All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] MAME Compiler 64 v2.0.165

headkaze

I don't know if it will compile Mame32XT or Mame32FX as I don't see the need for them. Just apply the hi_123.diff file if you want to add hiscore support. That works fine.

Having VS2005/VS2008 etc. installed should not effect the compiling at all. Mame Compiler is completely stand-alone and does not use any external programs. I would like to get this working on Vista 64 so any addtional info you can provide on that would help.

Hmmm I could test on my work computer. It's a dual boot with xp32 and Vista Ultimate 64. I don't have VS installed on the machine either. This is just to rule out the posibility of VS & another install of platform SDK causing problems. I'll install Tuesday and post my findings. I did notice on Vista I only had to hit go once. As far as the drivitives go I like the interface and options they bring :)

Now this is interesting. I was wrong my mame compile will play games just not CHD ones it seems. I tried blitz 99 & blitz 2k also carnevil (mame just exited on that) and mace (mame stopped working and I had to task manager it closed). I even tried deleting the .cfg files & nvram with no luck.

Now this is interesting. I was wrong my mame compile will play games just not CHD ones it seems. I tried blitz 99 & blitz 2k also carnevil (mame just exited on that) and mace (mame stopped working and I had to task manager it closed). I even tried deleting the .cfg files & nvram with no luck.

Yeah I see what you mean, there is definately something wrong here. I don't think it's because they are chd games though I think it might be something to do with Direct3D. Perhaps I'm using wrong versions of the lib's? I'm going to try a different version now and see if that will work otherwise we may need to ask on mameworld to get the same version as someone with a working Mame64 compile.

EDIT: Tried a different version of the DirectX SDK and still having problems with those games *shrugs*

Yeah I see what you mean, there is definately something wrong here. I don't think it's because they are chd games though I think it might be something to do with Direct3D. Perhaps I'm using wrong versions of the lib's? I'm going to try a different version now and see if that will work otherwise we may need to ask on mameworld to get the same version as someone with a working Mame64 compile.

EDIT: Tried a different version of the DirectX SDK and still having problems with those games *shrugs*

I hope you have better luck on mameworld than I did. Everyone is so closed lipped about 64bit compiling. Like it's some precious secret.

I hope you have better luck on mameworld than I did. Everyone is so closed lipped about 64bit compiling. Like it's some precious secret.

It's not really a secret anymore as compiling is working in Mame Compiler it just seems there is some problem with games based on the seattle.c driver (Eg. most of those games you tested like Blitz, Carnevil, Mace etc.)

I'm still not sure what is causing the problem. There is a batch file called Make_Mame64.bat located in the MinGW\source\Mame0123 folder that you can use to compile Mame outside of Mame Compiler. Your welcome to help me try and locate what the problem is.

It's not really a secret anymore as compiling is working in Mame Compiler it just seems there is some problem with games based on the seattle.c driver (Eg. most of those games you tested like Blitz, Carnevil, Mace etc.)

I'm still not sure what is causing the problem. There is a batch file called Make_Mame64.bat located in the MinGW\source\Mame0123 folder that you can use to compile Mame outside of Mame Compiler. Your welcome to help me try and locate what the problem is.

Ok I will be happy to test anything you throw at me. I will try the bat file. But remember when I said there is something in VS2005 you need? You can't compile it in express edition you need full. I think the answer lies there. Mind you I am not the smartest man in the world but it is a cleverly based assumption.

Ok I will be happy to test anything you throw at me. I will try the bat file. But remember when I said there is something in VS2005 you need? You can't compile it in express edition you need full. I think the answer lies there. Mind you I am not the smartest man in the world but it is a cleverly based assumption.

At the moment your guess is as good as mine. I did notice there was a bug in 0.122u8 that crashed seattle games in a 64-bit compile but aparently it was fixed in 123.

Mame isn't crashing when running seattle games because you can still show the menu. Since there is no display or sound my guess is it's the emulation.

BTW You don't need VS2005 to compile Mame64 because the Platform SDK includes a 64-bit compiler. Express editions on the other hand don't include a 64-bit compiler. Mame Compiler includes bare minimum installs of Platform SDK R2 (MinGW\psdk) and DirectX SDK (MinGW\dxsdk).

I think this might be a question for mameworld I just gotta get all my test results together to make a post about it.

At the moment your guess is as good as mine. I did notice there was a bug in 0.122u8 that crashed seattle games in a 64-bit compile but aparently it was fixed in 123.

Mame isn't crashing when running seattle games because you can still show the menu. Since there is no display or sound my guess is it's the emulation.

BTW You don't need VS2005 to compile Mame64 because the Platform SDK includes a 64-bit compiler. Express editions on the other hand don't include a 64-bit compiler. Mame Compiler includes bare minimum installs of Platform SDK R2 (MinGW\psdk) and DirectX SDK (MinGW\dxsdk).

I think this might be a question for mameworld I just gotta get all my test results together to make a post about it.

Just to eliminate possibilites. I am running the official 64bit version of mamev123 seatlle games work fine in it. And you do need VS2005 to get it done. I remember reading something for it back on mamewrold forums awhile back.

R. Belmont

Arm Doctor

Reged: 09/21/03

Loc: Planet Zuvgear

Re: Best (optimized) way to build 64-bit Mame?

01/17/08 10:29 AM

> Is VS2005 the best way to build 64-bit MAME for optimal exe performance?

It is currently the only way to build Win64 MAME. (64-bit MAME for Linux/BSD/OS X are of course buildable by other means).

Wow!! what did you do? A Mame compile in 6mins and 30 secs? You gotta tell me what was the problem?? Blitz is working now. I'm about to try other games and see. I need to know what some of the other things you can check are for like can you build an optimized version for quad and dual core machines?

Wow!! what did you do? A Mame compile in 6mins and 30 secs? You gotta tell me what was the problem?? Blitz is working now. I'm about to try other games and see. I need to know what some of the other things you can check are for like can you build an optimized version for quad and dual core machines?

I spoke too soon it'll compile and play games but you can't access the menu when you press tab :(

I spoke too soon it'll compile and play games but you can't access the menu when you press tab :(

When you appy the diff patch the button for selecting menu items is changed to '1'. '1' is more cab friendly but you can always remap it back to something else if you want.

I don't think it is a remapping issue Brian :) when you enter the sub menu using tab the game pauses. I don't remember Mame ever doing that.

:rolleyes: Again the patch does this by design.

Yep I compile Mame64 in about 5:30 mins ;) Yes you can optimize for Dual Core/Quad Core just select Pentium M/Dual Core from the Optimization list. I also put a tick next to "Dual Core" as that speeds up compiling by multithreading on the two processors.

That's what you get for playing with things when you are half asleep. Great job man!!! whatr was the problem before tho? why wouldn't it do seatle games? and also is there a way to build winui versions?

The whole idea of Mame Compiler is so you don't have to know how it works lol If you want to know how to do it manually you can PM me and I'll explain in more depth.

I have no idea if WinUI versions will compile or not as I have no interest in UI versions. Your welcome to experiment yourself and let us know if you have any success.

[quote Yep I compile Mame64 in about 5:30 mins ;) Yes you can optimize for Dual Core/Quad Core just select Pentium M/Dual Core from the Optimization list. I also put a tick next to "Dual Core" as that speeds up compiling by multithreading on the two processors.

This is unbelievable I rattled off a 123u1 compile in one minute forty five secs on my Quad Core :blink:

Yes 1:45 sounds about right for a quad core ;) It should be even faster in Version 1.11! (If you were using the earlier version)

I'm not sure if the new optimization flags I put in 1.11 will make a difference in the 64-bit builds as they might only be gcc specific. But I didn't realise the old ones were removed from the makefile a few releases ago.

BTW In case you didn't know the "Clean Compile" option deletes the obj folder before it compiles.

The whole idea of Mame Compiler is so you don't have to know how it works lol If you want to know how to do it manually you can PM me and I'll explain in more depth.

don't forget about the PM I sent. for some reason the high score support breaks the derivitive build compiles. Also note ppl if compiling u1 use a fresh source apply u1 patch but don't apply the highscore one it breaks the compile. I think it needs to be updated for u1

don't forget about the PM I sent. for some reason the high score support breaks the derivitive build compiles. Also note ppl if compiling u1 use a fresh source apply u1 patch but don't apply the highscore one it breaks the compile. I think it needs to be updated for u1

The hiscore patch is only designed to patch vanilla Mame. I would never expect it to work in other derivitives. BTW I don't make the patches MKChamp does. You could always open the patch up in a text editor and apply the patches to the source files by hand then create a new diff file (this is quite easy to do and I've updated old diff's this way before). Since Mame Compiler is really only designed to work with vanilla Mame if you can compile other derivities with it that's a bonus (of course you wont be able to apply hiscore patches though unless they are specifically designed for that custom build of Mame).

has anyone been able to the hk's Compiler to work under vista 64 i just could be doing something wrong

i have extracted mane source C:\MinGW\source\Mame0123 click go

i get

Finished!

0 Hours 0 Minutes and 0 Seconds Elapsed.

mingw32-make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

has anyone been able to the hk's Compiler to work under vista 64 i just could be doing something wrong

i have extracted mane source C:\MinGW\source\Mame0123 click go

i get

Finished!

0 Hours 0 Minutes and 0 Seconds Elapsed.

mingw32-make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

it works on my work computer and I have ultimate vista 64. inside your mame0123 directory you should have three things a Make_Mame64.bat a folder called src and a makefile