All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Slow performance with themes

John Simon

Sorry if this is covered in another post.  I could not find anything in a search.  I was trying different themes, and getting pretty poor performance.  I typically use the GameEx Animated theme and it performs very well.   I tried a number of others like Brokeh and Retro Arcade HD and there are really long hangs with a black screen when I back out of the the list of games on a specific emulator.  I thought it might be something that goes away after going in and out of each emulator's list of games, but it remains.  Going into a list of emulated games is fast, but backing out hangs for 20-30 seconds.  Any thoughts on things to try?  

I would tell you the version info of GameEx, but I'm not sure where to find it.  

Thanks,

-John

I have setup some of my themes with news RSS streams specific to a related topic, such as MAME news, Atari news, etc.

I do not recall Brokeh being one of them where the feeds were leveraged. It has been a while so my recall may be in error

I do recall on later themes running into RSS streams that were no longer working due to source URL changes or removed altogether since the theme was created with no ill effects, such as slowness to load or exit an emulator section.

While it may not fix your current issue, you need to upgrade your GameEx version15.73 to the current 16.27.

Your MAME version is 0.182 is also dated and not without some issues with GameEx and it is recommended to upgrade it and your ROMS to match.

Once you have at least addressed upgrading your GamEx version, try selecting the Default-Default theme. Then attach updated copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files. 

Looks like the upgrade fixed the problem one way or another.  It was log overdue.  Thanks!  One odd thing was my videos weren't playing with the clean install into a new directory.  I reinstalled the codecs and no luck, but found a thread that had me change the config and everything is good there.

One thing remaining is I was trying to use the Retro Arcade HD which is 1920x1080 (the same as my display), but I am getting overscan all 4 sides.  My desktop is fine.  Did I mess up a setting somewhere?  It is like the background is stretched because the video overlay and other graphics don't line up with the background graphics.

Thanks,

-John

Please locate and attach copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files for review.

Also, try loading another 1920x1080 theme to see if the "overscan" continues and report back. Thanks.

I did try another theme, and it has the same behavior... but a day later it is working fine.  Not sure what I changed or maybe a reboot fixed it.  If I see it again, I will open another thread.  Thanks again for the help!