All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

How do i load a mame game on startup?

snoogens

I think there is a launch before and launch after section in the config (for when gameex starts). Just load up the rom in the launch after and see if that works.

Just curious, but what is the purpose of that?

I think there is a launch before and launch after section in the config (for when gameex starts). Just load up the rom in the launch after and see if that works.

Just curious, but what is the purpose of that?

I am building an arcade cabnet and i want it to load the original game at start-up.. i tryed putting the mame zip file in the launch before and i get an error..

I am building an arcade cabnet and i want it to load the original game at start-up.. i tryed putting the mame zip file in the launch before and i get an error..

Well do you want this cab to have multiple games?

If you are just trying to keep it original and only boot into one game.. Just use DOS.. Its a very quck boot up you dont have to worry about hot keys boot screens reg hacks etc...

Get a soundblaster.. They still have Dos drivers.. A vesa compatable graphics card and use DOS mame...

Edit the autoexec.bat accordingly... you know to launch mame with the rom name...

You know mame.exe sf2 or somthing

----------------

Or Check the FAQ there is a great section I posted all about how to hide windows edit the registry...

Launch a MAME game in gameex... (if it works ok) goto the gameex programs group.. Right click on run last game bat..Choose edit... You will see the proper command on how to launch a mame game..

Im afraid putting mame.zip in the startup wont work.

If you have any more questions please ask we will be happy to assist :)

You have to put the command line of mame with the rompath and rom in the launchbefore section.

Launch Before = "c:\emulators\mame\mame.exe c:\roms\mame\game.zip"

as an example

If that doesnt work I dont know what to tell you.

Maybe try it in the launch before? It will load the game, then when you exit it will load gameex.

Are you going to use gameex for other roms or this is only for this particular mame game?

You have to put the command line of mame with the rompath and rom in the launchbefore section.

Launch Before = "c:\emulators\mame\mame.exe c:\roms\mame\game.zip"

as an example

If that doesnt work I dont know what to tell you.

Maybe try it in the launch before? It will load the game, then when you exit it will load gameex.

Are you going to use gameex for other roms or this is only for this particular mame game?

I will be using GameEx for other things... i just want it to start with the game that matches the cabnet.. i will use escape to get back to gameex.. I tried the command path but i am not sure i am putting it in right "c:\mame\mame.exe; D:\mame roms\knignts.zip"

i keep getting an error

ok i got it to stop giving me the error but it just boots into gameex.. not the rom

this is the line i am using

c:\mame32\mame32.exe D:\mame roms\knignts.zip

i also tried

C:\Mame32\Mame32.exe knights -rompath D:\mame roms -triplebuffer -nowindow -joy

in the launch on startup

I will be using GameEx for other things... i just want it to start with the game that matches the cabnet.. i will use escape to get back to gameex.. I tried the command path but i am not sure i am putting it in right "c:\mame\mame.exe; D:\mame roms\knignts.zip"

i keep getting an error

your not doing it correctly..if your mame roms are not in the Roms folder in the install directoy you need to use the -rompath switch to define whre they are.. you are also not defining any other game options but this should at least get you going.

c:\mame\mame.exe knights.zip -rompath "D:\mame roms\"

Might work...

your not doing it correctly..if your mame roms are not in the Roms folder in the install directoy you need to use the -rompath switch to define whre they are.. you are also not defining any other game options but this should at least get you going.

c:\mame\mame.exe knights.zip -rompath "D:\mame roms\"

Might work...

i went with

C:\Mame32\Mame32.exe knights.zip -rompath "D:\mame roms" -triplebuffer -nowindow -joy

that did it. i still have a little tweeking to do but i think i can get it from here

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

If you are just trying to keep it original and only boot into one game.. Just use DOS.. Its a very quck boot up you dont have to worry about hot keys boot screens reg hacks etc...

I've been thinking about going this route on my next cab. I want to build a mini cab for my son so he can have his favorite game on there all the time. My old computers out in the garage are perfect for this as they are first generation pentiums (90 and 200 mhz) that are perfect for this sort of set-up. If he gets too bored with the game, I'll just edit the autoexec to launch a different rom on startup. Very simple. This was how I intended to set my cab up before a faster computer was donated to me and GameEx came into my life. Oh, the good old days.

Jay T

OK. So i got my mame rom to start first before GameEx using this command line in launch on start up

C:\Mame32\Mame32.exe knights.zip -rompath "D:\mame roms" -triplebuffer -nowindow -joy

the only problem i have left is i want to skip the disclamer screen.

Can anyone tell me how i can do this. i know gameex does it but since i am loading with the command line before gameex i allways have to press a key to bypass it. Is there something i can add to the command line to prevent this???

Thanks for any help.

mame32 version 0.106

I believe after the .96 build they took out the -Skip_disclaimer option.. You can try and add it to the command line.. Via the advanced mame settings in gameex.. But Im not sure it will work.

I posted a Patch that removes all messages from 118 build of mame and Headkaze posted one for 117 but we dont have one here for that build...

Two choices for you my friend.. (If the command line doesnt work)

1. Upgrade to mame 118 and upgrade romset.. Use patch :) Recommended

2. Use an older mame and the command switch. You will still se messages like the game has incorrect colors though...eg gallaga

I believe after the .96 build they took out the -Skip_disclaimer option.. You can try and add it to the command line.. Via the advanced mame settings in gameex.. But Im not sure it will work.

I posted a Patch that removes all messages from 118 build of mame and Headkaze posted one for 117 but we dont have one here for that build...

Two choices for you my friend.. (If the command line doesnt work)

1. Upgrade to mame 118 and upgrade romset.. Use patch :) Recommended

2. Use an older mame and the command switch. You will still se messages like the game has incorrect colors though...eg gallaga

I would be more then happy to upgrade but i have no idea how to use mame 118. i have it downloaded and i have the patch but not a clue how to use them.

I would be more then happy to upgrade but i have no idea how to use mame 118. i have it downloaded and i have the patch but not a clue how to use them.

Do you have the updated romset... Most will work but others have been added and and other have been redumped. If so.

I'd make a new folder and put your new mame in it.. Id copy your rom folder into the new folder.

Then Id launch the gameex advanced config. Id goto MAME SETTINGS and point to the new paths.

and change the mame32.exe to MAME.exe

Id update the game list and go from there.

I wouldn't however delete anything you have existing..This way you can go back if you are having a really hard time..

To be honest when you use MAME32 with gameex it uses the command line to run games there is no benefit or diffrence.

So switching to regular MAME isnt as big as a transition as people think..

Keep in mind since mame 117 they implemented a new video system.. Some command line switches are diffrent..

Good luck

Brian Hoffman

In your "Start" menu under GameEx you should have a "Last Played Game.bat" or something very close. (I am not near my arcade box right now.)

You could just copy that to your "Startup" folder, done!

Note: You would have to be sure to return to your preferred game before turning off the cabinet, if you want a specific game to load.