All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Attract Mode Game Playing

anth72

I have read most of the forums and haven't seen exactly what I am looking for as far as a solution to my problem. I have 2 setups and I am not able to play games from the attract mode. Do the coin keys have to be mapped to "1" and "2" etc? I have my coin 1 mapped to "numenter" in Mame. When I hit this key it does put a coin in, sometimes it exits attract mode after a few seconds. Other times it exits when I press any other key on the game, such as start 1 player game, or jump, fire, etc. I am under the impression that once you put in a coin, it isn't in attract mode anymore. Is this correct? I could see that the coins would need to be mapped to 5,6 or whatever the default mame setup is for this to work.

On a side note, I have a setup that seems to hang on certain games. It appears that sometimes it hangs on a game for several cycles (time between games in config for attract). When one game is exited it goes direct to another game which needs to be exited before returning to the main menu. So that is a "hang" problem of sorts. How does Gameex actually kill the mame process? Does it run the "launch before" or "launch after" commands between games? It appears to. Please forgive me if I have missed this attract mode stuff here or in the documentation.

This was discussed recently. I think the resolution was that Tom was going to change the coin keys a little so that it wouldn't have to be 5 or 6. However, at the moment I don't think that's been incorporated. Thus, for me anyway, I have to keep the keyboard handy if I see a game I want to play in attract mode. I think it would also be possible to use AHK, AI, or XPadder to send whatever button you press and keyboard 5 so that GameEx sees it correctly. This is not an ideal solution, but it is all I can think of ATM.

That makes sense, I just didn't want to program my buttons differently unless I knew it was set to work with 5 and 6.

My plan is to make it so my coin ejects key a button mapped to "insert coin". I have an old tekken-3 modded machine that Gameex really has improved. Tom and everyone else who helped have done a great thing here.

I did this with my racing cab, but I haven't figured out a way to get the coin reject buttons to trigger my microswitch and NOT stick down. I'm just using industrial double sided tape, so if you fix the switch better, it should work great!

I have made the changes to my system and am able to play games in attract mode some of the time. However I have confirmed that it indeed "hangs" on certain games. They will sometimes stay for several cycles, then finally switch. When this is is the case, hitting a key causes a jump to the next game in attract mode, versus exiting. When this attract mode is "stuck" hitting the coin will insert a coin but any other key will jump it to the next game (exit). Are there settings that can cause this? I am using mame106. I am thinking of going to version 119 to see if it helps. However it runs fine on my other system with 106 as far as not getting "stuck" on a game. On that system pressing a key always exits to the menu. I don't have that one set to play yet. All help is greatly appreciated.