All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[CLOSED] mame settings

sms2169

hello, since my new install of gameex 16.27 and mame196 after a crash i can set up mame buttons and save them and close it and restart and still keep the settings, but as soon i launch gameex to play a mame game it wipes out all my settings, only for the joysticks and buttons but not the spinners or trackball. i use ultimarc mini pacs. never had this happen before.  my usb's are on all the time, permissions are full control-admin, changed mame configs to read only but cannot figure why all of the sudden this is happening, thx.

log.txt GameEx.ini runitgame.bat mame.ini

Hey sms,

Does Mame loose it's joystick and button config every single time you close GameEx/Mame down?

Are GameEx and Mame the only thing that needed to be reinstalled or did you have to reinstall Windows 7 as well?
      Nevermind on this one. I see from your other thread that you reinstalled Windows 7.

I assume you set up global controls for Mame and then have been testing on one game or a small set of games, correct?

I have experienced this sort of issue myself when using controllers that I do not always have plugged in. I have also read comments on other forums of users experiencing similar thing even when they have dedicated controllers. Knowing what I know about GameEx, I believe this is likely related to how Mame and Windows handles USB Controllers. As a test, would you please run Mame outside GameEx, set up a controller, exit Mame, and then rerun Mame again to see if the issue reoccurs?

Also, If you happen to still have your previous version of Mame data, you might test with that. Perhaps an older version of Mame will handle it differently.

it wipes all my  button, joystick setups from my mini pac controllers every time i open gameex.  i had to reinstall windows 7 on my c drive and my front end , emulators, roms, led blinky etc., everything i use for arcade is on a seperate drive. i setup mame, play games, close it out and reopen and its fine. i have had issues in the past with windows reassigning usb inputs but thats not troubling me now.  my controllers stay plugged in and stay assigned to the same usb even after restart and mame keeps its config also. as soon as i start gameex and try to run a mame game it erases every mame button, joystick assignment from my minipac keyboard controller #4 and resets to defaulst of keyboard 1 which is my computer keyboard but anything i changed in mame it just clears that and is set to none.  mame 196 and gameex version from april of last year was what i had setup on my system with no issues for years even with doing mame and gameex updates.  i do notice that when i press tab in gameex to check mame buttons and reassign in there it doesnt recognize my keyboard controllers with different id's if that helps.  for instance my player 1 is keyboard 4, player 2 is keyboard 3 and computer keyboard is keyboard 1.  that designation is not present when assigning from inside gameex but is when mame is launched outside gameex.  it just for example says up for player 1 and 2 instead of keyboard 4 up, keyboard 3 up.  and i know mame will reset if they are not recognized. so i guess im asking if gameex is not handling my controllers like it did in past versions. thx also it only changes my controllers in mame but other changes in mame like video, paths, advanced options, etc stay saved.

just reassigned my guide and player 1 controls in mame and played game closed out, re opened and fine.  the restarted computer and mame is still holding settings. so before i open gameex again and lose them ill wait for some testing or checking i guess. hopefully someone else that has similar controllers to mine can verify gameex is not recognizing different controllers and only sees them as all the same controller.  just a shot in the dark.  thx guys.

it wasnt that because now that my default config in mame is read only it only clears when i open gameex but when i exit gameex and open mame my settings are still there.  you can mark this resolved because im wiping that drive and restarting because since new install of windows im having more issues which could be related especially with my permissions. thx for the suggestions.