All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] CPWizard v2.35

headkaze

Version 1.41 Released

- Fixed bug when using Mame 0104 (Dustin Mustangs). Auto update bug fix

Really important update. This will fix some problems running CPWizard with older versions of Mame. Mame 0104 has been tested and verified as working. You will need to press the 'L' key to show the menu for Mame 0117 and earlier.

More importantly is the auto update bug fix which fixes a problem when you update a Mame version. Very minor bug but caused it not to work right.

Headkaze,

I love your CPWizard!

I would like to make a couple of suggestions.

Would it be possible to have a window pop up and ask if you want to save changes when switching between files, Closing the program, etc.?

I can't tell you how many times I've lost my work without Windows babysitting me.

Also, when I create a label/Mouse code/mouse_1_up (or any other mouse code) it does not display the code. (I tried it with your "Lightning" layout and had the same results.) For example: I have a trackball, and if I have a label for mouse_1_up it does not display with centipede. I looked at the controls.xml file and it shows the trackball as the correct controller for the game.

I assume that is where you get the information for misc_p1_input type.

So I am wondering if you might set up other drop down boxes (code type) for spinners, trackballs, etc. so that the information would display next to the device when appropriate, or possible change the mouse code/code value to be specific controls instead of just mouse1,2,3,etc...

Either way would be fine, I don't know which is easiest, or most flexible for others to use.

Thanks!

I am not able to edit the control panel of gameex and I like to use the editor cpwizard.

In practice I would see my control panel also inside gameex for mame (view control)

It will be possible in future?

Well...

I tried this a while ago (back whan it was in beta) and I had issues with it. Seems a lot has changed since then, so I suppose it's time to give it another go around. Any last minute tips before I get started? Also, is this hooked in to MAME's tab menu or no? I figured it may be since I used HK's patcher to compile MAME (HUGE props on that too HK! You're the man!!)

I have ZiNc and M2 and all my emus working great, so now it's time to tinker with some eye candy, since I'm out of 'under the hood' things to play with...

Heheh! Only took me two years to get it just the way I want it. I almost want to break things again on purpose... Or perhaps it's time to look into LEDs for my buttons. Only time (and the guarantee the old lady will push me off into the basement) will tell. ;)

Headkaze,

I think I've found a couple of bugs, unless no one else has this problem, then it's just me.

The first time I press PAUSE in a game, the game pauses, then the screen goes blank. If I press ESC, the screen will display the game again (still paused).

then I press PAUSE again to continue the game, and when I press PAUSE again the control panel shows up.

Edit: I went down to my cab to see if the "send pause checkbox" would make a difference, I just tried it with Asteroids Deluxe, and the control panel didn't appear after 3 tries. I'm not sure what the checkbox is for????

The second thing I've noticed, is that the Keycode_Left, Mousecode_1_left, and the joy_1_left (I'm not at my cabinet, but I think those are close), do not seem to display at all for spinner games, but display fine for trackball games. I tried 3 spinner, and 3 trackball games, and it seems to be consistent.

Lastly, in reference to the post that I made about the spinner and trackball controls, Iwas thinking that if they were made to display only if Player_1_inputtype was equal to one of those devices, the it would make for a very clean control panel display.

In (very) simple logical terms:

if player_1_inputtype=spinner then display Spinner_1_right

That way the panel would only display the one best type of control for that game. That was why I suggested the separate code types for those devices. Anyone who wanted all options to display in the cpwizard could still use the boxes that are in the proram now.

Let me know what you think.

The first time I press PAUSE in a game, the game pauses, then the screen goes blank. If I press ESC, the screen will display the game again (still paused).

then I press PAUSE again to continue the game, and when I press PAUSE again the control panel shows up.

Edit: I went down to my cab to see if the "send pause checkbox" would make a difference, I just tried it with Asteroids Deluxe, and the control panel didn't appear after 3 tries. I'm not sure what the checkbox is for????

When you say "I went down to my cab" what do you mean? Do you mean you were running CPWizard from Remote Desktop? I noticed it doesn't work on my cab via RD but it runs ok on the actual cab.

The checkbox is only for Mame 0117 or below before the Raw Input System was introduced. Since then you can't send keys to Mame. Later versions of Mame send a message when it's paused so that is used. CPWizard detects the version of Mame your using a sets the options accordingly.

The second thing I've noticed, is that the Keycode_Left, Mousecode_1_left, and the joy_1_left (I'm not at my cabinet, but I think those are close), do not seem to display at all for spinner games, but display fine for trackball games. I tried 3 spinner, and 3 trackball games, and it seems to be consistent.

Lastly, in reference to the post that I made about the spinner and trackball controls, Iwas thinking that if they were made to display only if Player_1_inputtype was equal to one of those devices, the it would make for a very clean control panel display.

Can you give me the names of the games that arn't showing the controls correctly?

The problem with what you are suggesting (only showing controls if they are used for the game) is that CPWizard doesn't know your MOUSECODE label is for a spinner or for a trackball. I guess I could add another paramater to labels for identifying the type of control.

In (very) simple logical terms:

if player_1_inputtype=spinner then display Spinner_1_right

That way the panel would only display the one best type of control for that game. That was why I suggested the separate code types for those devices. Anyone who wanted all options to display in the cpwizard could still use the boxes that are in the proram now.

Let me know what you think.

The actual mapping occurs using the input code KEYCODE_, JOYCODE, MOUSECODE_ GUNCODE_ etc. so I would have to add another paramter like "Input Type" where you can specify the type of control.

I've noticed that about the paths too. I understand that that should verify that the path is correct, but there are other ways. Also, I think the root for when you press "..." on the paths should be the directory containing the current file. Just my opinion though.

Updated to the latest version and I still have the problem. I see errors in the log, I just don't know how to fix them.

-Dan

CPWizard_log.txt

The errors are for me to help debug, your not supposed to know how to fix them ;)

That error looks like there is a cfg file that contains incorrectly formatted xml. I'm not sure if you have custom keys set up for games, but I would backup your cfg folder in Mame then delete it's contents. Try CPWizard again and see if that error returns. I have a feeling this is not the problem causing your input not to respond.

You need to run a game in Mame (outside GameEx) then show the menu for CPWizard. Then if it's not allowing input, then close off CPWizard using Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) to end CPWizard.exe task. Close off Mame, then post your CPWizard.log. The reason for this is I need to read the error log after your experiencing the input problem and without GameEx running will help me narrow things down a bit more.

Just a question for you HK. I just noticed that you can actually build the CP image directly in the CPWizard now by adding buttons etc. I was curious if you were planning on having future versions linked to the button color data so that for people with LED's that change the button color for each game, the CPWizard would show the correct CP? Seems like a cool idea, so I'm guessing that's one reason why you added that capability and thus are WAY ahead of me.

Just a question for you HK. I just noticed that you can actually build the CP image directly in the CPWizard now by adding buttons etc. I was curious if you were planning on having future versions linked to the button color data so that for people with LED's that change the button color for each game, the CPWizard would show the correct CP? Seems like a cool idea, so I'm guessing that's one reason why you added that capability and thus are WAY ahead of me.

CPWizard has always allowed you to build your own CP using controls such as buttons. It's also has the capability to show correct button colors for CPs for a while now. If you take a look at the "Colors" layout it shows the button colors correctly. To see it in action set your Mame layout in Edit > Options to Colors and Show > Preview some games.

That error looks like there is a cfg file that contains incorrectly formatted xml. I'm not sure if you have custom keys set up for games, but I would backup your cfg folder in Mame then delete it's contents. Try CPWizard again and see if that error returns. I have a feeling this is not the problem causing your input not to respond.

That fixed it. Strange, I haven't changed any key mappings in over 6 months. I'm assuming I can move over my old mappings back into the cfg folder one at a time and see which one is causing the problem. Is there an easy way to tell which ones I have modified (I can't remember them all).

Thanks for the help!

-Dan

That fixed it. Strange, I haven't changed any key mappings in over 6 months. I'm assuming I can move over my old mappings back into the cfg folder one at a time and see which one is causing the problem. Is there an easy way to tell which ones I have modified (I can't remember them all).

Thanks for the help!

-Dan

The error means invalid xml so that could actually mean an empty file (I guess). So I would view the cfg folder in explorer click the View->Details and see if there is a 0 KB file. CPWizard should be able to read your cfg files in fine as that's what it's designed to do it uses them for it's mapping system. Must be some file in there causing it though. If you do find the culprit can you post it here please.

Headkaze,

When you say "I went down to my cab" what do you mean? Do you mean you were running CPWizard from Remote Desktop? I noticed it doesn't work on my cab via RD but it runs ok on the actual cab.

I'm not runnung RD, I was just running up and down the stairs, and giving too much information. (Sorry!)

The checkbox is only for Mame 0117 or below before the Raw Input System was introduced. Since then you can't send keys to Mame. Later versions of Mame send a message when it's paused so that is used. CPWizard detects the version of Mame your using a sets the options accordingly.

Can you give me the names of the games that arn't showing the controls correctly?

I took the advice you gave to 442much, and deleted my mame cfg files, and running mame outside of gameex. This solved the problem of the control panel not showing up the first time I press pause, but some of the panels do not display correctly.

Examples:

Millipede does not display correctly , centipede does.

pac-man plus does not display correctly, Ms. pac-man does.

I do have errors in the CPWizard, I will enclose the file for you to see.

The problem with what you are suggesting (only showing controls if they are used for the game) is that CPWizard doesn't know your MOUSECODE label is for a spinner or for a trackball. I guess I could add another paramater to labels for identifying the type of control.

The actual mapping occurs using the input code KEYCODE_, JOYCODE, MOUSECODE_ GUNCODE_ etc. so I would have to add another paramter like "Input Type" where you can specify the type of control.

I don't want to beat this to death, it was just a suggestion, I thought it would be easy to use the existing player_1_inputtype information, to do this. However, I haven't programmed anything since I sold my Commodore 64, so what do I know?

Thanks for your time.

CPWizard.7z