All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] MAME Compiler 64 v2.0.165

headkaze

HK,

Im having a issue compiling mame .120 using the compilier... I gives me a libemu.a error...

I can compile using the mingw32 from mamedev... The only reason I bring this up is I know your version is special because of the output...

Have you tried this new version?

I'm trying it now...

I get the same error. Here is what I found...

- My compiled version of mingw32-make.exe is causing the problem

- If I download the official source for MinGW make and compile it even with _no_ changes it wont work either

- My compiled version of make is 204 KB, the official make binary is 162 KB (both are version 3.81). Only the official make binary seems to compile Mame 0120 successfully.

So in conclusion it seems, the problem is my custom make file, but it's not the changes I've made but the _way_ I've compiled it. I've tried both Visual C 98 and Visual C 2003 and they both compile a make that won't work. Remember this is with or without the necessary changes to make output work in Mame Compiler. Very strange.

So to fix this we really need to find out how the official MinGW make file is compiled so we can compile it in the same way. Unfortunately I have no idea how to find this out.

I'm really busy trying to get LCD Plugin v2 out the door so I can't waste any more time on this, but maybe you or MKChamp can figure this one out. PM me if you need the source code changes necessary to get make output in Mame Compiler.

Here is the source for MinGW make:

http://mamedev.org/tools/mingw32-make-3.81-src-2.tar.gz

And here is the official MinGW make binary:

http://mamedev.org/tools/mingw32-make-3.81-2.tar.gz

hmm I thought most things compiled for mame where with GCC...which build...I don't know.

Your probably right. Although I also tried doing this..

1. Downloaded http://mamedev.org/tools/mingw32-make-3.81-src-2.tar.gz

2. Downloaded MSYS

3. Put make-3.81 folder into C:\msys\1.0\home\HeadKaze

4. Run msys.bat

$ cd make-3.81

$ configure

$ make

5. Copy make.exe to C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make.exe

6. Compile Mame 0120

Result:

mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target `obj/windows/mamep4/emu/machine/rp5h01.o', needed by `obj/windows/mamep4/libemu.a'.  Stop.

Same result as using Visual Studio 98 and 2003 :blink:

Your probably right. Although I also tried doing this..

1. Downloaded http://mamedev.org/tools/mingw32-make-3.81-src-2.tar.gz

2. Downloaded MSYS

3. Put make-3.81 folder into C:\msys\1.0\home\HeadKaze

4. Run msys.bat

$ cd make-3.81

$ configure

$ make

5. Copy make.exe to C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make.exe

6. Compile Mame 0120

Result:

mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target `obj/windows/mamep4/emu/machine/rp5h01.o', needed by `obj/windows/mamep4/libemu.a'.  Stop.

Same result as using Visual Studio 98 and 2003 :blink:

Do you think this may be done intentionally ? The timing seems funny after the 'patch episode'.

:)

Do you think this may be done intentionally ? The timing seems funny after the 'patch episode'.

No this wasnt....

Aaron Giles told me that the patch was ok... just not condoned.

2 reasons... 1) I didn't include the source. 2) It removes the screens that make mame make sure users are a) aware that some roms may not work correctly. B) Make sure its useres are aware they need to legally own the PCB or the dumped rom they have.

To combat the *PATCH* future mame builds maybe digitaly signed.

You need an offical binary to compare the patched binary.. In order to create the patch file.

Tho this may never happen... Things have calmed down about this now

MAME 120 introduces a few changes to the way it works.

If anything Id think they would change the code for the disclaimers... Rather than use a new compiling method...

Or go with the signed binary..

Oh well

The Diff for 119 no nags DOES WORK for 120.

We need someone who knows more about MinGW and linux, and knows how that official make binary is compiled. If we find them I can give them to modifications to it so they can compile it. Perhaps it's compiled on a linux machine? I still get a different size binary using MSYS to the official one.

No this wasnt....

Aaron Giles told me that the patch was ok... just not condoned.

2 reasons... 1) I didn't include the source. 2) It removes the screens that make mame make sure users are a) aware that some roms may not work correctly. B) Make sure its useres are aware they need to legally own the PCB or the dumped rom they have.

To combat the *PATCH* future mame builds maybe digitaly signed.

You need an offical binary to compare the patched binary.. In order to create the patch file.

Tho this may never happen... Things have calmed down about this now

MAME 120 introduces a few changes to the way it works.

If anything Id think they would change the code for the disclaimers... Rather than use a new compiling method...

Or go with the signed binary..

Oh well

The Diff for 119 no nags DOES WORK for 120.

Sorry Folks. Didn't mean to start speculation or piss anyone off. Just thought it was a funny coincidence that's all.

Brilliant ! What was the fix (i probably won't understand but would like to know anyway) ?

I'm not exactly sure, but I knew I had to compile mingw32-make.exe using the same parameters as the official make. After lots of searching on the web and trying different things I decided to look inside the make archive. Lo and behold in the docs folder is a readme that has the parameters used to compile it. So I just made my source modifications then recompiled using MSYS.

GNU make port to mingw32
Version: 3.81

This version is compiled with the following:

../../$PACKAGE/configure \
--disable-dependency-tracking \
--disable-nls \
--enable-case-insensitive-file-system \
--disable-job-server \
--disable-rpath \
--program-prefix=mingw32-

make CFLAGS="-s -O2 -mms-bitfields -mtune=i686"

I dunno but I have a feeling it was the --enable-case-insensitive-file-system switch.

Brian Hoffman: I was used to use ur patch for the mame screensaver purposes.

Just to letting me know, instead of a patch availability I must now use that mame compiler? Not that I want to do a criticism, just need to be sure about the fact future standalone patches won't be released, thx

Just to letting me know, instead of a patch availability I must now use that mame compiler? Not that I want to do a criticism, just need to be sure about the fact future standalone patches won't be released, thx

Your right there won't be any more binary patches the only way to patch Mame will be using Mame Compiler.

Yes you need to compile your own.. I'am no longer providing a pubic release of the patches...

I really enjoyed providing them but since the blow up over at another forum I'am choosing to cease development.

On a happier note HK's program is really easy to use and will yeild the same results.

I suggest you give it a shot.

Happy Gaming

Brian Hoffman

• 3 months later...

Version 1.0 Released

- Adding support for compiling Mame64

Uninstall the old version of Mame Compiler if you already have it installed. This version of Mame Compiler extracts MinGW to your System Drive (Eg. C:\MinGW). Source is now placed in MinGW\source and patches are placed in MinGW\patches.

NOTE: If your doing a Mame64 compile you may have to press GO! again a few times when you get an "Error -99"

Version 1.0 Released

- Adding support for compiling Mame64

Uninstall the old version of Mame Compiler if you already have it installed. This version of Mame Compiler extracts MinGW to your System Drive (Eg. C:\MinGW). Source is now placed in MinGW\source and patches are placed in MinGW\patches.

NOTE: If your doing a Mame64 compile you may have to press GO! again a few times when you get an "Error -99"

Hmm I wonder how close I was :) I forgot I got my laptop here @work with 64bit Vista Ultimate. I might just give this a go now. I just wonder if you can use other sources like Mame32XT & Mame32FX.

Hmm I wonder how close I was :) I forgot I got my laptop here @work with 64bit Vista Ultimate. I might just give this a go now. I just wonder if you can use other sources like Mame32XT & Mame32FX.

I don't know what happened but I got this at the end of my compile

Linking vmame.exe...

dinput.lib(dilib2.obj) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections found with different attributes (C0500040)

whatever that is made a mame.exe that will not play a game. the screens come up but no game. I don't know if this is a Vista thing or because I have VS2008 already installed with platform SDK & Direct X. I'ma try it on my 64bit machine at home that has 64bit XP and VS2005 etc.

I don't know what happened but I got this at the end of my compile

Linking vmame.exe...

dinput.lib(dilib2.obj) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections found with different attributes (C0500040)

whatever that is made a mame.exe that will not play a game. the screens come up but no game. I don't know if this is a Vista thing or because I have VS2008 already installed with platform SDK & Direct X. I'ma try it on my 64bit machine at home that has 64bit XP and VS2005 etc.

Yes I get that error too, but mame runs fine for me. I haven't tested this on Vista 64 so maybe I need to make some changes for it to work on that OS. I just don't have a Vista 64 machine to test I'm afraid.

Is there a different Platform SDK needed for Vista 64? If so does overwriting C:\MinGW\psdk with those files make it work successfully?

Yes I get that error too, but mame runs fine for me. I haven't tested this on Vista 64 so maybe I need to make some changes for it to work on that OS. I just don't have a Vista 64 machine to test I'm afraid.

Is there a different Platform SDK needed for Vista 64? If so does overwriting C:\MinGW\psdk with those files make it work successfully?

I don't think so. The one I have installed with no complaints (surprisingly) But like I said the non playable Mame could be either because of Vista or VS2008. I'ma try when I get home on my AMD64 setup cause it is similar to yours XP64 bit with VS2005. While I have your attention can you do derivitive builds with this? I.E. Mame32XT or Mame32FX When I tried to use mike's project files for VS the high score support in those stopped the compile.

I don't think so. The one I have installed with no complaints (surprisingly) But like I said the non playable Mame could be either because of Vista or VS2008. I'ma try when I get home on my AMD64 setup cause it is similar to yours XP64 bit with VS2005. While I have your attention can you do derivitive builds with this? I.E. Mame32XT or Mame32FX When I tried to use mike's project files for VS the high score support in those stopped the compile.

I don't know if it will compile Mame32XT or Mame32FX as I don't see the need for them. Just apply the hi_123.diff file if you want to add hiscore support. That works fine.

Having VS2005/VS2008 etc. installed should not effect the compiling at all. Mame Compiler is completely stand-alone and does not use any external programs. I would like to get this working on Vista 64 so any addtional info you can provide on that would help.