All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] CPWizard v2.35

headkaze

I took the advice you gave to 442much, and deleted my mame cfg files, and running mame outside of gameex. This solved the problem of the control panel not showing up the first time I press pause, but some of the panels do not display correctly.

Hmm okay this seems to be a common problem now. Can you zip up all your cfg files and post them here? It would help if I could get my hands on some ones that don't work so I can recreate the problem here.

Examples:

Millipede does not display correctly , centipede does.

pac-man plus does not display correctly, Ms. pac-man does.

How do they not display correctly? I just tried Millipede and Centipede and they both display the same controls for me. Perhaps you should post here your layout file and explain what you expect to see and what CPWizard is doing wrong? Screenshot can help too, in fact if you select View > Preview you can actually select the game from the list then select the Control Panel menu option then File > Save to save a screenshot.

I do have errors in the CPWizard, I will enclose the file for you to see.

Are these the errors you got before deleting the cfg files or after? It looks like a similar error to what 442much was getting.

I don't want to beat this to death, it was just a suggestion, I thought it would be easy to use the existing player_1_inputtype information, to do this. However, I haven't programmed anything since I sold my Commodore 64, so what do I know?

No I appreciate suggestions and comments, I was just thinking out loud. I did write code recently that turned off controls that wern't used. It's a little bit experimental so I turned it off for now. I will have another look at it some time though :) Good ol' C64 PEEK'n' and POKE'n' ;)

Hmm okay this seems to be a common problem now. Can you zip up all your cfg files and post them here? It would help if I could get my hands on some ones that don't work so I can recreate the problem here.

How do they not display correctly? I just tried Millipede and Centipede and they both display the same controls for me. Perhaps you should post here your layout file and explain what you expect to see and what CPWizard is doing wrong? Screenshot can help too, in fact if you select View > Preview you can actually select the game from the list then select the Control Panel menu option then File > Save to save a screenshot.

Are these the errors you got before deleting the cfg files or after? It looks like a similar error to what 442much was getting.

No I appreciate suggestions and comments, I was just thinking out loud. I did write code recently that turned off controls that wern't used. It's a little bit experimental so I turned it off for now. I will have another look at it some time though :) Good ol' C64 PEEK'n' and POKE'n' ;)

Headkaze,

I zipped up the mame configs, screen shots of the four games I mentioned (2 working, 2 not - you'll see the differences), and my layout.xml.

the error log I sent before was after I deleted the config files. I forgot about peekn & poken, that made me smile! I actually was into machine code - no compiler! ... just a bunch of nop's now :blink:

Might have found something else, when I tried to do a "save as" on my layout, it wouldn't save it to the new location, I had to copy and paste the file.

I have this problem with karate champ:

I use 2 joysticks (p1 and p2) to control this game and it works really well and it is true that as the original.

Then a single player is controlled with 2 joysticks (only directions)

This is my personal ctrlr.ini:

-----------------------------------

<system name="kchamp">

<input>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_RIGHT" mask="16" index="5" defvalue="16">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_L OR JOYCODE_2_RIGHT OR JOYCODE_2_XAXIS_RIGHT_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_LEFT" mask="32" index="6" defvalue="32">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_J OR JOYCODE_2_LEFT OR JOYCODE_2_XAXIS_LEFT_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_UP" mask="64" index="7" defvalue="64">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_I OR JOYCODE_2_UP OR JOYCODE_2_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_DOWN" mask="128" index="8" defvalue="128">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_K OR JOYCODE_2_DOWN OR JOYCODE_2_YAXIS_DOWN_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

</input>

</system>

Config fo player1 is not necessary because the default is fine but I have also tried to enter it but the problem is the same

<system name="kchamp">

<input>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_RIGHT" mask="16" index="5" defvalue="16">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_L OR JOYCODE_2_RIGHT OR JOYCODE_2_XAXIS_RIGHT_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_LEFT" mask="32" index="6" defvalue="32">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_J OR JOYCODE_2_LEFT OR JOYCODE_2_XAXIS_LEFT_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_UP" mask="64" index="7" defvalue="64">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_I OR JOYCODE_2_UP OR JOYCODE_2_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKRIGHT_DOWN" mask="128" index="8" defvalue="128">

<newseq type="standard">

KEYCODE_K OR JOYCODE_2_DOWN OR JOYCODE_2_YAXIS_DOWN_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKLEFT_RIGHT" mask="16" index="5" defvalue="16">

<newseq type="standard">

JOYCODE_1_RIGHT OR JOYCODE_1_XAXIS_RIGHT_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKLEFT_LEFT" mask="32" index="6" defvalue="32">

<newseq type="standard">

JOYCODE_1_LEFT OR JOYCODE_1_XAXIS_LEFT_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKLEFT_UP" mask="64" index="7" defvalue="64">

<newseq type="standard">

JOYCODE_1_UP OR JOYCODE_1_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

<port type="P1_JOYSTICKLEFT_DOWN" mask="128" index="8" defvalue="128">

<newseq type="standard">

JOYCODE_1_DOWN OR JOYCODE_1_YAXIS_DOWN_SWITCH

</newseq>

</port>

</input>

</system>

This is the result with "gameex control panel" (zero :mellow: )

gameexcpanelzt7.th.png

This is the result with "cpwizard" (strange :( )

cpwkchampqp1.th.png

:blink: I can not understand why this happens, someone knows?

GameEx has a very basic CP viewer that reads directly from controls.ini which is why I wrote CPWizard.

For CPWizard it should be displaying correctly. Do you have the latest version? There was an important update recently.

I tried opening up your MyCab.xml in the latest version (I admit I did have to use your second configuration file), but it displayed correctly.

Also check for a cfg\kchamp.cfg file. Delete it if there is one since you have your mappings inside your ctrlr file.

post-367-1199833007_thumb.png

Headkaze,

I zipped up the mame configs, screen shots of the four games I mentioned (2 working, 2 not - you'll see the differences), and my layout.xml.

the error log I sent before was after I deleted the config files. I forgot about peekn & poken, that made me smile! I actually was into machine code - no compiler! ... just a bunch of nop's now :blink:

Might have found something else, when I tried to do a "save as" on my layout, it wouldn't save it to the new location, I had to copy and paste the file.

I dont see any zip file?

Also can you check your CPWizard.ini file and check under the MameFolders section that your Cfg= is correctly pointing to your Mame\cfg folder.

BTW You can only save layouts in the layout folder ;)

GameEx has a very basic CP viewer that reads directly from controls.ini which is why I wrote CPWizard.

For CPWizard it should be displaying correctly. Do you have the latest version? There was an important update recently.

I tried opening up your MyCab.xml in the latest version (I admit I did have to use your second configuration file), but it displayed correctly.

Also check for a cfg\kchamp.cfg file. Delete it if there is one since you have your mappings inside your ctrlr file.

I have the latest version

I did not kchamp.cfg

I do not understand why not functioning properly :wacko:

I dont see any zip file?

Also can you check your CPWizard.ini file and check under the MameFolders section that your Cfg= is correctly pointing to your Mame\cfg folder.

BTW You can only save layouts in the layout folder ;)

I don't know what's going on....I didn't see the line in your post about checking the CPWizard.ini file until I started this reply. I thought I missed something, so I went back to the original post, and it's not there...... Weird!

At any rate, I checked the ini, and it is correct. I will try the zip again. Let me know if there is a problem. My internet connection is very unreliable today.

Tempest69.7z

I don't know what's going on....I didn't see the line in your post about checking the CPWizard.ini file until I started this reply. I thought I missed something, so I went back to the original post, and it's not there...... Weird!

At any rate, I checked the ini, and it is correct. I will try the zip again. Let me know if there is a problem. My internet connection is very unreliable today.

Okay first strange thing is I copied all those cfg files into my Mame\cfg and I didn't get any errors. I still have no idea where those errors in your log file are coming from. But I have a feeling it's the cause of all your mapping problems

I tried out your "My Layout.xml" file and Centipede, Millipede, Ms PacMan and PacMan Plus all display correctly for me *shrugs*

I guess the next thing to do is post me your mame.ini file along with your ctrlr file if your using one. Also I need to know if your using standard command line Mame or not.

Okay first strange thing is I copied all those cfg files into my Mame\cfg and I didn't get any errors. I still have no idea where those errors in your log file are coming from. But I have a feeling it's the cause of all your mapping problems

I tried out your "My Layout.xml" file and Centipede, Millipede, Ms PacMan and PacMan Plus all display correctly for me *shrugs*

I guess the next thing to do is post me your mame.ini file along with your ctrlr file if your using one. Also I need to know if your using standard command line Mame or not.

I am using Mameui320.121 with a Ultimate 360 joystick, and a mini-pac controller (as far as I know, no ctrlr file)

I guess you don't know what my problem is since everything worked for you. While the control panel displays all of the joystick directions for pac-man plus, it only shows the "right" direction for Ms. pac-man (not left,up,down)

MAME.7z

I am using Mameui320.121 with a Ultimate 360 joystick, and a mini-pac controller (as far as I know, no ctrlr file)

I guess you don't know what my problem is since everything worked for you. While the control panel displays all of the joystick directions for pac-man plus, it only shows the "right" direction for Ms. pac-man (not left,up,down)

Hmmm yeah you don't have any ctrlr file set. This is a strange one for sure. I'm clutching at straws now but when you make a change in Mame (like delete those cfg files) you should exit out of CPWizard and load it again. I forgot to ask you as well can you post your CPWizard.ini file that might hold a clue.

Hmmm yeah you don't have any ctrlr file set. This is a strange one for sure. I'm clutching at straws now but when you make a change in Mame (like delete those cfg files) you should exit out of CPWizard and load it again. I forgot to ask you as well can you post your CPWizard.ini file that might hold a clue.

Well, I don't know if you are going to believe this or not, but I got tired of fighting everything (lightguns,zinc,nebula) in my cabinet because of my vertical monitor. So I rotated my monitor back to horizontal, changed the setting for screen rotation in MameUI32 to default,changed my Intel extreme graphics card back to no rotation, turned off rotation in Gameex, and Voila! the CPWizard displays the panels correctly. This is why I quit programming, things are just too complicated for a guy like me. I don't know how you guys do it.

I still have one small problem, I don't know what started it (maybe it never stopped), but when I press "pause" the screen goes blank. (sometimes I can see the CPWizard flash for just a second) I press "escape" the game is shown again, press "pause" the game starts again, press "pause" and CPWizard displays.

Let this one go for awhile, and we'll see if anyone else has this problem. If not, I'll bug you in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for your continued help

Well, I don't know if you are going to believe this or not, but I got tired of fighting everything (lightguns,zinc,nebula) in my cabinet because of my vertical monitor. So I rotated my monitor back to horizontal, changed the setting for screen rotation in MameUI32 to default,changed my Intel extreme graphics card back to no rotation, turned off rotation in Gameex, and Voila! the CPWizard displays the panels correctly. This is why I quit programming, things are just too complicated for a guy like me. I don't know how you guys do it.

I still have one small problem, I don't know what started it (maybe it never stopped), but when I press "pause" the screen goes blank. (sometimes I can see the CPWizard flash for just a second) I press "escape" the game is shown again, press "pause" the game starts again, press "pause" and CPWizard displays.

Let this one go for awhile, and we'll see if anyone else has this problem. If not, I'll bug you in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for your continued help

Maybe try using Command Line Mame instead of Mame32. You really should be running the Command Line version with GameEx anyway.

If you have Mame rotated, GameEx rotated and CPWizard all rotated in software, then you should _not_ have your Intel graphics card set to rotate. You either rotate your graphics card (hardware rotation) and leave all the other software alone, or you set your graphics card to no rotation and turn on rotate in all the software. I have no idea what turning on both hardware and software rotation would do but it would probably cause a few strange problems.

Okay I figured it out!!

You are using mame32FXpp which does not have a standard mame.ini file. Place the attached mame.ini file into your Mame folder. That should work!

I am not using mame32fxpp, I upgraded to mame 0.122. I am using the normal mame.

The problem was that I had mame.ini only in the ini-folder and not in the root of mame

Now I copied my mame.ini in root and everything works correctly.

The string of your ini is equal to the string of my ini

Thank you very much again, what I would do without HK? :)

Maybe try using Command Line Mame instead of Mame32. You really should be running the Command Line version with GameEx anyway.

If you have Mame rotated, GameEx rotated and CPWizard all rotated in software, then you should _not_ have your Intel graphics card set to rotate. You either rotate your graphics card (hardware rotation) and leave all the other software alone, or you set your graphics card to no rotation and turn on rotate in all the software. I have no idea what turning on both hardware and software rotation would do but it would probably cause a few strange problems.

I couldn't remember why I had done this, so I checked it out both ways.

1. Gamex and Mame games do display correctly while using the rotate feature in Gameex, however (obviously) The OS is sideways, so it is a little difficult to work on. So I rotated the video card as well.

2. If I rotate only using the video card, the OS displays correctly (obviously), and the Mame games display correctly through Gameex, however th Gameex front end (loading screens, menus, etc.) does not rotate. At least not for me.

I think I'm starting a whole new topic here....

From what I've read, I believe you are right, I should switch to the comand line version, I tried it with mame0.121, but I lost some of the features (no error, and other screens). I know that its possible to compile my own version, and I have actually downloaded the latest version, and the mame compiler, I just haven't taken the time to do it. There is just so much to figure out, and it really takes alot of time when its all new. Is there a site that has some of the more common patches centralized? Better yet, why isn't there a place to download the version without "nag" screens? My guess is that it would violate Mame copyright (or some such thing) But if everybody's doing it anyway..... I guess you can tell I'm not a lawyer! :lol:

Maybe I should say that I am neither a geek nor a nerd, but if I had to choose I'd be a geek.

SWEEEEEET!!! I configured my CP on one computer and then moved it to the other assuming it would look good at a given resolution....it didn't. Now I just need to resize the image and move EVERYTHING at once (I was dreading getting everything lined up again ;)

Thanks for the update!

small doc fix.. it's 08 right? :P

14-01-07 - v1.57 - Fixed shutting down PC showing Prompt To Exit message (Lakersfan)
14-01-07 - v1.56 - Multiple object select/move/edit/cut/copy/paste. You can select multiple objects using the mouse to draw a selection or hold shift while you select objects. You can now edit object properties of multiple objects at once.
12-01-07 - v1.55 - Added prompt to exit, can now edit most options, major graphics enhancement by Nologic (thanks mate!)
06-01-07 - v1.53 - Updated graphics
06-01-07 - v1.52 - Fixed Control Info offset bug
05-01-07 - v1.51 - Fixed bug if you don't select Mame exe at startup (Nologic)
05-01-07 - v1.5 - Big update! Improved mapping accuracy (alot). Prompt to save added.
30-12-07 - v1.41 - Fixed bug when using Mame 0104 (Dustin Mustangs)