All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Possible bug on MAME exit within GameEx

FCAL

I have GameEx ver. 8.88

When a MAME game is selected, I use "ShellBeforeLaunch" to flash my Ultimarc UltraStik 360 Joystick to the appropriate mode using the [CONTROL] function of GameEx to call the correct map. This seems to be working GREAT!

Then, when I exit MAME by the only way I can (MAME Cancel Function called with [Esc]) I am promptly returned to GameEx.

I have the option "ShellOnExit" set to flash my joystick back to a 4-Way mode.

"ShellOnExit" never gets called. I have verified this by putting a bad joystick map in place and checking the errorlog and also checking the current joystick map after a MAME and GameEx exit. The joystick map is always set to the last game I played.

Please advise.

Thank you.

-Alan Y.

I have GameEx ver. 8.88

When a MAME game is selected, I use "ShellBeforeLaunch" to flash my Ultimarc UltraStik 360 Joystick to the appropriate mode using the [CONTROL] function of GameEx to call the correct map. This seems to be working GREAT!

Then, when I exit MAME by the only way I can (MAME Cancel Function called with [Esc]) I am promptly returned to GameEx.

I have the option "ShellOnExit" set to flash my joystick back to a 4-Way mode.

"ShellOnExit" never gets called. I have verified this by putting a bad joystick map in place and checking the errorlog and also checking the current joystick map after a MAME and GameEx exit. The joystick map is always set to the last game I played.

Please advise.

Thank you.

-Alan Y.

Launch MAME. Press TAB (Bring up the configuration) goto input settings. Goto other controls... Look for UI CANCEL... Define the key sequence. Preferably something other that ESC. Maybe this will trigger the elusive "ShellOnExit"

Launch MAME. Press TAB (Bring up the configuration) goto input settings. Goto other controls... Look for UI CANCEL... Define the key sequence. Preferably something other that ESC. Maybe this will trigger the elusive "ShellOnExit"

How exactly does this work? is this something for your joystick? What process is it waiting for to exit?

Brian,

"ShellBeforeLaunch" and "ShellOnExit" are GameEx functions. They are used to launch commands before MAME starts and after MAME exits. 2nd Screen of the Advanced MAME setup section.

I use these to flash a map to my joystick. This allows me to dynamically set my joystick to 2-way(up/down), 2-way(left/right), 4-way, 4-way diagonals, 8-way, analog, etc. for each game I start.... so I do not need a dozen physical joysticks.

I have actually mapped the MAME "Cancel" function to Joystick1 Button8. This works just fine.

-Alan Y.

Have you checked out the UltraStick plugin? It automates most of this for you.

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?sh...amp;#entry28018

Headkaze,

Thank you for the link. I downloaded the plugin and it was a SNAP to install.

I am having some issues with my diagonal maps which I noted to the author at the link you provided.

I am in a quandary right now....

Choice A -- Manually setup GameEx and call pre-execution / post-execution scripts to establish proper maps on joysticks.... There were two little issues with GameEx that I posted (one here) that is preventing me from accomplishing this 100%.

Choice B -- Use UltraStik Plugin (preferred method) Here I am not able to use diagonal maps properly (posted this as well).

I am almost there and would appreciate any assistance (I believe all reported issues are being worked) or advice you could provide. If "Sit Tight... there will be fixes..." is the answer... I am happy with this as well.

Thanks.

-Alan Y.

Could someone please confirm the "shellonexit" is broken? Ill get it fixed.

Thanks.

Tom, Great product!

On the issue...

I used the "Cancel" function of MAME to exit back to GameEx from Q-Bert (4-way diag).

I used the "ShellOnExit" to set the joystick map to a 4-Way for menu navigation.

I would immediately exit GameEx and launch UltraMap to validate the current loaded map and it was never set to what I had listed for "ShellOnExit".

I did check the paths, command line, etc., both in the Config GUI and the GameEx.ini file, but a second set of eyes would be good.

Thank you.