All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

weird issue

DJ Infinity

I have the latest version of Game Ex installed on my Alienware Laptop and my MSI Stealth Laptop. On my Alienware laptop I can start and exit emulators no problem. But for some reason on the MSI Stealth when I exit out of a emulator I get a black screen and have to restart to use my laptop again. Has any1 ran into this before? and if so how was it corrected? I am using 64 bit versions on both and nothing special tweaked.

Have not heard of this before, but if running all things equal on both, then it may be down to a difference in video drivers.

Can you attach copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt file right after the error occurs from the impacted laptop?

Also, you may wish to check the Event Viewer for any oddities.

got to work and fired up the alienware laptop. yep definitely something weird going on. the log file from the msi is missing a complete set of instructions. now as to why I dont know. I see it says invalid path for steam. but the path is actually where steam is. 

log.txt

3 hours ago, DJ Infinity said:

I am running 64 Bit on both. I wonder should I go Back to 32 bit.

You can if you desire but it may not be any different. I am curious if we can get to the bottom of the MSI issue with 64 bit version.

6 hours ago, ps42play said:

I use stealth and had this issue appear only once for some reason, the first time I closed emulator, since then it was fine, but then, there was also driver update, so maybe it had something to do with it

well wasn't working before the driver updates. thought maybe as Draco suggested. I updated the  video driver. I also reinstalled 32 bit instead of 64 bit. No luck on my MSI stealth.  At this point Ill just wait on updates and keep installing them. By the by auto update doesn't work on either. This is the laptop https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-17-3-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-max-q-1tb-solid-state-drive-matte-black-with-gold-diamond-cut/6343296.p?skuId=6343296

Dunno If this helps or not but attached is a comparison log of both the MSI and Alienware if you notice there are instructions missing from the MSI. I dunno if Game Ex is crashing after I exit the emulator or not. But the comparison logs point to that. Both are setup the same, permissions etc. I may not be able to run Game Ex on my MSI laptop. I can manually exit emulators and change no problem. I just cant use Game Ex on this machine and do it. I'll live. I appreciate everyone's input :)

Proof.txt

17:57:25.00 2/17/2020: Reinitializing Graphics System

That is what made me suspicious if your GPU and suggest updating the driver to begin with.

Is the most recent driver from MSI, Nvidia, or Windows driver?

In Windows, go to your search in the bottom right near the Start button and simply type Event Viewer. It should come up as the first option in the pop-up window. You will need to know the date and time of the event (approximately) and see if anything shows under the Windows Logs, specifically Application and/or System for that date and time stamp - in this case, 17:57:25.00 2/17/2020: Reinitializing Graphics System

You may also want to check under Applications and Services Logs > Hardware Events.

You may not find anything conclusive, or you may find a trove if issues you were not aware of that may have an impact.

27 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

No reason codes noted?

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Winsrv
      [ Guid] {9d55b53d-449b-4824-a637-24f9d69aa02f}

EventID 10002

Version 0

Level 4

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000