All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] PBX Recorder is recording windows "behind" my playfield

gpstevens

Hello, I recently upgraded to the latest version of PinballX (v4.06). Historically, I've used PBXRecorder to record all my videos after I add a new table to my system. It is an fantastic tool and has been working great for years. But since upgrading to v4.06, PBXRecorder the playfield video capture is not working correctly.  It does capture a video of the playfield monitor, but instead of capturing the actual pinball playfield, it is capture the desktop "behind" the playfield, and it's rotated 180 degrees (aka upside down).

The only change I am aware that I did, was since upgrading my machine was running certain VPX tables a little sluggish, so I configured VPX to work in full screen exclusive mode.  Thinking this might be the problem, I turned the setting in the Settings.exe app to full screen exclusive mode, but it didn't make a difference.  Has anyone seen this problem before?  I'm sure it's just a setting I have wrong in my system.

On a side note, I tried using the video capture feature now built into the Game Manager, but I got the same result...it recorded the desktop of my playfield monitor and it was 180 rotated same as if I used PBXRecorder.

The game I added to my system was "Bally Game Show" so you will see that in the attached settings files I have included.  Can someone help look into this for me?

PinballX.ini log.txt PBXrecorder.log

Mike_da_Spike,

I have attached the log.txt after creating the playfield video in Game Manager.  I am having one other small issue with Game Manager. It seems when I run the app, it successfully opens with table and records the various videos, but it doesn't exit back out the table when the recording is done...the table stays running. I eventually have to hit the Esc key to exit the table from VPX and then Game Manager returns. Maybe this is related to my problem somehow?

log.txt

I ser that ffmpeg is run twice in the log. And convert twice with different parameters 

Not sure why this happens. @Tom Speirs you know whats in the code. Why is ffmpeg starts twice for capturing playfield ?

And do you known @gpstevensthat You run Win7 that isnt supported anymore ?

Re pbxrecorder - i think you are correct that setting VPX to fullscreen exclusive is the cause of the issue there.

From the log you're running Version 1.3beta, pbx recorder added fullscreen exclusive code in V1.6.

So... either turn off vpx fullscreen mode before recording, or update pbx recorder !

I don't see how updating pinballx can have ann effect on pbxrecorder. As far as i'm aware it only loops over the database xml files and all the rest is autohotkey scripting and using ffmpeg.exe.

Have you tried disabling fullscreen exclusive mode inside visual pinball settings and not pinball x settings? Also you could try updating ffmpeg.exe but could be its the exclusive mode inside vpx not pbx

Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't realize there was a newer version of PBX Recorder that you had to download separately. I mistakenly thought that it would be included in the PinballX upgrade.  So I download PBX Recorder v1.6 and it solved my playfield recording problem!!  I think it was related to me setting VPX into fullscreen exclusive mode, and this feature wasn't supported until a later version of PBX Recorder. 

Thanks, I will consider my issue resolved!

22 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I ser that ffmpeg is run twice in the log. And convert twice with different parameters 

Not sure why this happens. @Tom Speirs you know whats in the code. Why is ffmpeg starts twice for capturing playfield ?

And do you known @gpstevensthat You run Win7 that isnt supported anymore ?

Are we talking about PBXRecorder or PBX? The two are unrelated, right?

As for two FFPMEGs and PBX, it has to rotate the video mainly. It does two passes for performance reasons. Grabbing HD and UHD via GDI is slow.