All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] CPWizard v2.35

headkaze

To elaborate on what BK said, the overrides are untouched, but the entries no longer exist in the Layout maps section of the Mame tab, so all of the entries have to be re-done.

Also, I updated from 1.95 to 2.14 yesterday, and my trackball controls don't show. I see you have new entries for trackball inputs, so I updated mine, and it didn't help. And yes, I realize that I'm probably doing something wrong... :(

I will have a look at the overrides. As for the trackball.. check your cfg files in Mame and that the input codes match. The input codes do work alot better now and have support for analog inputs as well. So it's improved alot since 1.95 but might require a bit of messing around since previously some things required little "hacks" to get them showing right, I'm hoping there should be less need for them in the later versions. Let me know how you go and post the usual files if you get stuck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Headkaze,

thanks for the app. I gave it a shot for the first time today. I've got my layout all setup, and I've matched keycodes from each button to it's MAME counterpart.

CPWizard pops up just fine when I pause mame, and it fills out all the game info perfectly.

It does not however want to label the buttons properly.

In most games, no labels appear. I just tested 1941 - Counter Attack however and it labeled my 4P button 1 as Fire and 4P button 2 as Loop. That game doesn't even support 4 players, and the keys mapped to 4p are not the same keys used by P1 or P2.

I am using Mame 1.29 through MameUI32 compiled with No Nag and Hiscore support. And I just got CPwizard today, so it is my assumption that it is the latest version (2.14).

I've seen a few mentions of installing a plugin in Mame... but i didn't see that in the quick setup tutorial.. so maybe I missed a step?

quick update: I have found that it is now always labeling the 4P buttons as the 1P buttons.

My 4P button 1 is A and button 2 is S.

My 1P button 1 is Z and button 2 is X.

The labels over the buttons reflect this, and so do the mappings within mame. So the question for me now is why does CPWizard think A and S are P1 buttons?

And for that matter, why it doesn't see any other matches across the other buttons.

eXo: These are usually mapping issues, but if you post your CPW layout file along with Mame's cfg\default.cfg and cfg\[rom].cfg of the game you are testing. Also if you are using a ctrlr file post that too. Zip them all up and attach them and I'll take a look. Usually only takes me a few minutes to figure out whats going wrong.

I got sick of it and turned everything off. When I restarted CPWizard everything worked perfectly. So even though it was the exact same files and all, for some reason CPW was not using the new values.

All is well now =)

Thanks though.

• 2 weeks later...
That's an error in HiToText, try downloading the latest version from here and copy it over C:\Program Files\CPWizard\HiToText.exe

Still no luck. When starting a game now it will pop up the error message. I click to continue and I see cpwizard. Any time I call cpwizard I get this error. The only thing I did different was update from an older version. I think I was using 2.12 before updating.

I wouldn't use older versions of CPWizard, if your still getting errors with the latest version of HiToText please post a screenshot of the error message along with the game's .hi file to here. Deleting the files in Mame's hi folder might stop the error. But the problem your getting is not related to CPWizard.

I wouldn't use older versions of CPWizard, if your still getting errors with the latest version of HiToText please post a screenshot of the error message along with the game's .hi file to here. Deleting the files in Mame's hi folder might stop the error. But the problem your getting is not related to CPWizard.

Hi HK,

Just wanted to say all is working again. I ran a registry cleaner app, and it has appeared to fix any issues I was having. I don't use the hi score support in mame. Hence nothing was in my hi folder to delete. Anywho, It's working again!

On a side note. How do I use the patch for viewing bezels? I don't see any documentation in the quick install tab.

You apply it just like you do the hiscore patch, so follow the instructions in the pinned topic here. Also there is no point in using the patch unless you want to not run CPWizard because when you pause the bezel shows inside Mame, but it also launches CPWizard, so it's really just an alternative to running CPWizard.

The patch does unpause Mame when you exit CPWizard as well so it can be used just for that feature too.

The patch does unpause Mame when you exit CPWizard as well so it can be used just for that feature too.

That was my main reason for wanting to use it. Any chance that could be added without applying the patch in a future version?

That was my main reason for wanting to use it. Any chance that could be added without applying the patch in a future version?

If Aaron answered my message to him probably. I found a way to get Mame to do it but there is a bug in Mame that needs fixing for me to use it. At least I think it's a bug, and I told Aaron about it in a message to him on his website but I haven't seen a fix in recent versions (either it's not a bug or he didn't read my message). Perhaps I should lodge a proper bug report for it.

If Aaron answered my message to him probably. I found a way to get Mame to do it but there is a bug in Mame that needs fixing for me to use it. At least I think it's a bug, and I told Aaron about it in a message to him on his website but I haven't seen a fix in recent versions (either it's not a bug or he didn't read my message). Perhaps I should lodge a proper bug report for it.

HK,

I decided to just remove the hitotext.exe from the cpwizard folder. Everything seems to be working faster and better. Any side effects to this as I have no desire to use the Hiscore feature?

• 1 month later...

Version 2.19 Released

- Now CPWizard can unpause Mame without using a diff patch!

There are now 3 primary ways to use CPW and the new default method will not mess with state saves as it does not use Mame's pause key.

Method 1 (Recommended Default): As per the attached image

Mame Output System ON, Use Show Key ON, Send Pause ON, Pause Mode Message System, Detect Pause OFF

- With these settings CPW uses the Show Key set in the Input Options to display the CPW menu. This means CPW no longer interferes with save state. It also can unpause Mame automatically when you exit CPW. No diff patch is necessary!

NOTE: Using this method you cannot set the Show Key to be the same as Mame's pause key.

Method 2 (Older Method using diff patch):

Mame Output System ON, Use Show Key OFF, Send Pause ON, Pause Mode Diff Patch Method, Detect Pause ON

- With these settings CPW detects when Mame is paused and then shows the CPW menu. To unpause Mame when you exit CPW you need to have the bezel_0126.zip diff patch applied.

Method 3 (For older versions of Mame < 0.108):

Mame Output System OFF, Use Show Key ON, Send Pause ON, Pause Mode Send Keys, Detect Pause OFF

- With these settings CPW sends keys to pause and unpause Mame when you press the Show Key.

post-367-1242397815_thumb.png

So, if I understand correctly, the new method requires 2 buttons to bring up CPWizard (1 to pause MAME, 1 to show CPW). There is no way to have a single pause press both pause and bring up CPW with the new system, correct?

So, if I understand correctly, the new method requires 2 buttons to bring up CPWizard (1 to pause MAME, 1 to show CPW). There is no way to have a single pause press both pause and bring up CPW with the new system, correct?

With the new method CPW will pause Mame when you press the Show Key. But the Show Key can't be the same as Mame's pause key. But it is only a single button press. You could make CPW's Show Key 'p' and Mame's pause key something else and that would still work.

The old method is still there to use if you want to use the bezel patch and have CPW show when Mame is paused. But a few people had problems when they saved state in Mame because it pauses and so CPW would pop up.

Versions 2.20 Released

- Bug fixes to input control mapping system

For those that are having problems with input mapping in CPWizard there were some serious bugs related to it fixed in this release. Especially if you are using a ctrlr file. There were also fixes to the HideDesktop settings.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to setting up CP Wizard.

Having a few difficulties.

I have a spinner (mouse 5) and a trackball (mouse 2) on my cab. The joysticks are Ultrastiks.

The alpha feature works awesome for the buttons. I can't seem to get it working for the joysticks, trackball or spinner though. If I set the joystick image to one of the joystick directions then it will show up or not show up more or less appropriately -- but of course it's a bit of a hack, if the game is up/down only then the stick doesn't show. I tried setting it to Player 1 Joystick but that doesn't work at all. Tried making a group for all the Joystick stuff, that doesn't work either.

For the spinner it will only display right. Mouse 5 X Axis Neg Switch never shows anything.

Ditto for the Trackball and it won't show Mouse 2 Y Axis Neg Switch either. It shows up and right only.

Lastly, I noticed some nice pics in the media directory with different directions showing. I would like to set those up somehow -- since I have Ultrastiks to show four arrows for fourway, eight for eightway, diagonal for Q*bert and so on. I assume they're in there for that purpose. I am at a loss as to how to set that up though.

I think CP Wizard could benefit from a menu with all the groups listed and one could check off which groups to view. Running at 800 x 600 on my cab and the display in the editor is an unreadable mess. Would be really nice to be able to only show the labels for say group 1 and work with those.

The best way I can help is if you provide more info such as screenshots, also some files that help are the mame.ini the default.cfg and [rom].cfg from Mame's root and cfg dir. If your using a ctrlr include that from the ctrlr folder. CPWizard.log and CPWizard.ini as well as your layout xml file zipped up and attached and I'll take a look.