All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Windows 10 Latest Update Issues

Moe_49

Is anyone having issues with PinballX since the latest windows 10 update?  I am using pinballx front end and loading pinball fx3 exclusively.  Front end loads the game, it runs for a few seconds then the play field gets covered by a black screen.  I can exit out to the pinball x menu and scroll through to other games but the issues persists.  Has anyone else had issues since the latest update to windows 10.  Mine worked fine for 1 year completely problem free?

be more specific you mean feature update like 1909 ? or some minor update. I've heared similar stories with someone on facebook having problems with pinball fx3 after upgrading to 1909 i'm still on 1903 myselve and not eager to upgrade. Also not sure if the problems are related to pinball x or pinball fx3 or the combination of both that got mentioned. I just did not dare to upgrade yet

10 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I'm on 1909 and doesn't face any issues with fx3. I must say, I didn't play a lot the lost couple of months 

Must have been something different, i just saw the original facebook post again. The person had problems with pinball fx3 minimizing to desktop after latest feature update. He could stop it by terminating gamebar. Maybe something similar is happening here i have gamebar disabled on my cabinet, but can't remember how i did it. I'm still too affraid to upgrade to 1909 but eventually it will get pushed through windows updates so won't have a choise.

Edit: i will force update my main pc to 1909 and see if i got a similar problem

28 minutes ago, joyrider3774 said:

Must have been something different, i just saw the original facebook post again. The person had problems with pinball fx3 minimizing to desktop after latest feature update. He could stop it by terminating gamebar. Maybe something similar is happening here i have gamebar disabled on my cabinet, but can't remember how i did it. I'm still too affraid to upgrade to 1909 but eventually it will get pushed through windows updates so won't have a choise.

Edit: i will force update my main pc to 1909 and see if i got a similar problem

You can always revert back to previous version in one month
I'm not a steam expert, but what is gamebar ? 
I have my steam also on auto-update, so if a new version of FX3 is there, it will autoupdate the next time I launch a table

gamebar is a feature for games from windows 10 to "enhance" (game mode), record game video's etc but it causes more problems than it does anything good.  The settings are in the settings app in gaming section. But i disabled it using registry but would not be surprised they renable it after the feature update. The guy on facebook did not find a way to disable to it again but i did not look at it myselve yet.

image.thumb.png.72fa2dea6544bd102e660ffd79f05ca3.png

ok so i just updated to latest pinballx version and latest windows 1909 feature update + all extra updates. I'm also having the problem on my main pc. What happens is the same thing the original guy on facebook had problems with and what @Moe_49 is describing. Pinball FX3 seems to get minimized after it's started by pinball X leaving a black screen (being the table playfield video box). I'll see if i can find a way around it, but i'm definatly not updating my cabinet now

Edit1: does not seem to happen when launching pinball fx3 from steam and does not seem to happen from command prompt. You can however alt+tab back to pinball fx3 so still not sure if pinball x and the latest windows (feature) update + extra updates is causing it it also does not seem to happen every time. I remember having a problem on my cabinet where pinball fx3 exited full screen mode randomly and setting it to borderless fullscreen (borderless window option in video settings) seemed to had it fixed but i'm not sure it's the same issue @Moe_49 could you try setting up pinball fx3 to use borderless fullscreen instead of normal fullscreen and see if it still happens

Edit2: Setting up pinball fx3 to use borderless window in the settings, i can not seem to reproduce the problem anymore so i'm guessing it's more a pfx3 problem than pinballx problem. 

Thanks to everyone who joined in on the conversation. I am in the process of removing my pc and monitors from my cab to do some fine tuning.  If I remember correctly I am set up as a border less window for the play field.  Also, when I enter into pbfx3 directly, I have no issues.  I actually have 2 cabinets doing this and I think they are both on the 1909 version of windows 10.  Once I get the pc set back up I will confirm all of my settings.  If the problem persists, I will post the log files.   THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED

Checked today (sorry didn't have  time to check my cab before)
I'm running windows 1909, latest PBX version and FX3 in full screen mode and tables are launching fine for me.
I have a 2 display setup with a real DMD. Are you guys using a 3 screen setup (I know Joyrider has)

I actually only have 2 displays and no real dmd just 2 screens. But i tested this on my main pc having a single screen and it happened there. I won't be updating my cabinet, or at least wont force it. (cabinet is still on 1903)

But i had similar problems (both on main pc and on cabinet) when they were still running 1903, but the problem was then pinball fx3 exited full screen randomly and only solution i had found was to set up borderless window. (I had tried many different video card drivers without success and was running out of ideas).

with 1909 the problems seems similar although now it seems to be minimizing fx3 when running full screen (normal) and again for me at least borderless windowed seems to have fixed it

I dismantled my pc and monitors so I can finish my cab.  When I moved everything to my office and reconnected I had issues getting the playfield to show up on correct monitor.  I don't know what I did but I eventually got all the monitors to display correctly.  My next step was to enter into pinballx, the menu showed up like it usually does, minus a few backglass images.  I loaded a table with out issue and was able to play the game.  The black screen didn't show up, so I tried at least 10 different tables and shut down my computer multiple times and have not had any issues.  I am currently running windows 10 64 bit, version 1809.  My pc is prompting me to upgrade to 1909.  I will up grade and see what it does.

PinballX.ini [SETTINGS].log log.txt SetupWizard.log XDMDlog.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Yes......I just added a topic. After three days of troubleshooting I can positively reproduce Windows recent update/updates causing operational issues with PinballX. I worry new users in future will not be able to get PinballX functioning cleanly. Please see Windows update topic I posted for complete description.