All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] MAME Compiler 64 v2.0.165

headkaze

My plans to test this back over Thanksgiving holiday never happend, so I took advantage of some free time today to give it another go.

I deleted all my prior installs and directories to get a fresh start. I also uninstalled MC64, and downloaded and installed a fresh copy, below are my results.

I created a MinGW folder and in it source and patches sub-folders, so the directory structure is just as shown on the MC64 homepage.

Upon opening and clicking the downloads tab it was still showing 0.155

I clicked download file list twice and suddenly this changed to 0.156

For this exercise, I just compiiled 0.156 (I'll do 0.157 later)

I then checked:

Mame 0.156 (downloaded and extracted to source folder without issue)

Hiscore dif (downloaded hi_155_2.txt into patches folder without issue) Note: hi_155_2.txt is correct for 0.155 and 0.156

Bezel Patch (operation timed out)

MinGW (downloaded and extracted to MinGW folder without issue)

Compiled without errors 22 minutes 47 seconds

Hiscore diff successfully applied

As always, thanks headkaze for providing us with this extremely useful tool!

• Like 1

The compiler is not yet updated to download Mame (Vanilla or UI) 0.157 source code. It will download 0.156 vanilla build but errors when trying to download 0.157 UI build. Will this be updated in the near future?

• 3 months later...

There has been a change to the Build Tools which required a rather substantial update to MC64.

I am not going to do an official release yet but so far it appears to be working fine for people.

I would appreciate it if people could download it and try compiling Mame 0161.

Note 1. You must download the latest Build Tools to compile again (from the Download tab in MC64). Your MinGW folder structure will now be 'buildtools' with 'src' and 'patch' sub-folders. Also there is a new "Update Build Tools" button which will grab the latest build tools from Git (this will only work after you do the initial "Build Tools" download).
Note 2. If you download Mame and MameUI source at the same time then do a compile you may get an "undefined reference" error when you target a compile for WinUI. If this happens download the MameUI source again then put a tick next to "Clean Compile" and try again.
  • Like 2

This appears to be working fine. I'm on my way through for a second time. The first go I created my own directory structures, copy and pasted from MC64, I know don't ask, just a habit I have of doing them manually. I'm not someone who uses MAMEUI, but I ticked it on this first run along with MAME, and HiScore and built tools.

Once done I erased everything completely, and started over. I wanted to confirm it did it's thing without intervention, so this time I let MC64 do it all, including the directory structures. This go around it was Mame Source, HiScore, and build tools. So far it has been flawless, it's just compiling slowly on this machine.

post-8419-0-92324300-1431114316_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-20646700-1431114333_thumb.jp

Edited by tthurman

Looks nice HK! Nice touch on the MAME logo in the status strip!

I'm psyched to use this over the weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the latest MAME Compiler v2.0.162 for MAME 0.162 and I get error at end about Windows x64. Noticed the Sub Target now has Arcade trying that and re-compiling too see what happens as I had it set on Default.

Will let you know what happens.

Nope!

make: *** [windows_x64] Error 2

UPDATE!

Had to install the offline BuildTools from MAME's site as doing it from MAME Compiler left alot of the folders in buildtools with a red exclamation ! Re-compiled and now it works.

Can't compile the WinUI version!

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../../../../generated/resource/mamevers.rc', needed by `../../../../mingw-gcc/obj/x64/Release/mame.res'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `H:/Apps/buildtools/src/Mame0162/build/projects/winui/mamearcade/gmake-mingw64-gcc'
Finished!
0 Hours 21 Minutes and 32 Seconds Elapsed.
make[1]: *** [mamearcade] Error 2
make: *** [windows_x64] Error 2

I've always ran vanilla MAME, so excuse my MAMEUI ignorance. I downloaded and installed MC64, selected all the options on the download screen, clicked download selected, and upon completing the download, clicked go.

Works great, I didn't do anything else, well except watch.

Along the way I got areas of white text, as in the below pic. Ignore the "Tiny" selection in the build options, I was checking drop down boxes for UI, and accidentally highlighted tiny way along during the build cycle.

post-8419-0-96075100-1433343268_thumb.jp

When I came back to this today, it was of course finished, and had two lines of red text indicating drivers found. I didn't take a screen shot of it unfortunately. I applied the two diffs, no problem.

So is this MAME, and MAMEUI compiled together?

Can't compile the WinUI version!

It works for me. Try downloading the MameUI source again in the Downloads tab and put a tick next to "Clean Compile"

Along the way I got areas of white text, as in the below pic.

That is normal. For whatever reason if you take focus away from the window the text no longer gets coloured.

So is this MAME, and MAMEUI compiled together?

You have to download the extra source to compile MameUI. For most people there is no need to get MameUI since you're using GameEx as your FE.

post-367-0-87010300-1433362120_thumb.png

I see what your saying. I did have it download the other source at the same time, but it would seem to be one or the other, not both. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow as I want to know from experience in case someone asks about it on down the road.

As always, thanks dude!

• Like 1

Not a big deal as I already compiled just the mame source and d/l an already compiled version of mameui which I just use for quick scan and play when I want to plus check if all files are working. Thats all.

Faster interface to get my results on the fly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like the MameUI team have moved the source to GitHub.

In MC64 go to the Downloads tab and select "Download File List" and then it should prompt to update, update it and then follow the MameUI compile instructions.

The MameUI source download now contains the entire source required to compile so you no longer need to download vanilla Mame first.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Is there a page or doc that explains the file location options needed to compile the latest ROM sets (v185, v185b emu in my case)?  I get what looks like a completed run of the program, using the images found on HeadKaze's site as instruction, but where does the output data go?  Where should the compiler be run from and does it need to be in specific folders to influence the roms?  etc.. thnx.

Hey Games001, I'll take a stab at clarifying.  There is no doc that I'm familiar with, and it's straight forward enough that one probably isn't necessary.

As long as you have the compiling tools (I linked the most recent versions in the other thread), any diff patches you desire, and the MAME source, you're good to go.

It doesn't matter where you put them, I just recommended following the directory structure headkaze has already provided for the sake of consistency.  For the build options, select those that best complement your system.

1  Apply dif patch (hiscore and any others)

2  Compile

Compiling does take some time, 40 minutes or so, but varies depending on your system.  Upon completion your compiled version of MAME will be in the MAME source folder.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...