All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] How To Only Show Installed Games

SirAbsolute

Hey everyone, I am currently trying to build a Cocktail gaming machine with Windows 10 and Mame. The machine is currently running Mame 0.16b with the GameEx Arcade Frontend. I have about 30 roms installed, but on the GameEx Arcade it shows that I have 1000 games with the artworks and sometimes videos. I have checked the "Only Working Games" under MAME setting in the Setup Wizard but it did not do anything. Is there anyway I can only show the names of the games I have?

Although it takes a bit more manual setup, the standard GameEx would allow you to do this. You would ignore the integrated Mame setup and instead configure Mame in the Emulator section. There is an option in the Enable/Disable Features called 'Fix to Emulator' that can be used to only allow the one emulator to be used. You essentially would have a 30 in 1 setup, which is what I think you are looking for.

GameEx Arcade is kind of a one and done solution that hard codes many settings, but allows for a much easier setup. It also has the nice wheel GUI when navigating games. The standard GameEx allows for a lot more tweaking, which can be a bit daunting for some users at first. If you really want to stick to the older Mame, you might consider giving it a go.

I am using that version because that is the only one that I found with a complete rom set of games. I really do not want to download game by game and test them out. Unless, do  you happen to have a link for a newer version of Mame with a bunch of game roms installed?

Okay, so I got the GameEx showing only installed games like I wanted. But now I can't setup "multiple keyboards" for my two controllers. After I bind the keys on Mame, it reset when opening GameEx, and on GameEx I can only bind for one controller. I could do this on GameEx Arcade, but not GameEx. I have also tried using a newer version of Mame (0.216) to test it, but the problem persists. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Than you, it solves the problem. I have two more questions, is there anyway I can get rid of the clock here, it is overlapping with other text on the screen. And for some reason if I leave the machine running GameEx and just keep playing games, the controls won't reset, but as soon as I exit the program, the controls reset again?

83379066_484388615600589_8178834994035163136_n.jpg

As far as the date and time overlap, I am guessing that the theme you are using isn't a great match for your resolution, so it is scrunching assets together. The date/time is part of the theme and cannot be disabled within the Setup Wizard. You have two choices:

• Try different themes until you find one that 'fits' better'. I would guess that one of the default themes that comes with the install should work out.
  • If the date and time is the only issue you have with the theme you currently have, you could use the Theme Editor to disable the date and time. The Theme Editor is located in the GameEx folder. After you launch it, it will have an option to edit an existing theme. Navigate to the GameEx\THEMES folder, then into the folder of the theme you are using, and then choose the Theme.ini file. After the theme opens, go to Edit > Options > Settings and uncheck Show Date/Time. Then save the theme and close it out. Now, I would actually go one step further by making a copy of the folder of the theme I was using and then edit it instead and then choosing that updated theme using the Setup Wizard. That is up to you.

As far as the controls problem, are you referring to the controls within GameEx or Mame? I think it would be a good idea to post your current GameEx.ini, log.txt, and CustomInput.ini (if you are using customer inputs) for this one. Log.txt can be found in GameEx\LOGS and the ini files can be found in GameEx\CONFIG.

Thanks.

Okay, the controls that I am talking about is the controls for any games in Mame, stuff like Player 1 up, down, left right and Player 2 up, down, left, right. I will surely send the Log file, but I am currently out of town and won't be back until Tuesday. Therefore, I will have to postpone the thread until Tuesday.

10 hours ago, SirAbsolute said:

Okay, the controls that I am talking about is the controls for any games in Mame, stuff like Player 1 up, down, left right and Player 2 up, down, left, right. I will surely send the Log file, but I am currently out of town and won't be back until Tuesday. Therefore, I will have to postpone the thread until Tuesday.

Load the game you want to play in MAME and hit TAB on your keyboard. From there you can set your controls as you like. Most emulators require that you enter the settings of the emulator or the game to map your controls, but accessing the settings within each can be different.

4 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Load the game you want to play in MAME and hit TAB on your keyboard. From there you can set your controls as you like. Most emulators require that you enter the settings of the emulator or the game to map your controls, but accessing the settings within each can be different.

To add to that, for Mame, you will see an option to set global controls as well as controls for the current game. Set up your global controls first, then fine tune controls for individual games.

Another possibility could be that the controls are momentarily being unrecognized by Mame resulting in them being reset. This video speaks about that:

Okay, so I have figured some stuff out. 

I believe that the reason why the controls keep resetting after reboot is because the mapping of the controllers change after each reboot. Therefore, Mame could not recognize the controls again and reset them. To solve this problem I had to unplug the keyboard, just have the two controllers, mapped them (make sure they are recognized as keyboard 1 and keyboard 2), and then make the control/config file read only. A better way is to just leave the machine running 24/7 and it will never change the control.

My new question is there is one button on the controller that is bind to Esc. However, when I press that button in GameEx, it exits the program. I tried rebinding Esc to BACK under Input (GameEx setup wizard), but it still exited the program. How do I unbind the key for Exit entirely in GameEx? 

There is a setting for that.

Go to Enable/Disable Features and set Disable Escape Key to Yes.

I do suggest you have some way to close down GameEx gracefully, such as the Shutdown function. If you are banking on using Alt-F4 or the task manager, I suggest against it as those should be used as a last resort such as a lock-up.

Also, if you have new questions unrelated to the original post, please open a new thread. It makes it easier for other members to search for solutions if they encounter similar problems.