All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] FTP Slow on port 21, not downloading on port 22

Mike_da_Spike

When using filezilla connecting to FTP to upload or download, the connection to the FTP server and browsing is very slow when I connect to ftp.gameex.com on port 21
When using ftp.gameex.com:22 the connection is fast, I can browse fast, but the server response on upload or download is "500 Command not allowed"

image.png.7bac5ba3606a95acb5286d8a1a14e72e.png

How can I get best of both worlds ?
Instead of waiting 15 seconds per click on port 21 , but able to download oR clicking fast to the file on port 22, but not able to download, to do all in a normal way :)

Ive found issues with port 21 in recent years while SSH (normally port 22) works well.

I believe the issue is that ISPs throttle port 21 and not 22 because it is ssh.

Ill see what I can do and maybe move browsing and upload to another port. Then provide 22 too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tom Speirs said:

Ive found issues with port 21 in recent years while SSH (normally port 22) works well.

I believe the issue is that ISPs throttle port 21 and not 22 because it is ssh.

Ill see what I can do and maybe move browsing and upload to another port. Then provide 22 too.

Awesome thanks Tom !

It's indeed popular ! :P
Are those un-authenticated access attempts, or they try with userid and passwords ?

EDIT: 
Maybe stupid question, but using gamemanger give me a fast response to "browse"and download. Is that placebo effect for me or is gamemanger uses another method ?

i'm having a similar problem for some time now. initial connection takes a while before it happens and i can see files once i do see them i can browse the ftp normally. But when i want to download something it also takes a while before it starts (probably because it makes a new connection). but once it starts downloading downloading the queue seems to go ok. I'm pretty sure my isp does not throttle ftp in belgium. I'm using tls connection using filezilla also. once download starts it seems to go fast as far as i can tell. Not sure whats causing it but i seem to remember about a year ago i did not have this problem.

I don't really consider it a problem and i'm used to it already but i'm not sure if that's what mike is seeing

Yup same as I see.

I itial connection takes 15 sec after authentication.  But also browsing takes 15 sec per directory. I also have it on my work network that has a pretty open connection to internet.

Port 22 works correct, only server (?)denies the download. Tom will check this :banana:

Its not the download part itself. 

Its the connection and browsing part. I'm used that when authentication is done I can use it, but wait for 15 sec. When browsing or selecting a file it wait for 15 sec. When download is starting all is fine. 

Changing to port 22 (instead of 21) is a hige difference, but the download fails 

• Thanks 1

Gotcha

I noticed about a ten second delay before initial browsing over port 21, but after that it's fairly prompt when browsing between directories.

Connected over port 22 is noticeably faster, especially on the initial directory prompt.

initial connection and starting downloads is fast now for me on port 22 and downloads work with good speed. on port 21 i still have the slow initial connections for connecting and starting a download or if the connection times out due to not browsing the ftp fast enough and selecting a new directory (maybe mike had that problem) as before when i was connected (on port 21) i could browse fast unless i waited a bit and it had to make a new connection to show the directory listing. So port 22 is definatly faster now for me. Have not tried uploading using port 22 as i don't have anything to upload. Thanks for the fix i think i'll keep using port 22 as well now (explicit ftp over tls i was using).