg because they're too many and I don't want to confuse you :rolleyes:

By the way guys, you're really helpful indeed. I really thank you :P

I have to smile a little bit when you say you don't want to confuse me, I was confused before you got here! :blink:

I would like to preface this (maybe I just did) with I really am not an expert on this, but I will do the best I can.

I had a few minutes today to look things over. I printed out the Default.cfg that shows what controls you have set up for Mame.

For Player 1:

Paddle Analog is set to mousecode4, but you don't have mousecode4 on your panel.

Dial Analog - same as above

I know this is just from changing things around as you have been.

I was concerned about some of the some other entries as well.

Headkaze gets his information for what controls a game should use (joystick, trackball,etc.) from the controls.xml file in CPWizard>Data folder. If you don't have a viewer for XML You can download one from Mindfusion. According to the XML file, Arkanoid uses "dial" as the control.

In your default.cfg file, in your player 2 dial controls, you have "K" and "M" set up as Dial increase/decrease. I thought maybe this was why "left" was displaying by your "M" button, so I changed "K" and "M" to "Q" and "R", and voila!, No more "LEFT" I'm not sure this makes sense, because just going by your layout, It looks like "M" would be right, not left.

Now personally, I think this should be considered a bug, because controls.xml shows only controls for player1.

Also, still refering to the Default.cfg, in the player 1 dial controls, you have Mousecode 4 Xaxis set up, but for P1 dial V, you are using Mouse code 2 yaxis or joycode 1 yaxis. Again I think this is from messing around trying to get things to work.

If I were you I would print out the default.cfg, and check it over.

Next up, and I don't understand this at all, but if you compare the Default.cfg to what you see as the player controls in Mame (tab), they do not match! I thought maybe I was doing something wrong so just for fun I changed player 1 button 16 to "F2". I then exited Mame, and checked the default.cfg, and it shows the change I made. I thought maybe I was looking at the wrong file, or that it might be write-protected. Keep in mind that Headkaze is reading the default.cfg, and other .cfg files to determine what to display on the CP. Maybe if you check yours, they will match.....I hope so!

Other than that, I think you are on the right track, just some confusion from making changes trying to get things working, and a possible bug. If you need anything else, feel free to ask.....

One way around some of the problems you are having, is to make copies of your layout, and call them joystick,trackball,dial,etc. In the Dial layout, delete all of the labels for trackball, joysticks, etc., Then, using Mame Keywords in the CPWizard, use the keyword dial, and the layout called Dial, and for sure none of these extraneous labels will show.

I would like to say, that I think your Control Panel design (layout) is awsome, and I may want to copy it someday!

I hope all of this gets you going in the right direction....let us know how it goes.

Eheh, well, yeah, seeing things were not working I started trying many different ways, and now I have to say the situation is quite complicated :rolleyes:

I didn't notice the default.cfg doesn't show the same commands of the mame menu, I'll immediately start following your advices. Don't worry, if I still have problems I shall not hesitate asking help, eheh ;)

I'm glad you like my layout design, it took me some time to be satisfied with it, and I have to say I like it a lot too. I took inspiration from the control panels this guy builds. I think they're really stylish, and on his site you can find a useful tutorial to realize that neon glow with photoshop. By the way, I made the background with 3dstudio, photoshop and illustrator; if you like it I'd be glad to send you by mail the plain background or a ready-to-print pdf with the details you prefer as soon as my adsl comes back to life. I'd mail you the full editable photoshop file, but it weighs up to 300 mb.. :blink:

I'll let you know how it goes with my cpwizard configuration and maybe I'm a bit repetitive, but.. Thanks a lot!

Well, I tried everything you said me to try Tempest, but nothing changes; I even tried a full re-install of both cpwizard and mameui32, I switched to plain dos mame and created my layout another time from scratch, but my layout has always the same problem when spinner or trackball are in use. However I created alternative layouts as you suggested, and now things are really much better, so I decided that now I'm satisfied with my cpwizard layout :P

But now I have another question :lol: . I'd like to load a different layout when I'm launching 3 players or 4 players game. Is it possible using Mame keywords? I noticed that mame keyword permit to load a layout based on the kind of control used by a game, but nothing else. I tried using the "misc" option, I selected it and put a string like NumPlayers="4" (this is an example, I tried with a lot of different strings) like the one which is visible in miniInfo.xml, but it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? :huh:

Well, I tried everything you said me to try Tempest, but nothing changes; I even tried a full re-install of both cpwizard and mameui32, I switched to plain dos mame and created my layout another time from scratch, but my layout has always the same problem when spinner or trackball are in use. However I created alternative layouts as you suggested, and now things are really much better, so I decided that now I'm satisfied with my cpwizard layout :P

But now I have another question :lol: . I'd like to load a different layout when I'm launching 3 players or 4 players game. Is it possible using Mame keywords? I noticed that mame keyword permit to load a layout based on the kind of control used by a game, but nothing else. I tried using the "misc" option, I selected it and put a string like NumPlayers="4" (this is an example, I tried with a lot of different strings) like the one which is visible in miniInfo.xml, but it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong? :huh:

I hope I didn't imply before that you had messed up a bunch of stuff, it was clear to me that you had put a lot of thought into your layout, and configuration. I had just found a few problems with your default.cfg which I knew were from you changing things around, trying to get them to work.

So far as the "numplayers" goes, no you are not doing anything wrong, Headkaze doesn't use that information.

I don't think it will help, but check out this thread:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=3292

Just out of curiousity, when you checked your Default.cfg against what you see as the player controls in Mame (tab), Did they match?

I assume you know about "mame layout overides", I'm guessing it would be alot of CP's to do one for each three, and four player game. :lol:

Hi Tempest, don't worry, it's just that after passing through many configurations I didn't even remember which command was linked to which button, so I found more simple to re-install everything, eheh.

Well, I immediately looked at my default.cfg because what you said was quite strange, but my mame menu and the file matched perfectly.. I have never had problems using my commands in mame indeed; the problems arise when they are read by cpwizard.. :(

About your last suggestion.. yeah, I know about the mame overrides, and I thought about them as a solution too; with romlister I've already created two textfiles listing the names of roms for respectively 3 players and 4 players games. Now I only have to find a fast way to rename the same CPW layout with 300 different names.. :lol:

Hi Tempest, don't worry, it's just that after passing through many configurations I didn't even remember which command was linked to which button, so I found more simple to re-install everything, eheh.

Well, I immediately looked at my default.cfg because what you said was quite strange, but my mame menu and the file matched perfectly.. I have never had problems using my commands in mame indeed; the problems arise when they are read by cpwizard.. :(

About your last suggestion.. yeah, I know about the mame overrides, and I thought about them as a solution too; with romlister I've already created two textfiles listing the names of roms for respectively 3 players and 4 players games. Now I only have to find a fast way to rename the same CPW layout with 300 different names.. :lol:

I sent a message to Headkaze with a suggestion that the CPWizard have a text file such as this:

[layout 1]

romname1

romname2

romname3

[layout 2]

romname4

romname5

romname6

This way, everybody could do as you suggest, sort romnames as they see fit, and have any CP show for any group. I can't promise you that it can (or will) be done, but the seed has been planted....

Once again, great job on your CP design! Do you have a cabinet?