All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] MAME Compiler 64 v2.0.165

headkaze

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me understand this, I don't know the first thing about compiling! I'm using this mainly in the hope of removing the annoying message prompts in mame.

I've followed the instructions, using the latest mame source and hi_125.diff through to hi_125u7.diff. When I pressed go, compiling seems to be going on and it takes a while. At the end I get a bunch of video errors, but they appear after the process says it is 'finished'. Also, only the first patch file seems to anything; all the others produce messages about 'skipping' the patch.

After all this, I can't find the newly compiled mame exe in C:\MinGW\source\Mame0125. Am i missing a step? Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks for any help in advance,

Fen

If you are just trying to patch the 125 source, the only patch you need is hi_125.diff. The other patches are for u builds...and even if you use a mame u build, you only need one hi diff patch. Here's two examples:

1) If you are just trying to compile the MAME 125 source, you would only patch with hi_125.diff.

2) If you were going to compile MAME 125u2, you would need to patch 0125u1.diff, then 0125u2.diff and finally hi_125u2.diff. Notice only ONE hiscore patch is needed for u builds, but you need all the u builds obtained from mamedev.org.

As a general rule, you should probably stay away from u builds since they aren't necessarily stable (especially for your cab).

Hope this clears things up!

• 4 weeks later...
I reakon you could use this okay to compile Mame32. All you have to do is copy over the original Mame source with the Mame32 stuff.

The patches might not work though.

Could you eloborate on this for me HK? Trying to remove the nag screens etc but using MameUI

There was some discussion about compiling MAME32 in this thread. I know it's a few pages, but reading it from the beginning will be very informative!

If there has been a discussion I certainly can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction please?

If someone could only explain how I can remove the nag screens (i know I need to patch with hi_126.diff but cant understand how) for MameUI 126.1 I would be very appreciative

I guess I'm confused why you need MAME32 in the first place. GameEx is the front end you use to launch MAME, so you don't use the features of MAME32 in any way. If you want something to help in setting up games prior to running GameEx, then you can use MAME32 for that no problem. Once it's set up, you can then run MAME with all the same files MAME32 created. If you do that, then you will need a patched MAME (to avoid the nag screen) and MAME32 (patching not required).

It should be possible to use the MAME compiler to build a patched MAME32. As I said, it was discussed at some point a while back. We try to keep the forum clean, so this should be the location to find info on compiling it, but it's possible it was discussed in another thread. I would suggest the search feature on the forum to see if there's another thread that deals with MAME32 compiling. If you find something, please post a link here so the moderators can look into copying the content to this thread.

If you want something to help in setting up games prior to running GameEx, then you can use MAME32 for that no problem. Once it's set up, you can then run MAME with all the same files MAME32 created.

How do I just run MAME then? And does it make any difference to how it performs with GameEX?

Running MAME through GameEx is identical to running MAME32. The only difference is that you need to change the executable path and filename in the GameEx setup from MAME32.exe to MAME.exe. Everything else *should* be the same. All support files should be the same in current versions of MAME32, so you don't need to change anything, it should just work.

There's nothing wrong with using MAME32, it's just that there's no advantage to it either. Since most people use vanilla MAME, you will find better support here and around the net for it.

Can't seem to get this to work, help please.

Compiling Mame64...

Using Parameters MSVC_BUILD=1 PTR64=1 -f MameUI.mak

MameUI.mak:40: warning: overriding commands for target `vmameui64.exe'

makefile:518: warning: ignoring old commands for target `vmameui64.exe'

src\osd\winui\mui_opts.c(1493) : error C2065: 'OPTION_CHEATPATH' : undeclared identifier

src\osd\winui\mui_opts.c(1493) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'const char *' differs in levels of indirection from 'int'

mingw32-make: *** [obj/winui/vmame/osd/winui/mui_opts.o] Error 2

Finished!

0 Hours 4 Minutes and 13 Seconds Elapsed.

src\osd\winui\mui_opts.c(1493) : warning C4024: 'options_get_string' : different types for formal and actual parameter 2

src\osd\winui\mui_opts.c(1498) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'const char *' differs in levels of indirection from 'int'

src\osd\winui\mui_opts.c(1498) : warning C4024: 'options_set_string' : different types for formal and actual parameter 2

I tried it another way and got this error.

Compiling Mame64...

Using Parameters -j3 ARCHOPTS="-march=pentium-m -msse3" MSVC_BUILD=1 PTR64=1 -f MameUI.mak

MameUI.mak:40: warning: overriding commands for target `vmameui64.exe'

makefile:518: warning: ignoring old commands for target `vmameui64.exe'

src\osd\windows\video.c(241) : error C2084: function 'void osd_update_hi(running_machine *,int)' already has a body

src\osd\osdepend.h(113) : see previous definition of 'osd_update_hi'

mingw32-make: *** [obj/winui/vmame/osd/windows/video.o] Error 2

mingw32-make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Compiling src/osd/windows/window.c...

window.c

Finished!

0 Hours 2 Minutes and 13 Seconds Elapsed.

This what I did this time.

Moved all the files to their dirs.

By this I mean...

D:\Mame Compile\Compile 64

Everything under that is the same as "c:\MiniGW\source\Mame0126u4" would be, I am just using a different path which I point the program to Mae Source Folder "D:\Mame Compile\Compile 64".

I applied the following...

hi_126u1.diff

hi_126u3.diff

hi_126u4.diff

I did try it applying hi_126.diff first but I get errors either way.

Ideas? I got to run now but I will post more info. when I get back. Thanks!!

Just to verify, you are compiling MAME64. Is your machine running a 64-bit os and using a 64-bit processor? You need to have both on the system you run MAME on AS WELL AS the system you compile it on (if those are different).

Yes to all.

There are very detailed instructions in the first post. I suggest you print them out and follow them carefully. When I wrote the instructions I wrote down the steps as I did them, so if you follow them correctly it will compile Mame successfully.

Ok... I ended up getting it to compile ok and everything is working but the hi scores.

I created a dir called "hi" under my main mame folder and downloaded the latest highscore dat from the following, placed it in the main dir of mame where the newly created compiled exe is.

http://www.mameworld.net/highscore/

I recorded hi scores on Galaga but no file was created under "hi" and no score was recorded in the game when it was exited and reloaded.

Any Ideas? Almost close to having this work... No errors when I compiled, "nag" and "load" screens are gone.

ps. Patches where applied in the correct order as far as I know.

• 1 month later...

I had this great program working, then had to format my comp due to a stupid virus I somewhat willingly opened... ( instinct told me it was a virus, finger clicked anyway... :P )

Anyway, I'm trying to compile mame for an Athlon 64 processor running WinXP MCE 2005.

These are the directions I followed exactly (except for the name of the mame folder of course seeing as how it is 127)

Also, I installed MinGW by following "The Hard Way" shown in the Developers Tools section of mamedev.org

1. Install Mame Compiler

2. Download the Mame source from mamedev.org (ie. mame0126s.exe)

3. Download the Intermediate Updates from mamedev.org (ie. 0126u1_diff.zip, 0126u2_diff.zip, 0126u3_diff.zip, 0126u4_diff.zip)

5. Download the hiscore diff patch from here (ie. hi_126u4.txt)

7. Extract the Intermediate Update diff's to C:\MinGW\patches

8. Run mame0126s.exe and extract it to C:\MinGW\source\Mame0126u4

10. Run Mame Compiler (Start->Program Files->Mame Compiler->MameCompiler)

11. Click the [...] button to browse for the "Mame Source Folder" and point it to C:\MinGW\source\Mame0126u4

12. Click the [...] button to browse for the "Diff Patch File" and point it to C:\MinGW\patches\126u1.diff

13. Click the "Apply Patch" button.

14. Repeat step 12 for 0126u2.diff, 0126u3.diff and 0126u4.diff, then hi_126u4.diff

15. Put a tick next to the "Mame UI" option if your compiling MameUI

16. Press the "GO!" button to compile Mame

17. When it's finished compiling it should create a "mame.exe" file in the C:\MinGW\source\Mame0126u4 folder

This is the error I keep getting.

Deleting Object Folder...

Compiling Mame...

Using Parameters -j3 ARCHOPTS=-march=athlon64

mkdir.exe -p obj/windows/mame

process_easy: DuplicateHandle(In) failed (e=6)

process_easy() failed to launch process (e=6)

mkdir.exe -p obj/windows/mame

Counted 3 args in failed launch

Finished!

0 Hours 0 Minutes and 0 Seconds Elapsed.

I'm using a Vista Ultimate computer with an Athlon64 processor. The only thing left I can think of is user access permissions, which I granted myself, but have still left the dumb User Access Control system on, which I will soon turn off.

Any idea on what is happening?

Thanks in advance!

If you have installed MinGW manually then you need to get the mingw32-make.exe from the MC64 compile as it has been modified to work with it. So your better off starting from scratch and using the MC64Setup to install everything.

First I used the mamedev auto version, but that didn't work so I isntalled the hard version...

First I did install MC64 though... do I need to bother downloading MinGW from the mamedev site?