All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Favorites

sbaby

Do i have to re-import my favorit games' list if i install everything on a new hard disk drive and change the mame version?

No you shouldnt have to:

If your moving to a new system do the following:

1. Backup the entire c:\program files\gameex folder

2. Copy to the same place on the new system.

3. Install GameEx to the same location on the new system.

4. Ensure you install any emulators to the same location on the new system if possible. Although should not be needed for MAME.

• 3 weeks later...
Tom, but if i want export my favorites games from GameEx to an other pc without Gameex but with MAME SCREENSAVER, how?

My list is big.

No easy way for my MAME Screensaver app, you'd need to do this on the file level, and just make sure the folder only cotained the correct games. That app does not support favorites.

Well, but how can i see my favorites-roms-zip files ?

If I have to confront the titles them with mame32 one by one I employ time too much...help me please :unsure:

Theres no easy way, there stored in a custom text data file here:

c:\program files\gameex\data\gamelist.txt

I can't offer much more help on that for now.

• 3 months later...
Theres no easy way, there stored in a custom text data file here:

c:\program files\gameex\data\gamelist.txt

I can't offer much more help on that for now.

Tom, I just installed the latest gameex after a year and I lost all my favorites :(

Is it possible to keep my favorites list when I install a new version of gameex.

And I know I asked you this a long time ago but .... anyway of getting my list of favorite mame games (favorites.ini used by MAME) into a my gameex favorites list? I have like 300 MAME favorites which will take forever to port to Gameex ?

Cheers,

Brian.

Tom, I just installed the latest gameex after a year and I lost all my favorites :(

Is it possible to keep my favorites list when I install a new version of gameex.

And I know I asked you this a long time ago but .... anyway of getting my list of favorite mame games (favorites.ini used by MAME) into a my gameex favorites list? I have like 300 MAME favorites which will take forever to port to Gameex ?

Cheers,

Brian.

You shouldnt lose favorites, maybe it was because you upgraded from a really old version. I think I can do you request, can you send or get to me the favorites.ini file so I have something to work with.

Cheers.

Tom

You shouldnt lose favorites, maybe it was because you upgraded from a really old version. I think I can do you request, can you send or get to me the favorites.ini file so I have something to work with.

Cheers.

Tom

Cool. Mame stored favorites by rom name only. Justa text list like so...

[ROOT_FOLDER]

19xxjr1

20pacgal

invaders

Would be cool to be able to port my list over. Even using some external batch file or something. Doesn't have to be integrated to GameEx...although obviously that'd be great.

Also, while on the subject...

The favorites list in GameEx...would be nice if games were qualified by teh system they are for like so.

Rather than...

Ghouls n'Ghosts

Ghouls n'Ghosts

It would show...

Ghouls n'Ghosts (Sega Genesis)

Ghouls n'Ghosts (Arcade)

Cheers,

Brian.

Cool. Mame stored favorites by rom name only. Justa text list like so...

[ROOT_FOLDER]

19xxjr1

20pacgal

invaders

Would be cool to be able to port my list over. Even using some external batch file or something. Doesn't have to be integrated to GameEx...although obviously that'd be great.

Also, while on the subject...

The favorites list in GameEx...would be nice if games were qualified by teh system they are for like so.

Rather than...

Ghouls n'Ghosts

Ghouls n'Ghosts

It would show...

Ghouls n'Ghosts (Sega Genesis)

Ghouls n'Ghosts (Arcade)

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi, I actaually implemented custom mame32 folders last night so it will be in the next release.

Tom

Hi, I actaually implemented custom mame32 folders last night so it will be in the next release.

Tom

Awesome! :)

Will they be following the MAME32 standard as far as icons go? Meaning within the mame folder you create you can also specify an icon...

• 2 months later...

i would like to do a *fresh* install of gameex (due to some problems i've encountered). do i understand correctly that there is currently no way to just backup gameex favorites? this might be a nice tool to add to the gameex distribution for users like me or users who want to transfer favorites to another system (that already have their own unique configs). this could be accomplished not only for mame but for other emulators as well. users could backup the favorites for a specific emulator to a *.fav file and then import that file for an installed emulator on a target machine. the only possible conflict is that the target machine may not have those particular roms installed but i'm sure this conflict can be managed somehow. it would also allow users to trade lists of their favorite games. this is something a few friends of mine would be interested in.

i would like to do a *fresh* install of gameex (due to some problems i've encountered). do i understand correctly that there is currently no way to just backup gameex favorites? this might be a nice tool to add to the gameex distribution for users like me or users who want to transfer favorites to another system (that already have their own unique configs). this could be accomplished not only for mame but for other emulators as well. users could backup the favorites for a specific emulator to a *.fav file and then import that file for an installed emulator on a target machine. the only possible conflict is that the target machine may not have those particular roms installed but i'm sure this conflict can be managed somehow. it would also allow users to trade lists of their favorite games. this is something a few friends of mine would be interested in.

Its funny you should mention that, I'm actually redoing the way GameEx handles favorites right now, and storing them in an access database, which will make it much easier to manage favorites from a backend perspective.

• 1 month later...