All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Noobie Question, Considering Switch to GameEx

Dexll

I'm thinking of jumping over from LaunchBox to GameEx due to the stagnant state of LaunchBox's Arcade database.  Does GameEx database stay current with MAME releases?  Does it use/rely on the catver.ini etc.?

My problem is the newer supported titles for MAME show up in LB with nothing more than their name.  No genre, description, regions, controls, number of players, etc...

Edit:  Follow up question, does GameEx support MAME ini files in general?  The ini files that would go into the Folders folder in the MAME directory. 

I am actually curious about all three versions.  Does the $50 licence give you access to all 3?  I am mainly interested in it as a Frontend for retro gaming, so the completeness and quality of the media and game information is appealing to me. 

Isn't GameEx Evolution just GameEX 2.0 more or less?  I do have a full arcade cabinet so I am interested in that version too.  Is it based off GameEx or GameEx Evo?

I see the video media is provided by emumovies (which I have a subscription) but I am curious, if you were to compare the media library (game boxes/flyers/screenshots/etc) of GameEx and LB, which do you feel is more complete?

The Annual and Lifetime licenses give you access to all 3 versions. 

GameEx Evolution is new from the ground up.

GameEx Arcade Edition is derivative of "legacy" GameEx with enhancements more specifically with arcade cabinets in mind.

I can't answer what media is more complete in comparison for either. Both frontends share much of the same media via Emumovies, while some created for LB is derived and customized content from Emumovies, Hyperspin, and even user created media from here.

Hopefully that helps.

I would suggest you just install and try. You do not need to purchase to try them out. If you don't like it no worries. The MAME features in all editions of GameEx are generally very complete and the most worked on features in general. The primary author started the whole thing with a passion for Arcade/MAME as opposed to DOSBox I believe.